Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Eh, depends on how hard you wanna hit - tapping and playing really hard ultimately require two completely different string tension setups, on the opposite ends of the spectrum, to be completely playable. It's still tapable, by all means, but not as easy as say, 9-42+54+74 or something. Low tension = easier tapping, high tension = easier djenting, etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I got a question about tuning. Granted, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to stuff like string tension, truss rod adjustments, etc. I was talking with a friend recently about switching to higher gauge strings, i.e: from like a set of .009s to .011s. I asked about tension on the neck and how to properly adjust the guitar when swapping to a higher gauge. He told me that all I had to do (if a specific tuning wasn't a big issue) was drop my tuning by a semitone for each "level" I go up, for example, going from E standard to E Flat standard when going from .009 to .010. This seemed kinda wonky to me, but he claims that he's done it on a few guitars and they haven't given him any problems. Assuming a balanced set of strings on a guitar in perfect working condition, could you do this without having to do any adjustments to the truss rod or intonation? I honestly doubt it, but I want to get an informed opinion.

bigboy

Reaction score
I have a js 22-7 on its way with a set of 11-70 labella strings . The sales rep said the item info said 10-70 but the pic shows 11-70. I should have a 11 I can use if need be. My question is what is the lowest I can tune to? I know my 6 string can't do E well do to me using 12-62 for drop b. I'm thinking with the thicker strings I wanna use I'm limited to drop tunning?? Oh yea I was thinking I wanna tune to G with my new 7 if that helps with what tone I'm shooting for. Ty ty

bigboy

Reaction score
I got a question about tuning. Granted, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to stuff like string tension, truss rod adjustments, etc. I was talking with a friend recently about switching to higher gauge strings, i.e: from like a set of .009s to .011s. I asked about tension on the neck and how to properly adjust the guitar when swapping to a higher gauge. He told me that all I had to do (if a specific tuning wasn't a big issue) was drop my tuning by a semitone for each "level" I go up, for example, going from E standard to E Flat standard when going from .009 to .010. This seemed kinda wonky to me, but he claims that he's done it on a few guitars and they haven't given him any problems. Assuming a balanced set of strings on a guitar in perfect working condition, could you do this without having to do any adjustments to the truss rod or intonation? I honestly doubt it, but I want to get an informed opinion.

For me using 6 strings if I tune from standered to E flat I can get away with a lil adjustment just to the bridge (action). When I started to play with 11-52 in drop c I had to play with the hole guitar. Rod/bridge etc, you wanna start after u put the new strings on brake them in(stretch) at the bridge. Get ya hight in order play up an down the whole neck looking for dead or buzzing frets. Then I go to the rod. Most new guitars come with a few Allen keys they assume u will switch there stock strings an maybe tune down. Keep in mind this how I do it ani do it with fixed bridges. I hate floating bridges I find for how I tune to B an A on my 6er's fixed is the way to go. Good luck bud

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Nice Pants - nah, you can't really do that. I mean, you could, and sorta get away without touching much, but ultimately, completely resetting the guitar when you change string gauge and tuning is ideal - gotta first check string height, then neck relief, then after that, intonate it. Intonation is always last, as height and neck adjustments will change the intonation, just slightly

Big Boy, if you're shooting for Drop G, I'd suggest a D'addario 11-56 set with a 74 for the low string. However, if you're doing G standard, I'd do 12-16-25W-34-44-59-74, instead.

bigboy

Reaction score
Nice Pants - nah, you can't really do that. I mean, you could, and sorta get away without touching much, but ultimately, completely resetting the guitar when you change string gauge and tuning is ideal - gotta first check string height, then neck relief, then after that, intonate it. Intonation is always last, as height and neck adjustments will change the intonation, just slightly

Big Boy, if you're shooting for Drop G, I'd suggest a D'addario 11-56 set with a 74 for the low string. However, if you're doing G standard, I'd do 12-16-25W-34-44-59-74, instead.

I got 10-70 the pic shows 11-70 but I got a 11 around the house. Hmmm I might be pushing it to G . I'll put them on paid 4.25 for the set on sale so I can pull any string that is off an buy singles. I use to do that bro it helped get a good sound an feel. I agree with what u told the other guy about how to setup. I kinda told him the same. It's a good feeling for me knowing I'm learning an trying to apply my knowledge to having a guitar in order. Paying 40-75.00 for a set up I won't do but a fret level etc id pay.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
I'm considering getting an Ibanez ARZ307 as my first seven-string guitar, because I want to try using various tunings. It has a 25" scale neck instead of the standard 25.5" so it kinda falls into the short-scale category.

I'll be using 11-52s for the high six strings so I could from E standard to Drop C (I'm used to playing Drop D with 9-42s on a 25.5" so I should be okay with playing C according to String Tension Pro). Which gauge should I get for the B string if I'm gonna use it for BEADGBE to GDGCFAD? I'm thinking of getting a separate .070 string for the B/7th string.

d_taton92

Reaction score
HELLO EVERYONE. I'M FAIRLY NEW TO THIS WEB SITE, AND A 7 STRING GUITAR AS WELL. I'M TUNING MY GUITAR TO AEADGBE, AND AM GETTING SOME PRETTY NASTY FRET BUZZ ON THE LOW B STRING WHEN I PLAY OPEN. I HAVE HEAVY BOTTOM STRINGS ON, AND MY ACTION IS SET PRETTY HIGH, SO I'M THINKING IT MAY BE A TRUSS ROD ISSUE. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO ADJUST THE TRUSS ROD PROPERLY TO FIX THIS ISSUE? THANKS!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
HELLO EVERYONE. I'M FAIRLY NEW TO THIS WEB SITE, AND A 7 STRING GUITAR AS WELL. I'M TUNING MY GUITAR TO AEADGBE, AND AM GETTING SOME PRETTY NASTY FRET BUZZ ON THE LOW B STRING WHEN I PLAY OPEN. I HAVE HEAVY BOTTOM STRINGS ON, AND MY ACTION IS SET PRETTY HIGH, SO I'M THINKING IT MAY BE A TRUSS ROD ISSUE. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO ADJUST THE TRUSS ROD PROPERLY TO FIX THIS ISSUE? THANKS!

Step one: Turn off Caps Lock
Step two: Click here or here
Mainly, you need to make sure you have the guitar to the point where you know the truss rod needs to be adjusted, then identify which way it needs to be adjusted, and then make certain you don't over-adjust it. With a little practice, you should be able to adjust the truss rod without stressing over it. It's typically a quick and easy adjustment with modern equipment.
Step three: ????
Step four: Profit

sadicus

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with string gauge .074 -.080?
Agile Len 27.5" Here is what' been tried so far...

Original String gauges = F# SLOP
F# B E A D G B e
.074 .054 .040 .030 .022 .015 .012 .009

Better Tension, wrong pitch

G Db Gb B E A Db Gb
.074 .054 .040 .030 .022 .015 .012 .009

looking for the goldielox magic number...?

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
Hey all!
I just ordered an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro Classic Bass.
I want to tune to dropC, with occasional standard D thrown in.
Unlike guitars, I never really found a tension/string set that I embrace on my standard tuned SG5, I just always try whatever and it worked good enough. What should I try with this Epi? Anything in normal stores or just jump right into a Kalium (or similar balanced) set?

Thanks in advance!

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
My apologies if this was covered in the 77 pages but I was curious. Is there a standard recommended tension?

Does each manufacturer have a different preference? Or is there some universal tension key?

I am aware I can do whatever I want according to preference but is there a recommended tension guide out there?

(in this case it would be for a standard 25.5" scale)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
My apologies if this was covered in the 77 pages but I was curious. Is there a standard recommended tension?

Does each manufacturer have a different preference? Or is there some universal tension key?

I am aware I can do whatever I want according to preference but is there a recommended tension guide out there?

(in this case it would be for a standard 25.5" scale)

No.

No. Not really.

There is a tension at which strings will break. For plain steel strings, though, this depends on thickness, and they will generally not break until beyond A 440 Hz. Also, if strings are too lose, they become inharmonic due to low tension. If they are too thick, they may become inharmonic due to a small scale to thickness ratio. Inharmonicity is really a matter of taste, though, some seem to prefer more inharmonic gong-like guitar tones than others.

So, really, it's purely based upon player preference.

I've heard some say that tension must be equal across the neck or else your neck will twist. I find that claim to be somewhat dubious, myself, since I've always used hybrid tension sets with higher wound string tension, but maybe I'm just lucky and the materials science is wrong...

Anyway, just use what feels good.

ddawson2012

Reaction score
Don from D'Addario here - we created a string calculator a little while back. We're hoping to update it soon with some additional features. It still functions perfectly for what is being asked here - String Tension Pro

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Don from D'Addario here - we created a string calculator a little while back. We're hoping to update it soon with some additional features. It still functions perfectly for what is being asked here - String Tension Pro

Great idea! I just tried to build an 8 string set from scratch, though, and the thing blew up and spewed out some code at me.

Code:
Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
   <system.web>
       <compilation debug="true"/>
   </system.web>
</configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   ASP.controls_scalelength_ascx.__DataBinding__control11(Object sender, EventArgs e) +308
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +304
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren() +12760215
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +321
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.CreateRow(Int32 rowIndex, Int32 dataSourceIndex, DataControlRowType rowType, DataControlRowState rowState, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem, DataControlField[] fields, TableRowCollection rows, PagedDataSource pagedDataSource) +295
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.CreateChildControls(IEnumerable dataSource, Boolean dataBinding) +4780
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.PerformDataBinding(IEnumerable data) +95
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.PerformDataBinding(IEnumerable data) +19
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.OnDataSourceViewSelectCallback(IEnumerable data) +222
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +313
   StringTensionPro.ScaleLength.EnableMode(STControlMode mode, STData data) +822
   StringTensionPro.SetBuilder.InitCustomInstrument(Int32 numStrings) +557
   StringTensionPro.SetBuilder.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +13496
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +71
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3178

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34274

Icedfirefly

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I'm confortable using a 9-42 on my 25.5 6 string ibanez tuning in E Standard
Now I got a 25.5 7 string ibanez, I would be tuning in standard too, so the seven will be a B, I want to try to keep the same gauge, so which gauge can I use for the seven string? I would like to keep the sound clear, the less muddy possible.

Thanks!!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I'm confortable using a 9-42 on my 25.5 6 string ibanez tuning in E Standard
Now I got a 25.5 7 string ibanez, I would be tuning in standard too, so the seven will be a B, I want to try to keep the same gauge, so which gauge can I use for the seven string? I would like to keep the sound clear, the less muddy possible.

Thanks!!

Try a 56 for the B string and go from there.

oracles

Reaction score
Anyone in here tuned to C standard on a 25.5" 7 before? What are you/did you use for the additional high string?

beardsworthy

Reaction score
I just picked up a used Ibanez APEX2. They come factory tuned to KoRn's signature tuning: A, D, G, C, F, A, D (low to high). Can I tune it to standard tuning? What gauges should I use for that?
md_apex2.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

')