Marty Siggery

siggeryguitars
Reaction score
Ordered a Agile Septor 828. What D'Addarios should I put on it? I'm thinking 10-59 + ?

Does Elixir have any 8 string options or at least singles?

These are D'Addario Singles that may be of use to you

NW060 Single XL Nickel Wound 060
NW062 Single XL Nickel Wound 062
NW064 Single XL Nickel Wound 064
NW066 Single XL Nickel Wound 066
NW068 Single XL Nickel Wound 068
NW070 Single XL Nickel Wound 070
NW072 Single XL Nickel Wound 072
NW074 Single XL Nickel Wound 074
NW080 Single XL Nickel Wound 080

I cant find a listing for individual strings from Elixir

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Ordered a Agile Septor 828. What D'Addarios should I put on it? I'm thinking 10-59 + ?

Does Elixir have any 8 string options or at least singles?

10-59 being a 7 string set I presume? A D'addario 'NW074' or 'NW080' will go well with a B .059 at 28".

Reaction score
It's a shame Elixir doesn't have anything past .068. I really dislike using any strings other than theirs but I guess D'Addarios will have to do. I'd just order Elixir's bass strings but apparently the end piece won't seat into the back of the guitar.

Reaction score
Just got my RGA8 from UPS today, loving it so far, but I've already ordered some EMG 808X pickups and I am going to need higher gauge strings.

I've got the stock D'Addario strings on it now, and I want to play in the following tuning (lowest to highest):

E-B-E-A-D-G-B-E

What would be the best gauge to use for this tuning to eliminate floppy, buzzy strings?

The guitar came stock down tuned a half step from standard, but I brought everything up a half step, except the low F which I dropped a half step to a E. As of now, it seems I can shift about a quarter step up depending on how hard I press the string. I might have to adjust the action, but I'll have to research how to do that.

Marty Siggery

siggeryguitars
Reaction score
Try emailing the string manufactures directly and ask them to make you custom strings
I have a 0.100 string specially made for my 8 and 9 string guitars with regular guitar ball ends and specially tapered after the nut so it goes through a guitar machinehead/tuner without the need of any modification (drilling out the hole in the post)

Nikki 8

Reaction score
Try emailing the string manufactures directly and ask them to make you custom strings
I have a 0.100 string specially made for my 8 and 9 string guitars with regular guitar ball ends and specially tapered after the nut so it goes through a guitar machinehead/tuner without the need of any modification (drilling out the hole in the post)

I may have to buy some of them of you if you supply them?

McHeathen

masterblaster
Reaction score
maybe just get yourself a 7 string set with your favorite gauge, and then just try to buy single 60-64 gauge strings, if possible.

at one point i was using 13-56 on my 6 in standard 440, so a B in 64 isn't too farfetched.

Marty Siggery

siggeryguitars
Reaction score
Shame all string manufactures don't offer more singles in more gauges!

Last edited:

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
Haha am i weird that i use 54-11's for Drop A? lol standard scale length. Works just fine for me. I'm just waiting till we start to tune down so far that we can't even make out changes in notes. Oh yeah wait, mortician does that. lol

black_anther

Reaction score
Has anybody had any problems with getting strings long enough for Agile 7 strings with reverse headstocks?

My problem is I have a (wonderful) Agile Septor Pro 727 with a reverse headstock like this bad body here:

http://www.ewanmurdoch.com/DSC00108.jpg

When the time came to restring it I found that I couldn't even get a full turn round the tuning peg for the low B with the strings I bought. I can't remember the brand I bought now, though it may well have been a d'addario single string as I was adding a .60 to it.

What strings does everyone else use for theirs?

Squege

Reaction score
Hi!

I just scored my first seven and it has a 26,5" scale and i'd like to tune my guitar to Drop B with high F#, so how thick strings i should use?
I am using at A# tuning gauges 10-46 and 59 for the bottom end and it feels pretty good, so i'd like to have the drop B tuning at as same tension as possible.

Huge thanks!

77zark77

Reaction score
Hi, I've modified a tension calculator that I have dowloaded a few months ago (don't remember where and from whom, sorry for him), to make some 9string experiences downtuned to C0 with strings up to .100

if someone has some more infos on higher gauge, tell me, I 'll try to insert them

hope it didn't exists yet (to open with excel or openoffice calc) :

http://dl.free.fr/ckC45fJdD

johnythehero

The kid
Reaction score
I might be recieving a 4 string bass in a trade but I was playing on tuning to either b standered or drop B so what should I get to compensate?

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Shame all string manufactures don't offer more singles in more gauges!
That's because 98% of them are all machine made and they can't produce them that big and/or only have them setup for making the usual standard gauges. This is why it's nice having handmade strings like LaBella but the issue then shown is it's the dealers who don't stock these large strings and not the manufactures fault.

Has anybody had any problems with getting strings long enough for Agile 7 strings with reverse headstocks?

My problem is I have a (wonderful) Agile Septor Pro 727 with a reverse headstock like this bad body here:
LaBella work :yesway:

SykoVendetta

Reaction score
Hey guys, Just bought an Ibanez RGA7 . . . new to 7's .

I am in 2 metal bands. One we tune to : B F# B E G# C# (?)

For this I have put on Zakk Wylde 11-70 set . I get a slight vibration on the low B but no other string. looking from the bottom up, it appears the neck twists downwards towards the high strings. Not sure if this is the curve of the fretboard or not.

My other band, wants to use 7 string standard. B E A D G B E

Can I simply tune up or is the string gauge too large to tune to standard?

Advice appreciated

SykoVendetta

Reaction score
2 Tunings
Hey guys, Just bought an Ibanez RGA7 . . . new to 7's .

I am in 2 metal bands. One we tune to : B F# B E G# C# (?)

For this I have put on Zakk Wylde 11-70 set . I get a slight vibration on the low B but no other string. looking from the bottom up, it appears the neck twists downwards towards the high strings. Not sure if this is the curve of the fretboard or not.

My other band, wants to use 7 string standard. B E A D G B E

Can I simply tune up or is the string gauge too large to tune to standard?

Advice appreciated

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Advice appreciated

The boards on Ibby's are pretty flat so you might have too much tension on one side and actually be twisting the neck... 7's normally come with sets like 9-53 so 11-70 is quite a heck of a jump and if you didn't adjust the neck for all that added tension that would definitely explain what's going on. I've seen it happen with guys using the exact same set and Drop-D style tunings where all the majority of the tension was on one side.:2c:

Goatfork

Reaction score
I'll be getting an Agile 830 soon. What gauge string should I get for my F# so that it has the same tension as a 0.062 tuned to B on a 25.5" guitar?

fancyllama

Reaction score
Im planning on tuning my Schecter Damien Elite 7 FR to drop C (So from low to high: CGCFBbDG ) but am concerned as to how the tremolo and springs will handle the increase in tension. I'd like some input and advice from anyone willing to give it on recommended string gauges and what to adjust on the floyd rose if anything needs to be.

(Also, im aware that drop C is an odd tuning for a seven string guitar, but it sounds more crisp and defined while still grabbing that fattened low end well without flopping like the low A tends to. Even with a .60 for the A it just doesnt hold. And yes, the tremolo is set up properly and its not an intonation issue with the guitar either lol)

Thanks!

Latest posts

')