Stringray HH 5 Way/EQ Settings?

Masoo2

Reaction score
Just picked up a Stingray 5 HH in India Ivory and, being my first active bass, I'm having a bit of an odd time trying to figure out what pickup and EQ combinations work well for specific styles.

I know people love the Stingrays for slap and metalcore alike, but how do they achieve those specific sounds?

What are your favorite Stringray HH setting SSO?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eyeswide

Reaction score
Honestly, even on the exact same model of bass, you're going to have to dial it in differently. Not only that, everything else in your signal chain is going to have an impact.

Then there's the whole issue of what your band sounds like, and how they're EQ'd.

I don't think there's an appropriate answer to the question "where do I set my knobs?" Your best bet is just to play with it and go from there.

dax21

Reaction score
This is just my own opinion - leave it all centered unless you have to alter some minor adjustments. You don't want to extremely EQ it because the sound guy will have to work with your direct sounds more often than not. And also for most people those knobs can occasionally get moved by accident, for an example going for the volume knob inbetween songs and stuff like that, and if that happens then good luck finding that exact position again. It's simply impractical.

I usually boost highs just a bit, literally the smallest possible move you can physically make when turning the knob, in cases when I have to play on some rented amp that doesn't have a tweeter so that I 'open' up the sound just a bit and allow for a bit more presence. But that is subjective because on my active bass the highs knob is centered slightly higher on the EQ spectrum compared to what's usually on the amps so it works for that particular use.

')