Kharon

Reaction score
Hi
I want to play in Drop G on a 27' scale, 7-string!

I have now been using 0.11, 0.14, 0.18, 0.28, 0.38, 0.49, 0.60

but that's way to lose for me, what should i use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

F0rte

Wood Whore
Reaction score
Hey all, looking to test out a couple new gauge strings for my low B to get the right feel in comparison to the rest of the strings on my 8.
Calculator won't run for me, not sure why though. It's 25.5.
Trying to get a nice and tight tension when tuned:
Ab-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb-Ab
The rest of my strings are good, E-E they are 10-42 Ernie Balls.
Recommend me an Ernie Ball preferably- i'm on a .56 right now.
Cheers:)

firegarden

Reaction score
Hi all, do I need to make any major changes to the truss rod if I am going to use: 11 - 49 with a .064 for the low Ab. I will be tuning Ab-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb. Thanks guys!

mongey

Reaction score
heya all

just got my frist 7 . 25.5 scale . got built with a .70 for drop A . I'm liking the tension but think it could use a touch more definition .happy to give up a touch of tension for a touch of definition

something around .66 ?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Hi all, do I need to make any major changes to the truss rod if I am going to use: 11 - 49 with a .064 for the low Ab. I will be tuning Ab-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb. Thanks guys!

Depends what strings you have on there already man - but any tension is not a problem to the guitar. See how it is when it's strung up and then if you need to adjust the truss so be it, nothing to worry about :)

heya all

just got my frist 7 . 25.5 scale . got built with a .70 for drop A . I'm liking the tension but think it could use a touch more definition .happy to give up a touch of tension for a touch of definition

something around .66 ?

Yup :) Go as light as you can bare - I've found 25.5 gets unforgiving fast around the 65 point so 66 should be much better than 70.

firegarden

Reaction score
Thanks a lot mate. Will give that a try... :)

Depends what strings you have on there already man - but any tension is not a problem to the guitar. See how it is when it's strung up and then if you need to adjust the truss so be it, nothing to worry about :)

Yup :) Go as light as you can bare - I've found 25.5 gets unforgiving fast around the 65 point so 66 should be much better than 70.

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
OK, apparently I'm too challenged to use those damn Calculators :wallbash: soooo here is my question.

I use Elixir .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046 .056 on my 25.5" Ibanez 7620 in B standard tuning. I love the tension and feel.

I'm currently modding a MIM Fender Telecaster 25.5". I plan to tune it to C standard and would like the String tension to be close to what I use on my 7 strings.

Ideas or suggestions of string gauges to use ?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. :wub:

Also do they make a "String gauge Calculator for Dummies"? :idea:

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
If I'm playing a 28.6" scale and dropping down to F# and then tuning in 5ths what would the recommended gauges be? I only need the 4 low strings.

Also: What are the names of the open notes from the F# up in fifths?

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Figured out the note names after way too much thought than should have been necessary. Still can't figure out the string gauges.

Andymosity

Smash Bros. Warrior
Reaction score
I just upgraded to 0.11-0.65 and my floyd rose bridge springs can't take the tension (the bridge leans towards the fretboard too much). An easily solution is to add more springs, but I don't have room to add more. Should I try to get stronger springs? or should I replace the current system with another that can fit more springs?

Reaction score
hi, I just bought a 27" (my first seven string BTW) which want to tune F#B E A D F#B (low to high) so I ordered a custom set from La Bella (13 17 22 42 56 66 74), since I couldn't find a heavy enough set to handle that tuning. It came with 10-54 d'addario strings, which IMHO couldn't even handle a whole step lower tuning but were just fine in standard. Regarding my six-stringers, I normally use 10's on 25.5" for standard tuning and DR Strings DDT 13-65 for drop A.

vstealth

Reaction score
I just upgraded to 0.11-0.65 and my floyd rose bridge springs can't take the tension (the bridge leans towards the fretboard too much). An easily solution is to add more springs, but I don't have room to add more. Should I try to get stronger springs? or should I replace the current system with another that can fit more springs?
If you cant achieve balance with 5 spring screwed in all the way then it would be safe to say, you are tuned way to high for that gauge of strings. With that much tension on the bridge, the knife edges of your floyd are going to dull extremely quickly. Either lower the string gauge to better suit the required tuning or consider blocking the bridge. Remember, larger gauges are not necessarily upgrades/improvements.

Reaction score

check out Floyd upgrades and their springs selection

Andymosity

Smash Bros. Warrior
Reaction score
Okay guys thanks for the tips. My floyd rose only has 3 standard strings at the moment. I'm pretty sure adding another 2 strings would make it fine with a thicker string gauge, but the system below the body doesn't seem to have slots for two more springs.

I ended up checking out floyd upgrades and ordered three high strength noiseless springs. Hopefully they'll do the trick!

Reaction score
I've got a Schecter C-8 Blackjack and I want to have a very consistent tension and feel for EBEADGBE and sometimes F#. I'm thinking of doing D'addario's 8 string set but with an .80 instead of the .74. I don't want to drill my nut though. Good possible idea?

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Gonna buy a 6 string set from Circle K, the gauges are .011 .015 .019 .027 .037 .051 but I need a string for the 7th string on my DC727, could someone suggest a gauge that would work well for the set I'm buying?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Gonna buy a 6 string set from Circle K, the gauges are .011 .015 .019 .027 .037 .051 but I need a string for the 7th string on my DC727, could someone suggest a gauge that would work well for the set I'm buying?

73 would be good next to a 51 if drop tuning. If standard then probably like 67

EDIT: I've answered these questions so much that I'm starting to get a feel for guessing haha. For the sake of showing you how to do it, I'll go through the PDF now: http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKtensionChart.pdf
Find the 51 and go to E..41.7lbs tension.
Go up around 70s and find B, look for a good tension. 0.67 gives 39.7lbs.
Drop tuning? Find A....0.76 gives 40.2lbs. My guessing is pretty good :D

Of course these tensions are way high as they are for 34" but it doesn't matter.

You can construct entire sets like this if you wish, rather than buying the premade sets from Circle K. Though, unlike other companies, their sets are pretty logical :) You may want to check it through the tension PDF yourself.

ViolaceousVerdance

Reaction score
You can construct entire sets like this if you wish, rather than buying the premade sets from Circle K. Though, unlike other companies, their sets are pretty logical :) You may want to check it through the tension PDF yourself.

Where do you find their pre-made sets? I visited the site and didn't find them.

')