Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
You are - but I wouldn't recommend balanced like that. When most people say balanced tension on guitar they actually mean balanced wounds - just fixing the floppy bass problem most sets have. Unless you have done an even balance very deliberately, I recommend a good 4lbs more on the wounds. I generally shoot for 18.5-20.5lbs on the wound strings and then step down to around 17lbs on the last wound string and then go around 13-15 on the plains. That feels nice and balanced. Most people would find a set where the plains feel as tight as the wounds to feel 'unbalanced'. With your set the plains wont be too tight at all but the basses will be too loose for most. The tensions I just suggested would feel like a more fine tuned 'regular tension'. You may want to go around 17 on the wounds if you'd usually use super slinkys though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lurgar

Reaction score
I've been using a balanced .010 set from D'Addario for a while and was just thinking that balanced would be better. I may actually taylor it to be a bit heavier on the wound side.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Ok cool! If you are good with balanced that's fine but I'd certainly suggest basing it around a .010 E and not a .009, then. Balanced with a 009 is just too loose on the wounds. Plug your current set in to see what the tensions read and adjust from there to what you think will feel better. You could even mimic the planned set tension by adjusting your current tuning with current gauges using the calculator :)

lurgar

Reaction score
I was trying to use the old calculators I had, but apparently Java's recent updates broke functionality of them for me. :( Ah well, I probably need to learn how to do it manually anyways.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I use a 12-16-30-42-54-74 set on my 25.5 RG 6 string for Open C, and while it's not balanced in the slightest, it feels fantastic, and sounds great. Right now it's a set of Ernie Balls on there (ew) but hopefully some NYXLs are next. Give that set a shot!

Preacher

Lord of Beer
Reaction score
So, thinking of switching it up a bit on my Agile 828 pro. Its a 28.625" scale, and I want to tune it D A D A D G B e, but the lowest 2 strings I want to use bass strings if possible for the different tone it gives. Is this wise in anyway shape or form? I only use those strings for cleans and I want to try and incorporate nice bass tones into my playing really. If I were to do this (and I know I would need to mess around with tuners, what string gauges for the lot would you recommend? Ideally im looking for a balanced set with the feel of standard tuning on a 25.5" scale superstrat, so I know the guarges would need to be a bit lower to allow for this.

jerm

Reaction score
I just re-strung my DC700 with custom gauge D'Addarios from Welcome to Guitar Strings Online - Your Custom Guitar String Shop...

I went with 10-13-17-24-32-44-59; tuned to B Standard

Tried to get as close to 16lbs of tension on each string. So far I love it. The guitar came with Elixir's and the 56 which only puts 15lbs of tension on the low B is just too floppy but this D'addario 59 is awesome.

For me 16 lbs on the top un-wound strings is perfect and 16-17lbs on the wound strings is perfect.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Preacher, try this set!

Len 28.625

E4 .009" dapl == 16.55#
B3 .012" dapl == 16.52#
G3 .015" dapl == 16.25#
D3 .022" danw == 16.81#
A2 .030" danw == 17.71#
D2 .046" danw == 17.49#
A1 .060" daxb == 17.09#
D1 .090" daxb == 17.19#

Keep in mind, however, that part of what gives bass strings their particular sound is the fact that they're more than 3 times that tension, and on a MUCH longer scale. It might not sound the way you're expecting, probably much more dull, but it's worth a try.

Preacher

Lord of Beer
Reaction score
Preacher, try this set!

Len 28.625

E4 .009" dapl == 16.55#
B3 .012" dapl == 16.52#
G3 .015" dapl == 16.25#
D3 .022" danw == 16.81#
A2 .030" danw == 17.71#
D2 .046" danw == 17.49#
A1 .060" daxb == 17.09#
D1 .090" daxb == 17.19#

Keep in mind, however, that part of what gives bass strings their particular sound is the fact that they're more than 3 times that tension, and on a MUCH longer scale. It might not sound the way you're expecting, probably much more dull, but it's worth a try.

TYVM, will try these and report back on the soundings

7soundz

Reaction score
I have an Ibanez RG7420 that's been giving me some trouble to get setup. Since I got it from sweetwater it was setup properly with only minor adjustments made to the tuning since receiving it.
I noticed that over time the trem started to dip toward the headstock and I tried to adjust the trem but the tension got very tight and the guitar got out of tune. I realized that before adjusting the trem that I had forgotten to remove the locking nut.

After removing the locking nut and trying to retune the guitar the tuning stability went completely haywire. Normally it would take me 5 minutes to tune the guitar, but now it just never gets a balanced tuning.

Any ideas on how I can "reset" the guitar so that it can be tuned properly?

hysealia1

Reaction score
While this might not be an entirely relevant question, I still feel as though it might fit in this thread.

To ask a similar question to 7soundz, I have been having a few issues with my brand new Schecter Hellraiser C-7 with the Floyd. It was also purchased from Sweetwater with the whole 50 something point setup being done for B Standard.

As soon as I received the guitar, after unlocking the nut, I dropped the low B to an A. After doing this though, I seemed to have quite an intense level of fret buzz below the 7th fret.

Now it is worth mentioning that when I did drop the tuning, I didn't play around with the springs in the back or anything like that. Just the simple 'traditional' tuning method of using the grovers on the neck.

It isn't just the A that is having issues, all other strings have the same trouble. But I can say that the A is now pretty loose, so I will be looking for a different gauge in the near future anyway as that is Drop A is my main tuning at this point (26.5" scale, any suggestions?).

Should I be looking at the truss rod first or be altering the action instead? I guess you guys can understand my hesitance of altering the setup without knowing all I need to at this point :confused:

hysealia1

Reaction score
Actually that post isn't relevant at all, what am I talking about.

Just ordered a set of Ernie's 10-64 anyway, so hopefully they help the Drop A playability a bit.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I've been thinking about experimenting a bit with what kind of strings I use for a while now since I always buy my strings online and I can order them as singles. I've been using 10-52 strings forever now but the difference in feel when you go from the D string to the G string is a little too big for me and it makes jazz chords and stuff feel clunkier to play compared to 10-46s. Regular 10-46 strings are too loose for me so what would a good "hybrid set" between the 10-13-17-26-36-46 and the 10-13-17-30-42-52 be?

I'm thinking about just moving one step down and using 10-13-17-28-40-50, but would the difference in feel even be noticable at that point? I might go with a 48 for the E string but I don't want to sacrifice too much tension either. I've tried 11s but i don't really vibe with the thicker high strings.
So I've been waiting a month for my order and I just splattered blood all over my strings after a rowdy gig so I went down to the store and bought a 10-46 pack but kept the 52 gauge string on and I'm really enjoying it. The low E string doesn't feel like a wet noodle when you're playing gallop-y stuff and the thinner A and D strings makes bends and chords less strenuous on the left hand.

Unfortunately the fret bands on the first five frets are really worn down so I can't adjust the truss rod to where I want it to be without having a bunch of notes fret out completely, so having the truss rod properly adjusted would give me just a bit more tension that would make this feel perfect.

Oh, and the most important thing: I don't have to pick so hard before the string actually bulges. Maybe that's just a sign that I play with too thick/stiff picks though...

Kittenflower

Reaction score
This probably has been asked already, but where does one find loose strings at 0.076 and beyond in Europe? All I can find are 8 string sets in which the lowest string is a 0.074. The euro dealers just don't bother with ERG needs...

sartorious

a good lurking guy
Reaction score
Are 13-76's too thick for whole step down(adgcfad)?
Here are tensions at some common scale lengths. I'm not familiar with 13-76 sets, so you may want to use String Guage and Tension Calculator - Version 0.1.4 - 26 apr 1998 to sort out the rest of the strings.

len 25.5"
D .013" PL == 21.75#
A,,, .076" NW == 21.25#

len 26.5"
D .013" PL == 23.49#
A,,, .076" NW == 22.95#

len 27"
D .013" PL == 24.39#
A,,, .076" NW == 23.82#

And yeah, that's way tighter than I'd go, but a look through this thread might find others who like strings that way.

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
What would I need for strings to get similar tension to a KM-7 with stock strings on my RG7421? I know the scale length is different which is tripping me up along with I've always just stuck whatever I had for strings on before. After getting my KM-7 I've found I really like how the guitar plays so I am trying to get a similar feel on my RG7421

Apollo240

Reaction score
Here are tensions at some common scale lengths. I'm not familiar with 13-76 sets, so you may want to use String Guage and Tension Calculator - Version 0.1.4 - 26 apr 1998 to sort out the rest of the strings.

len 25.5"
D .013" PL == 21.75#
A,,, .076" NW == 21.25#

len 26.5"
D .013" PL == 23.49#
A,,, .076" NW == 22.95#

len 27"
D .013" PL == 24.39#
A,,, .076" NW == 23.82#

And yeah, that's way tighter than I'd go, but a look through this thread might find others who like strings that way.

Thanks! I think ill pop them all off and move them over 1. Ill add a new .10 for the high e. Set the .74 aside

Latest posts

')