blacai

Reaction score
I don't play 8 strings, but I run 9-46+64 on a 7 string (exactly the gauges you have liste) and I love the feel of them. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the answer.
I really like the feeling while playing with the current gauges. No buzzing or whatever and easy to play everywhere across the fretboard

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Need some help finding gauges for a 7 string.

27 inch scale

GBE: Highest tuning = half step down

EAD: Highest tuning = half step up

B: Highest tuning A, but will stay most of the time at Ab

I was thinking a 10-46 or 11-49 set + a 70, 71, or 72, but I would like some insight. Skinny top heavy bottoms are what I usually drift towards, but progressive tension would be nice to try.

lhoffl

Reaction score
I'm still confused about what tension and gauges to use. I play a 8 string 27 inch scale and currently use EAEBEG#BE as my tuning. What would be a set that would be comfortable for this tuning? I could definitely use some insight! Thanks!

Reaction score
I've been looking for a new string set for my 7 string but I'm not too sure which would be suitable for the tuning I intend on using. I've been looking at Circle K with the following set:

.076 .057 .041 .029 .021 .016p .011p

The tuning I'd mainly like to play in is Ab-Eb-Ab-Db-Eb-Ab-Db where I'd sometimes down tune the lowest to F#. I'd also play drop Ab. I know it's quite varied but any advice would be great. :)

Joshua

6 Strings Only
Reaction score
I've been looking for a new string set for my 7 string but I'm not too sure which would be suitable for the tuning I intend on using. I've been looking at Circle K with the following set:

.076 .057 .041 .029 .021 .016p .011p

The tuning I'd mainly like to play in is Ab-Eb-Ab-Db-Eb-Ab-Db where I'd sometimes down tune the lowest to F#. I'd also play drop Ab. I know it's quite varied but any advice would be great. :)

That's definitely going to be a ridiculously tight set. May want to use some thinner strings, unless you like bridge cables :lol:

vividox

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is probably a really obvious question that has been answered 100 times in this thread already - if so I apologize - but how does the overall string tension of 6-string compare to a 7-string?

Say, you have a 25.5" scale on both guitars, and they are both using EB Regular Slinkies (10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46, (56)).

Is the overall tension going to feel exactly the same on both guitars? Or does the extra string tighten/loosen up the overall feel?

EDIT: I suppose I should clarify, this is a floating trem, not a fixed bridge.

Joshua

6 Strings Only
Reaction score
Oh damn. What gauge would you recommend? The scale length of my guitar is 26.5".
For that scale, I'd recommend a standard 9-46 set with a 66-68 for the low string since you might be tuning down to F#. Maybe a 10-49 set if you want something a little tighter.

stevexc

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is probably a really obvious question that has been answered 100 times in this thread already - if so I apologize - but how does the overall string tension of 6-string compare to a 7-string?

Say, you have a 25.5" scale on both guitars, and they are both using EB Regular Slinkies (10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46, (56)).

Is the overall tension going to feel exactly the same on both guitars? Or does the extra string tighten/loosen up the overall feel?

EDIT: I suppose I should clarify, this is a floating trem, not a fixed bridge.

You don't feel "overall tension" - you only feel the tension on each individual string. Assuming the same headstock style and bridge type, each string will feel the same as its counterpart.

vividox

Reaction score
You don't feel "overall tension" - you only feel the tension on each individual string. Assuming the same headstock style and bridge type, each string will feel the same as its counterpart.
Okay. So if they DON'T feel the same, it's most likely a set-up problem?

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'm still confused about what tension and gauges to use. I play a 8 string 27 inch scale and currently use EAEBEG#BE as my tuning. What would be a set that would be comfortable for this tuning? I could definitely use some insight! Thanks!

I'd try out a set like 9, 12, 15, 18p or 22w, 32, 44 or 46, 64, 80

bennerman

Reaction score
What's a good tension per string for a 25.5" seven-string, that should keep everything moderately tight? (It's my first 7-string, so I'm just gunna go with the middle-ground, and decide if I want it looser or tighter when I replace them) I would prefer a balanced set if possible (i.e. all at or near 16lbs, 17lbs, or whatever you guys recommend), hence why I want a tension that SHOULD keep every string usably tight).

I want to buy 2 sets, one for Standard, and one for G#-Standard (all strings tuned down 3 semi-tones). Will your tension work for both? If both sets have the same (or very similar) tension, will I be able to avoid a truss-rod adjustment when I switch them out?

I will be using the d'addario calculator, so just give me a number of lbs per string and I will figure out the rest.

Thanks

Edit: I've just been informed that I don't particularly need a balanced set, but I still do want the same tension in G#-Standard and Standard tuning, so adjust accordingly.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I've found this calculator is easier to use than the D'addario one: Hikky Z's String Assembler

For standard, I'd try 9.5, 13, 16, 26, 36, 46 or 48, 62

For G# standard, I'd try 11.5, 15, 24w, 32, 42, 56, 70 or 72

Both sets should offer about the same amount of tension overall, so the only adjustment you'd have to make when switching sets would be for intonation. The idea of balanced string tension is a good one, but it really only applies to wound strings or plain strings, but not both in the same set because plain strings have a higher perceived tension. I usually like to have around 15lbs of tension on my plain strings (give or take half a pound) then about 18-19lbs on my wound strings because they feel about the same across the board. However, I also like having my 6th and 7th strings have between 17 and 18lbs of tension because the slightly lighter tension makes playing a little easier and using a thinner string for the bottom offers a little more definition and attack. For example, on a regular set of 10's I like the feel of the 26, 36, and 46 gauge strings in standard because the A and D strings have about 19lbs and the low E has ~17.5. Your mileage may vary, but that's how I go about building my custom sets :)

I use guitarstringsonline.com for building sets out of singles. Most of their strings come individually sealed, and I've yet to find a site with better prices on D'addario strings for this application. They also have regular sets for good prices too :yesway:

bennerman

Reaction score
I've found this calculator is easier to use than the D'addario one: Hikky Z's String Assembler

For standard, I'd try 9.5, 13, 16, 26, 36, 46 or 48, 62

For G# standard, I'd try 11.5, 15, 24w, 32, 42, 56, 70 or 72

Both sets should offer about the same amount of tension overall, so the only adjustment you'd have to make when switching sets would be for intonation. The idea of balanced string tension is a good one, but it really only applies to wound strings or plain strings, but not both in the same set because plain strings have a higher perceived tension. I usually like to have around 15lbs of tension on my plain strings (give or take half a pound) then about 18-19lbs on my wound strings because they feel about the same across the board. However, I also like having my 6th and 7th strings have between 17 and 18lbs of tension because the slightly lighter tension makes playing a little easier and using a thinner string for the bottom offers a little more definition and attack. For example, on a regular set of 10's I like the feel of the 26, 36, and 46 gauge strings in standard because the A and D strings have about 19lbs and the low E has ~17.5. Your mileage may vary, but that's how I go about building my custom sets :)

I use guitarstringsonline.com for building sets out of singles. Most of their strings come individually sealed, and I've yet to find a site with better prices on D'addario strings for this application. They also have regular sets for good prices too :yesway:

Thanks for your help. I'm actually looking at a 27" now for the same price, but I'll keep your recommendations in mind :lol:

bennerman

Reaction score
Here are the sets I think I am settled on for 27 inch. Assuming it is properly set-up from the factory, I think I can get away without a trussrod adjustment
Gauge (weight in lbs)

Standard: 9 (14.73) + 12 (14.70) + 15 (14.47) + 25w (19.3) + 32w (17.38) + 46w (18.06) + 60w (18.46) = 117.1lbs

G# Standard: 10.5 (14.18) + 14 (14.15) + 20w* (15.18) + 30w (19.51) + 39w (17.6) + 54w (18.72) + 72w (18.26) = 117.6lbs

Stock Strings: 116.68lbs

* = I was told that it sounds kinda boss to use a wound 3rd string at un-wound tension, so I kinda wanna give that a try. I'll also buy an 18 unwound incase I don't like the wound, which would give the set a total of 117.15lbs of tension

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I like keeping the same tension on a wound 3rd as I would with the rest of the wound strings :2c: the core of a wound 3rd is really small, so you have to actually work more to bend the pitch.

I'd swap the 20w for a 22w myself, but YMMV.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I like keeping the same tension on a wound 3rd as I would with the rest of the wound strings :2c: the core of a wound 3rd is really small, so you have to actually work more to bend the pitch.

I'd swap the 20w for a 22w myself, but YMMV.

Getting a full step bend outta that would be pretty tiresome.

stevexc

Reaction score
out of my string, his string, or both?

The .022 would be about 19 pounds which would be fairly tough to bend on. Really though it comes down to your playing style. If you're playing rhythm 90% of the time and don't do a lot of bending, a heavier 3rd isn't a bad idea - you'll have the lower strings that make up the majority of your rhythm playing all feeling quite similar.

bennerman

Reaction score
The .022 would be about 19 pounds which would be fairly tough to bend on. Really though it comes down to your playing style. If you're playing rhythm 90% of the time and don't do a lot of bending, a heavier 3rd isn't a bad idea - you'll have the lower strings that make up the majority of your rhythm playing all feeling quite similar.

What if I alternate/do both?

Latest posts

')