no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I just got my first 8-string (Schecter Hellraiser C-8 Special - 26.5"), and I find the stock strings a tad too floppy in the standard tuning. I tune almost all my other guitars down to some degree, but I think I'm going to leave this one in F# standard.

Would a set of regular Ernie Ball 10-46, plus adding .066 and .080 for the bottom two strings be reasonable? For reference, I have my 27.7" six string tuned to drop A, with 14-68 D'addarios and I'm quite happy with that tension.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Misfit74

Reaction score
Looking for strings for my 7, which is an ESP LTD MH-417, that can handle G std tuning easily. What should I use for the low G string and for the entire set of strings and where should I buy?

I've searched and searched but nobody seems to have an easy answer. Certainly, .70-.80+ is in the discussion - but what specifically? Nobody I can find makes the ideal set for a 7 for tuning that low. Do I get an 8-string set and discard a string? Custom make a set? The more details the better. Brand doesn't matter as much as not having to screw around adding a bass-string or what have you. I'd like a cohesive set, if possible, that accomplishes the goal of at least G std without a bunch of setup. Thanks in advance.

xeL

Reaction score
I'm going to be altering the string guages I use soon as I find the 10-52 set on my PRS to have very uneven tensions when moving between the higher and lower register, the low .052" Is changed to a higher .056" as I find It a tad floppy currently. This set should convert nicely onto my 27" custom when ready which will be setup for drop A# but move between drop A and B as well.

Does anyone see a problem here that I've missed?

len 25"

D .010" PL == 12.37#
A, .013" PL == 11.73#
F, .017" PL == 12.64#
C, .030" NW == 19.1#
G,, .042" NW == 20.07#
C,, .052" NW == 13.33#
total == 89.25#

len 25"

D .010" PL == 12.37#
A, .013" PL == 11.73#
F, .017" PL == 12.64#
C, .026" NW == 14.04#
G,, .036" NW == 14.9#
C,, .056" NW == 15.96#
total == 81.65#

len 27"

^C .010" PL == 12.85#
^G, .013" PL == 12.19#
E, .017" PL == 13.14#
^A,, .026" NW == 13.0#
F,, .036" NW == 13.8#
^A,,, .056" NW == 14.77#
total == 79.75#

James B

Reaction score
I want to tune to drop A flat and drop G, I have a 27" agile septor. What gauge strings do you recommend?

kuzevski

Reaction score
Hey everyone this thread is great I couldn't look through all 30 pages so I'm sure my question has probably already been solved so sorry for any annoyances! I currently play a 6 string ESP EC 1000 vintage black not the LTD deluxe version just the straight up ESP one. I play in drop A# with 13 gauge D'addario strings and I just ordered my first 7 string it should be here in two days and I am insanely excited! I ordered this one Agile Septor Elite 727 EMG EB Blue Flame at RondoMusic.com
I just want to know some advice for string gauges for a comparable tuning to what I am currently in I want it to feel really tight, clear, and heavy. Furthermore where can I pick up such string because everywhere I look they seem to be pretty basic and not heavy enough!
Thanks everyone!

Misfit74

Reaction score
Hey everyone this thread is great I couldn't look through all 30 pages so I'm sure my question has probably already been solved so sorry for any annoyances! I currently play a 6 string ESP EC 1000 vintage black not the LTD deluxe version just the straight up ESP one. I play in drop A# with 13 gauge D'addario strings and I just ordered my first 7 string it should be here in two days and I am insanely excited! I ordered this one Agile Septor Elite 727 EMG EB Blue Flame at RondoMusic.com
I just want to know some advice for string gauges for a comparable tuning to what I am currently in I want it to feel really tight, clear, and heavy. Furthermore where can I pick up such string because everywhere I look they seem to be pretty basic and not heavy enough!
Thanks everyone!

I really like that guitar!

If your only tuning 1/2 step down from B standard - the stock tuning for that type of guitar you'll be fine with the same gauge strings it comes with. I can easily tune to A Std. with my stock strings and no setup work on my new(er) ESP LTD MH-417. I can hit G Std. too, but don't quite have the tension I want, so I'm going to move to heavier gauge. You shouldn't need to change a thing only going to A#.

FWIW, this is the solution I'm going to use in order to hit G std and even F# on my guitar, which even has a 25.5" scale vs. your 27". Yours should handle heavier gauge even easier. :) http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/beginners-faq/187535-where-strings-g-std-tuning-7-a.html

kuzevski

Reaction score
Thanks man! So let me get this straight the standard on the 7 is B E A D G B E and for me to do the "same" drop tuning as I would on my 6 which is A# - F - A# - D# - G# - C I would need to tune down to D A# F A# D# G# C for a 4th wouldn't I or a C#? I really new to this so bare with me. I am really looking for a Volumes kinda feel or structures a really killer heavy tone with a ton of melodic potential and I know strings are a huge player in that as well as the tuning. I just know on my 6 the tuning kills it so I need 13's to support it and I realize the 27" supplies more tension but I still feel like I will need a heavier gauge then 10 to get the sound I want.

Thanks again!

p.s if you want to check my band out you are more then welcome to and you can also get a feel for my sound and hopefully how I want to take it into the 7 string realm.

Handed To The Thousands - BandPage | Facebook

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
Sup guys. I have an RG7420 and I want to tune to AEADGBE. Drop A I guess.. What string gauge should I get for that tuning? I really love super tight strings.

Thanks!

Reaction score
So guys, Im in need of a bit of advice. I want to tune my Blackjack ATX C7 down two steps, so thats G C F Bb Eb Ab C. The guitar's scale is a 26.5". What gauge strings would you recommend?

Arbiterguitarist

Reaction score
So i just bought my beautiful new Agile Septor Pro 727 and i can't find strings that match the length of the guitar.. HELP! It's a 27.5 scale and I've tried GHS and Ernie ball both were single string sets and on my low string they barely reached to the top.. I keep getting told to buy a 7 string set because the strings are longer but i can't find a size set that i like. I want something with a size 60 or bigger lower string. Please help thanks!

breadtruck

Reaction score
Hey all. So I was considering changing things up for the next set of strings that go on my 7 string, and thought about tuning to C# Standard with a low F#. My guitar is a Schecter ATX Blackjack with a 26.5" scale. I currently am in Bb standard with a set of Hybrid slinky's with a .60 for the low string. Occasionally I drop the 7th string to an Ab, and I can JUST ABOUT intonate it properly if the saddle is all the way back.

I was just wondering what anyone's opinion here would be on what gauge to get for that low F# string. I've used a string tension calc to decide on using a set of 11's for my first 6 strings, but it's just the 7th I'm clueless about. I'm not crazy about tension, so I don't need it to be that tight, but I want it be big enough for it to intonate properly. I don't know what the limit is for the Schecter pegs, so I don't wanna risk it by getting some giant string only for it not to fit! Thanks for any help.

mishabasi

Reaction score
schecter 8's with the same scale length have a 74 for the F# and it feels pretty good. you could go anywhere between there and an 80

Reaction score
Depends on how tight or loose you like it. I can get away with a 66 on a 25.5 scale, but it is a bit loose for my taste. With your scale, I'd say a 70-74 if you don't want to mess with the tuning machines.

Ulvhedin

Phrygianist
Reaction score
I use 72-74 for such. Generally i just buy a EB baritone set + 10 : p

breadtruck

Reaction score
70 sounds pretty good. I'm assuming if the Schecter 8's have a 74 for the 8th string, then i'll have no problems getting a 70 into the peg. I might be tuning the 7th string up and down between F# and G# a bit (for the drop and standard tunings respectively) so if it still feels a bit flubby for F# when I get it, then I can always stick in in G#.

Does a .70 still have good definition? When I first got my .60 I wasn't too fond of the sound, but really grew into it and am happy with how it plays in Bb/A now.

Reaction score
the .70 will be loose but not unplayable and you will still be able to bring it back up to G# if you needed to.

btw im going to be ordering a custom labella set of .76 .60 .48 .36 .28 .20 .14 for F standard, opinions on the gauges anything i should change?

Marco

Reaction score
Hi guys .
I play on a custom luthier 6 guitar, 26.5 scale, drop c (CGCFAD )with 10-52 strings.
I love how i had set the action (very low ) and the tension (i dont like too much tension )
With these settings i have a very clean and twangy sound you can ear it unplugged with metallic and percussive sound (because of the small strings )

Now i just got my brand new loomis nt and i would like to have more or less the same playability.
I started to tune it into drop G with 10 52 + 68 but it was too much spaghetti like on the low G, also i must set very high the action but playability suffered a lot and the guitar buzzed a lot.
So i gave up and deicided to tune drop G#.then I could set the action lower but not as low as i would like.also the tension was acceptable but not extraordinary.

Can you help me to set this guitar please ?

samdaman87

Metal Cholo
Reaction score
Brand New Ibanez RG7321
Have some DR DDT
with .13 to .65 six string set but I also bought .32 for the 4th string.
I want to do Drop A tuning without the buzz that my .52 7th string is doing.
I have heard that with drop tunings that the intonations will be off if not set up right and that sometimes you have to file down the nutting so that the thicker string gauge can fit. If it doesn't fit correctly and is slightly off you can mess up your guitar's nutting. So help me out guys, I really don't want to pay 56 U.S.D for to get this right:nono:.

Appreciate the help :cool:

FRr3AkOnALEaSh

Reaction score
If i wanted to setup my RG7321 to an 8 string tuning down a Whole step (F# tuned down to an E, so on the 7321 the low B would be the same octave) What gauge should i consider getting? From experience of tuning my 7 string down a whole step to an A, a .060 is more than stable enough for me on a 25.5" scale. I like the strings to be tight enough of course, but loose enough to sound deep. I was considering maybe a .070/.075. Would that be thin enough to fit through the peg, or would i need to adjust? I know going this route of tuning is a bit pointless, but I'm desperate for an 8 string guitar, which will have to wait some time before i can afford one. Thanks to anyone that can help me out (And please don't suggest a baritone or bass)

Latest posts

')