Dayn

Reaction score
For my low E at 27", I use a La Bella .086 tapered and wound for 27". I think it has around 16.5lbs~ of tension, and I think it's perfect. For 25.5", I'd honestly go for a .090 at least, that should give almost the same tension as I use. I don't like thick strings either, but the little bit of extra tension just made the string worth it tone-wise over the .080.

The good thing about that, is that many string brands actually make stock .090 gauges, like GHS or Ernie Ball. You can always unwind the winding to fit it through the tuning peg.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gregadethhh

Guitar Padawan
Reaction score
The F string on my RGA8s a .065 and while it's on a 27" scale neck, it's a tad slack but any thicker and I think the machinehead would have to be drilled or the string would have to be unwound even if I went up to a .068, so I'd try a .065 first see how that goes hope that helps

FRr3AkOnALEaSh

Reaction score
So as someone who is pretty much new to a few things behind setting up guitar string sustain, would a guitar of a shorter scale length require a thicker or thinner gauge? I was under the impression that the longer the scale length (Heading towards bass territory) the thicker the strings needed to be? But i guess it's the other way around.

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
As said, if you're going down to E, don't consider anything under 0.090 tbh. My 26.5" Schecter has a 0.080 on it for F atm and it's comparable/slightly higher in tension to the 0.060 I've got on my 25.5" Bc.Rich tuned to drop A.

Dayn

Reaction score
So as someone who is pretty much new to a few things behind setting up guitar string sustain, would a guitar of a shorter scale length require a thicker or thinner gauge? I was under the impression that the longer the scale length (Heading towards bass territory) the thicker the strings needed to be? But i guess it's the other way around.
As you said to begin with, don't recommend basses: that's because they're a different instrument. They use heavy strings on a long scale so they can get 30lbs+ of tension. For a guitar, I suppose a light or medium light gauge of strings on guitar might net you around 16lbs~ of tension. When you go longer in scale, but keep the same gauge and tuning, you'll be increasing the tension as your scale lengthens.

That's why when you use a shorter-scale guitar, you'll need thicker strings than if you had used a longer-scaled guitar. That's why longer scales exist, so you can use thinner strings and still have equivalent tension of thicker strings on a shorter scale.

Osorio

Reaction score
I posted this question on my NGD thread but it went unanswered, maybe I can get an answer here:
I ordered a Schecter Hellraiser C8 from DCGL, 26.5" scale length, and asked for a .024 for the D string, it came with a .030. I wanted to know if downright substituting the 30 for a 24 will cause the neck any harm... I'm aware the difference in tension is quite large and I'm worried about the neck bending over (over time, of course).

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Not really a tension question, but what is the rationale against using a bass string (80) for a low E on an 8 string guitar?

Edit: WTF? why is there a sad face in my post when I didn't put it there?

Last edited:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
The strings have different construction and will sound (and feel I believe?) different. Thicker core or something I think.
Usually more bassy which generally isn't what we are looking for.

Elixir Nanowebs are an exception. There may be more in the 'independent' brands like Circle K or O4P but you would have to ask them.

Marco

Reaction score
Hi guys .
I play on a custom luthier 6 guitar, 26.5 scale, drop c (CGCFAD )with 10-52 strings.
I love how i had set the action (very low ) and the tension (i dont like too much tension )
With these settings i have a very clean and twangy sound you can ear it unplugged with metallic and percussive sound (because of the small strings )

Now i just got my brand new loomis nt and i would like to have more or less the same playability.
I started to tune it into drop G with 10 52 + 68 but it was too much spaghetti like on the low G, also i must set very high the action but playability suffered a lot and the guitar buzzed a lot.
So i gave up and deicided to tune drop G#.then I could set the action lower but not as low as i would like.also the tension was acceptable but not extraordinary.

Can you help me to set this guitar please ?

Anyone can help me please?
I'm planing to buy a .70 for the 7th string. So i get 10-52 + .070 in drop G #
Maybe you can give other options?

Jet9

Petrucci Wannabe
Reaction score
So I'm working on my new project guitar, which is also going to be my first baritone. What gauge strings should I go for if I'm tuning to C standard on a 28 5/8" scale length? Also, does anyone make coated strings at a proper gauge for a baritone?

eguitaruk

7 string noob
Reaction score
I'm ordering some new strings this week and i was wondering would a .70 be ok with a set of 12s-56s. I'm going to be setting it up i A standard and my guitar has a 25.5' scale length.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Here's a quick little trick to feel string tension on longer scale guitars if you can't access them, and only have a 25.5" scale guitar. If you want to know what 27" feels like, tune all your strings up a half step, and if you want to know what 28.625" feels like, tune up a full step. And yes, I check all this in the tension calculator, the tensions are extremely similar, if not identical.

Therefore, my fears of 10-59 + 80 on a 28.625 8 string feeling far too tight can be easily assuaged by simply tuning my 7 string to C#. And I've found it's not too terrible.

This little method is going to be far easier than asking around, as opinions on ideal string tension vary massively. I know I'm going to want an 80 on a 28.625 scale, where as 74 or 76 is sufficient for most. So, wanna get the feel before making the jump up in scale? Tune up!

HOSTvallo

Reaction score
Ok so I broke my D string the other day and ordered new strings, after researching a bit I decided to order a .066 and a D'Addario XL 6 string set (.010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046) as I want to start playing in A.

My question is this; would it be too muddy if I were to just use the .066, move the current .054 down in place of the .046? Then carry on with the rest? Essentially making it .013, .017, .026, .036, .046, .054, .066. Excluding the .010 completely. I'm curious how that would sound and what you guys think of it and if any of have ever tried it.

Alternatively it would be .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046, .066 and it is currently .009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042, .054 (missing the .024).

Thanks!

:hbang:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
ATTENTION CALCULATOR USERS

I made a dedicated thread for this but will post it here too. Relating to gauges above .080
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...ion-calculator-error-content.html#post2939197

I'm aware plenty of us here use http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/ to find gauges for ourselves and suggest them for others.
This calculator is based off of D'addario strings who publish their tensions online: http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

I've realised the other day when working out a set for my bass and seeing some unexpected things, that the calculator becomes unreliable above gauge 80. For those of us using guitar strings up to the 80 by D'addario for example, it is perfectly accurate.

However, stepping into the bass string territory (either for guitar or bass) things go wrong above 80. I have not noticed this before and am unsure why this is the case. For example the thickest string offered (145) is anywhere up to a whole 9lbs innacurate!

If this will concern you, I highly recommend cross-referencing with the PDF published by D'addario in the future. Bare in mind the scale lengths listed in the PDF (page 4) and referenced in each section for the strings - and of course plug that into the calculator.

Depending what you're using the calculator for things can take multiple calculations and some juggling with this method but rather that than be recommended a 175 instead of a 145, for example!

summit101

Reaction score
G,C,G,D#,A#,F,C,F (high to low) on 26.5" scale.

could someone recommend a balanced string gauge set? im not familiar with the tension charts. Surely i would make a million mistakes trying to figure them out.

Glint Symmetry

Reaction score
Hi,

im a owner of a schecter demon 7 and i got a problem,the right gauge for drop G# (from low to high G#,D#,G#,C#,F#,A#,D#).

Right now i got skullstrings 0.10 - 0.62 and is tune in Standard G that is low for me,my scale is 26,5 and this skullstrings are with the right tension in Standard G for me

they feel good to play,smooth and confortable ...but in drop G# i dont like them,to tight,and also i am afraid of damage my guitar with such tension...(my luthier says that is not good for the guitar even he know people that like them very tight,could damage)

the 7 string(low) in drop G# stays a little bit more loose then the others,and dont like this to :p

...im not a fan of tight strings , and not even to loose i like the "standard way" ,if i can call that...not to tight and not to loose...

wich is the best gauge for me? anyone can give me a help here?

I was thinking in 10 - 60? or 9 - 58?

the 10 , 13 , 17 ,28 , 38 , 48 , 60 not work for me,since i have see that 48 , 38 and 28 are to tight in 26,5 scale in Drop G#...

i wish someone got a schecter like me and give me a help for life :p

:bowdown:

Latest posts

')