String 'tension' way too high

• Thread starter InAbsentia_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
Ever since I've had my C-1 Hellraiser, I've found the string tension (especially when bending) to be incredibly high. Bending on this thing is like going to the gym and it's just making things extremely unpleasant for me as I bend a LOT.

Whenever I play other guitars I realise just how bad the problem is. On this guitar, bends and vibrato on the first five frets on the E, A and D is close to impossible. I've gotten used to it over the years and rolled with it but I took a break from playing recently for a few weeks, came back and this is what happened to my ring finger.

okBjRQo.jpg

I need to at least attempt to fix this, any ideas would be appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
You've had the same set of strings on it for however long you've had it? Get a 9-42 set on it if you're in E standard.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Yes, the only way to lower 'tension' is to use a thinner gauge string. If its doing that to your fingers it suggests that
A) your strings need changing anyway
B) they're too high 'tension'
C) you haven't been playing long? I've been playing 10 years and keep most of my guitars in standard with 12-56 or 13-62, I'm no stranger to 'tension' and my fingers have never blown up like that...

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
uhh.. lower gauge strings?

I'm currently using D'addario heavy top/light bottoms 10-52's I think. I'll give this a go, but why do these exact same strings bend way easier on other guitars?

You've had the same set of strings on it for however long you've had it? Get a 9-42 set on it if you're in E standard.

Changed them quite regularly actually but these strings have been on it for quite a long time, yes.

Yes, the only way to lower 'tension' is to use a thinner gauge string. If its doing that to your fingers it suggests that
A) your strings need changing anyway
B) they're too high 'tension'
C) you haven't been playing long? I've been playing 10 years and keep most of my guitars in standard with 12-56 or 13-62, I'm no stranger to 'tension' and my fingers have never blown up like that...

I've been playing for about 6 years. The strings do need changing, but whether they're new or old, this problem persists, and using the same strings on another guitar doesn't reproduce the bending problems.. I wonder why this is.

Whammy

Reaction score
I'm currently using D'addario heavy top/light bottoms 10-52's I think.

You think? :scratch:

The strings do need changing, but whether they're new or old, this problem persists, and using the same strings on another guitar doesn't reproduce the bending problems.. I wonder why this is.

Some clarification on what string gauge you are using is needed. If you're not too sure what strings you are using how do you know the other guitars you tried are using the same string size?

IF the other guitars are using the same gauge ,my only guess as to why the strings are easier to bend is if they have a shorter scale length to the 25.5" on your C-1.

Exactly when was the last time you changed strings?

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
You think? :scratch:

Some clarification on what string gauge you are using is needed. If you're not too sure what strings you are using how do you know the other guitars you tried are using the same string size?

IF the other guitars are using the same gauge ,my only guess as to why the strings are easier to bend is if they have a shorter scale length to the 25.5" on your C-1.

Exactly when was the last time you changed strings?

I'm sure they're D'addario EXL140 Top/Bottoms. I put that I think in there in case I was wrong about the string gauges. I just checked and they are indeed 10-52's. They were last changed about a month ago, three weeks out of which I didn't play my guitar at all.

I've tried the same strings on a Jackson KE-3, which also has a 25.5" scale length and they're much easier to bend. I've also used Ernie Ball 10-46's in the C-1 and had the same bending issues with that too.

I find it extremely difficult to vibrato towards the floor so I'm forced to do it upwards no matter which string I'm playing on. It's quite annoying.

maruzen

Reaction score
ouch!

to share my own experience, I've kept an Ibanez RGT 2004 model because for some strange reason doing bends using that guitar is so much easier compared to every guitar I've owned. no idea why this is so.

if the change to lower gauge strings won't make the problem go away, I would suggest you avoid using that particular guitar to avoid future injury. guitar playing shouldn't be that painful...

Whammy

Reaction score
I'm sure they're D'addario EXL140 Top/Bottoms. I put that I think in there in case I was wrong about the string gauges. I just checked and they are indeed 10-52's. They were last changed about a month ago, three weeks out of which I didn't play my guitar at all.

I've tried the same strings on a Jackson KE-3, which also has a 25.5" scale length and they're much easier to bend. I've also used Ernie Ball 10-46's in the C-1 and had the same bending issues with that too.

I find it extremely difficult to vibrato towards the floor so I'm forced to do it upwards no matter which string I'm playing on. It's quite annoying.

Regardless of guitar, if both strings are tuned the same with the same gauge and stretched to the same length (scale) then the tension WILL be the same.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but for the tension to be different at least one of the above variables needs to be different. It's just how physics work.

Short answer. Use a set of 9's

Long answer: Something is different in the setup if the string tension is higher. We don't have enough information to have a guess at what though.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
If it's *just* on bends that you are noticing a problem, maybe try polishing the frets. Rough or corroded frets will make bends harder and that can sometimes feel like higher tension.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
This is a whole lot of replies to reach the get thinner strings solution.

Just get thinner strings.

9-46 is the lower tension equivalent to your current set in E-Standard.

SP1N3SPL1TT3R

Reaction score
Buy a can Finger Eaze. Just make sure you put a piece of paper under your strings, so it doesn't build up on your fretboard.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Jazz player?

Kinda. Saying 'jazz influenced' has become a cliche around here but I guess that's what it is. It's an addiction! I just think they sound better and for very wide or slightly dissonant (7 or 9, dim) chords, you get more of a *ring* with thick strings compared to the *brrrrr* of light strings :lol:

Weirdly I don't get on anywhere near as well with strings like that in a 7 or 8, and use a regular and reg/light tensions respectively.

Anyway.

OP it could just be very rusty strings or something making your fingers react like that, I've never had blisters that bad :scratch: Either way go for 9's and see how you get on.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
This is a whole lot of replies to reach the get thinner strings solution.

Just get thinner strings.

9-46 is the lower tension equivalent to your current set in E-Standard.

one reply is a lot? Literally the first response was get lower gauge strings.

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
Kinda. Saying 'jazz influenced' has become a cliche around here but I guess that's what it is. It's an addiction! I just think they sound better and for very wide or slightly dissonant (7 or 9, dim) chords, you get more of a *ring* with thick strings compared to the *brrrrr* of light strings :lol:

Weirdly I don't get on anywhere near as well with strings like that in a 7 or 8, and use a regular and reg/light tensions respectively.

Anyway.

OP it could just be very rusty strings or something making your fingers react like that, I've never had blisters that bad :scratch: Either way go for 9's and see how you get on.

Marty Friedman fan + Three week break + 6-7 hours of constant bending/sliding + old strings = blisters that bad. I re set up the guitar and now I'm finding the bends not so bad. The pain from the blister is really something else though so I'm going to stop playing abouts now.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
one reply is a lot? Literally the first response was get lower gauge strings.

And that is where this thread should have ended.

Yes, I understand that I am a complete hypocrite for posting in it as well.

rbd

Is getting old
Reaction score
even with the same strings and same scale length, if your action is higher it may feel harder to bend. can you low the string action?