ilias

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i bought a 7string guitar with 26.5" scale length,it was second hand, and the owner told me that it had some rottosound 10s, the problem is that the tension on the low Bb is very low and it gives alot of buzzing... i thought it was because of the action, i gave it almost 3mm of action and it still buzzes... the truss rod is also ok, so it lead me to say that the problem is the tension of this specific string.. im not sure but the 10s 7sting packs of rottosound give a 56 as a 7th string..which some people told me that it has very low tension for a 7 sting guitar...i think it gives about 14 lbs, what do you think? should a bigger gauge fix the problem? what set would you suggest? on my 6strings i play with 9s and 10s, on E standar and Eb tunings.. some times i drop the Eb to C#... the sevenstring will be also in these tunings... Bb and Droped some times..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ Yeah standard 7 sets are nonsense - 10 13 17 26 36 46 62 is a logical set for standard tuning. If you are dropping and playing flat I would go with 66

Reaction score
Okay I have recently bought and built a 7 string it came with a Floyd rose(not a knock off) and I have the strings on there and every time I get it tuned to standard (B-e) the Floyd is always pulled up to far, or the strings just pop off and I tighten the bots on the bridge as tight as I can, what do I need to do? This is my first Floyd

ilias

Reaction score
Okay I have recently bought and built a 7 string it came with a Floyd rose(not a knock off) and I have the strings on there and every time I get it tuned to standard (B-e) the Floyd is always pulled up to far, or the strings just pop off and I tighten the bots on the bridge as tight as I can, what do I need to do? This is my first Floyd

i dont know much about floyds, but i think that the strings are asking too much pressure on the bridge. there are 2 solutions, 1. you put on your guitar lighter strings(what does it have now on it?) or 2. you should tight more the resistance of the floyd(i think it has 2-3 springs under it that are giving it the pressure it needs to balance the string pressure)

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I play in Drop A (AEADGBA) on my 27" Baritone ESP NT-7b. The A is a bit spaghetti for some reason with the standard 56/46/36/26W/17/13/10 factory strings.

What should I replace my low A string with? (Everything else plays fine).

A 70 in A will have almost the exact same tension as a 46 in E, though anything from 64 to 70 will be suitable.

FrettedChainsaw

TheGeoluhreadTides
Reaction score
Hi, need some help!
I´ve got a couple of packages of Dunlop Strings Zakk Wylde sets. I plan on using them on my les paul, as the 3 lower strings have the DIT (Dunlop increased tension) thing going on, and it should be great for shorter scale guitars.
The thing is, if I use them in my other 25.5 scale guitars, do I really have to adjust the neck to the tension, or is that increased tension thing just pure marketing? Does anybody have any experience with them?

ilias

Reaction score
Hi, need some help!
I´ve got a couple of packages of Dunlop Strings Zakk Wylde sets. I plan on using them on my les paul, as the 3 lower strings have the DIT (Dunlop increased tension) thing going on, and it should be great for shorter scale guitars.
The thing is, if I use them in my other 25.5 scale guitars, do I really have to adjust the neck to the tension, or is that increased tension thing just pure marketing? Does anybody have any experience with them?

what string gauge do you have now on the other 25.5 guitar?
what gauge are the strings in the dunlop zakk wydle set?

Urushdaur

Reaction score
hey guys what's up. i have a Jackson RR kevin bond 25.5 scale and i use A#(A#, D#, G#, C#, F, A#) tuning with a set of GHS 7 (10-60). and now i'm planning to use bigger strings for example a Dunlop eight string set or an ernie ball or GHS so what do you think about it? any experiences or thoughts?
cheers!

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
hey guys what's up. i have a Jackson RR kevin bond 25.5 scale and i use A#(A#, D#, G#, C#, F, A#) tuning with a set of GHS 7 (10-60). and now i'm planning to use bigger strings for example a Dunlop eight string set or an ernie ball or GHS so what do you think about it? any experiences or thoughts?
cheers!

your set looks ok at the bottom, but the treble end is super slinky. I think you should have at least a set of thirteens.

len 25.5
B3b .010 dapl == 8.11# limp
F3 .013 dapl == 7.69# as a
D3b .017 dapl == 8.28# noooodle

A2b .036 danw == 17.4#
E2b .052 danw == 19.61#
B1b .060 danw == 15.22#

you could even take the set that you have, throw out the ten and put a .026 in the middle and it would fix the problem. If you don't want to canoodle with it too much, then here is my favorite choice out of your more "stock" options (d'addario 13-62)

len 25.5
B3b .013 dapl == 13.7#
F3 .017 dapl == 13.15#
D3b .026 danw == 16.4#
A2b .036 danw == 17.4#
E2b .046 danw == 15.58#
B1b .062 danw == 16.17#

purchase here:
D'Addario XL Nickel Wound Baritone Guitar Strings

Urushdaur

Reaction score
your set looks ok at the bottom, but the treble end is super slinky. I think you should have at least a set of thirteens.

len 25.5
B3b .010 dapl == 8.11# limp
F3 .013 dapl == 7.69# as a
D3b .017 dapl == 8.28# noooodle

A2b .036 danw == 17.4#
E2b .052 danw == 19.61#
B1b .060 danw == 15.22#

you could even take the set that you have, throw out the ten and put a .026 in the middle and it would fix the problem. If you don't want to canoodle with it too much, then here is my favorite choice out of your more "stock" options (d'addario 13-62)

len 25.5
B3b .013 dapl == 13.7#
F3 .017 dapl == 13.15#
D3b .026 danw == 16.4#
A2b .036 danw == 17.4#
E2b .046 danw == 15.58#
B1b .062 danw == 16.17#

purchase here:
D'Addario XL Nickel Wound Baritone Guitar Strings
thanks, i use a 7 string set of GHS it's 10-13-17-26-36-46-60
the d'addario set seems to be right but, what about a 8 string set and some 74 in the 6 string?

Cloudkicker112358

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question for you. I did an experiment with string gauges and tunings in an attempt to find the perfect tension for certain strings. I put a mixed set of .011-.015-.020-.026-0.036-0.054 on my Fender stratocaster. I found that the perfect tensions for the strings were as follows: 14-16 lb for high e, 15-17 lb for b, 17-19 lb for g, 15-17 lb for d, 16-18 lb for a, and 17-19 lb for low e. So, I did all the math and it ends up that on a 28 inch scale Demon 8 I would need a 0.086 or 0.090 for Drop E if I wanted to have the tension I liked for my sixth e string. I just don't know if I should throw one of those on there since a very experienced guitarist that I well respect says those strings are way too big. What do you guys think? Another thing: I posted on Ernie Ball's wall and said they should add gauges between 0.070 and 0.090 for 7 and 8 stringers and maybe even bigger. They said they would make those gauges if they get the demand for it. So, if you guys also posted on their wall, it might actually be a possibility. Thanks!

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If an 86 or 90 seems to be the right thing for you then go for it. Just be sure to make all the normal adjustments to the truss rod and intonation as you would with any other setup.

People seem to get really scared at big numbers when tuning down, but fail to realize that with a number that "looks" right, they're more than likely going to end up with spaghetti. This is why the overwhelming majority of 7 and 8 string sets are so unbalanced on the lower strings; because the numbers "seem right"

You wouldn't believe the looks I've gotten when I tell people I use a 74 for Ab :lol: even though it has less tension than a 49 in E

Cloudkicker112358

Reaction score
If an 86 or 90 seems to be the right thing for you then go for it. Just be sure to make all the normal adjustments to the truss rod and intonation as you would with any other setup.

People seem to get really scared at big numbers when tuning down, but fail to realize that with a number that "looks" right, they're more than likely going to end up with spaghetti. This is why the overwhelming majority of 7 and 8 string sets are so unbalanced on the lower strings; because the numbers "seem right"

You wouldn't believe the looks I've gotten when I tell people I use a 74 for Ab :lol: even though it has less tension than a 49 in E

Thanks for the input! Hopefully, I won't have to make too many adjustments to the guitar, because its stock strings are 9-80. I have actually found a general rule with tension. For every octave you go down, double the string gauge(give or take a few notches). By this principle, if you wanted an 8 string tuned to Drop E and wanted your sixth string to be a 0.040, then you should probably make your 8th string an 0.080. I love Ernie Ball strings, but there is one thing I dislike about them. They like PaTtErNs. For example, their Hybrid Slinky set is .016-.026-.036-.046 for the top 4 strings. Their Power Slinky set is .018-.028-.038-.048. Their 7-string sets go something like this .009-.011-.016-.024-.032-.042-.052, .010-.013-.017-.026-.036-.046-.056, and .011-.014-.018-.028-.038-.048-.058. Then, of course the top 3 strings of the 8 string set are .054-.064-.074. "What looks nice" or "number patterns" might usually sound good on 6 strings, but once you extend it to 7,8,9, whatever, you can't only go up by 10 gauges per string. That B string in the first 7-string set dropped to A on a 26.5 inch scale has ten pounds of tension compared to its E-counterpart with 16 pounds of tension. The 11-58 set is probably your best bet just because of the lower strings usually feeling like spaghetti. The 8-string set drives me nuts because D'Addario does it too. To get the tension I want on a 28 inch scale, I would have to tune those strings to D4-A#3-F#3-A2-E2-C2-A1-F#1 from high string to low string. That is a completely atonal tuning. You are right though! A 74 in Ab is 18 pounds of tension at 25.5 inches, and the 49 is 20 pounds of tension. Again, thanks for the input! :hbang:

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
@cloudkicker - I already use the Ernie Ball 6-string bass set for the lowest strings on my 25.5" 8-string, with the lowest E1 being the .090 in that set, and adding .010 and.016 at the top. By buying sets online, I think my cost per set (including the additional two strings) is around $5. I'm very happy.

I have to unwind the .090 to fit it through the tuner, and I had to buy two shorter saddles directly from Hipshot to intonate the two lowest strings correctly. I also had to take a file and widen the slot at the nut.

Works a treat.

Cloudkicker112358

Reaction score
@cloudkicker - I already use the Ernie Ball 6-string bass set for the lowest strings on my 25.5" 8-string, with the lowest E1 being the .090 in that set, and adding .010 and.016 at the top. By buying sets online, I think my cost per set (including the additional two strings) is around $5. I'm very happy.

I have to unwind the .090 to fit it through the tuner, and I had to buy two shorter saddles directly from Hipshot to intonate the two lowest strings correctly. I also had to take a file and widen the slot at the nut.

Works a treat.

You use a .016 for your B string and a .020w for your G string? What tuning do you use, that seems a little big, especially since your E string is a .010. Also, how are you able to get it that cheap. What store do you buy from? I would love for extended range instrument string sets to be that cheap! :agreed:

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I wait until cheap sets show up on eBay, and buy bulk singles from either eBay or JustStrings.

Tuning is EADGCFAD.
Maybe the top string is a .011. I put the bulk strings into leftover string envelopes and then insert them into the Ernie Ball set plastic sleeves, so I have all 8 strings together....

Reaction score
What tuning should I use for this set?
D'Addario Strings : XL Nickel Round Wound : EXL115BT Nickel Wound, Balanced Tension Medium, 11-50

This is the first time I am stepping down from the always used 0.010''-0.046'' Standard E

The guitar I am using is an Ibanez RGA32, neck length 25.5'' (and the neck tension is adjusted for 10 gauge, standard E tuning)

This was sort-of helpful but I want to double confirm.
String Gauge Guide - Imgur

Should I go with C# standard tuning? Will there be tuning instabilities? will it be any different from the 'feel' of the usual 10 gauge ?(I just don't want to mess up this guitar's neck)

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
What tuning should I use for this set?
D'Addario Strings : XL Nickel Round Wound : EXL115BT Nickel Wound, Balanced Tension Medium, 11-50

This is the first time I am stepping down from the always used 0.010''-0.046'' Standard E

The guitar I am using is an Ibanez RGA32, neck length 25.5'' (and the neck tension is adjusted for 10 gauge, standard E tuning)

This was sort-of helpful but I want to double confirm.
String Gauge Guide - Imgur

Should I go with C# standard tuning? Will there be tuning instabilities? will it be any different from the 'feel' of the usual 10 gauge ?(I just don't want to mess up this guitar's neck)

D standard with that set will have a similar feel to a 10-46 set in standard on the higher 3 strings, but will be a lot lighter on the bottom ones. Eb standard will have about the same feel on the bottom strings, but will be a good bit tighter on the higher 3 strings.

Reaction score
Thanks!

So suppose I tune it to C# F# B E G# C# do I have to set up the truss rod for that? (currently it is supporting E standard)

will I experience any problems if I revert back to the old EADGBE? Problems related to neck especially (the nearest luthier shop is around 80miles away :( . I live in a hostel )
I am basically trying out a new tuning for composing a song. I plan on using the standard tuning once again. I change strings every 3-4 months

Latest posts

')