String's 7-3 do not line up with the neck pickup pole pieces?

• Thread starter j7899
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

j7899

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but do not want to hijack it. Anyways I just got a Schecter 007 Blackjack and am having the problem as described in the title. The link below shows the problem, just add the h to the beginning, since I can't post links yet. To me it looks like the bridge was installed improperly, but I wont more ideas before I send it back to DCGL, I emailed Jason with a picture there. Let me know if anyone here needs more images, ie of the bridge to the neck pickup and I will post them up.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pict000384pd.jpe
    pict000384pd.jpe
    49.6 KB · Views: 77

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like it's F-spaced, which is slightly wider for use with FLoyd's and similar trems. I'd give my left arm that's what the problem is!!

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say it's the bridge. The low B looks to be too far from the edge of the neck. Check your bridge and make sure the strings are in the saddles correctly, and that there's nothing else going on the with the bridge.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I disagree - there's a similar amount of space on the E side, too.

Ely's probably right - it looks like it's an F-spaced pickup for me, and it's probably not a big deal.

j7899

Reaction score
nitelightboy said:
It looks like it's F-spaced, which is slightly wider for use with FLoyd's and similar trems. I'd give my left arm that's what the problem is!!

Hmmm, I just got a C7 Blackjack today from Musicians Friend(I forgot to cancel the order), it too has the same issue with the string and pole spacing. It must be the neck pickup is f spaced. I wonder why they put these in it rather than a normal spaced pickup?

j7899

Reaction score
After playing the C7 Blackjack it sounds way better than the 007 Blackjack, I hope Jason will allow me to return it as I am really disappointed with the 007 Blackjack.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
j7899 said:
Hmmm, I just got a C7 Blackjack today from Musicians Friend(I forgot to cancel the order), it too has the same issue with the string and pole spacing. It must be the neck pickup is f spaced. I wonder why they put these in it rather than a normal spaced pickup?

Probably got a shipment of the f-spaced by mistake and nobody caught it. I've seen worse on production items before.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
j7899 said:
After playing the C7 Blackjack it sounds way better than the 007 Blackjack, I hope Jason will allow me to return it as I am really disappointed with the 007 Blackjack.

If you don't mind me asking, how are they different sounding? They are completely identical guitars except for the body shape. :scratch:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mind Riot said:
If you don't mind me asking, how are they different sounding? They are completely identical guitars except for the body shape. :scratch:

Ever play two of the same guitar and have them sound totally different? I have. Sounds like the C-7s a keeper...

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
nitelightboy said:
Probably got a shipment of the f-spaced by mistake and nobody caught it. I've seen worse on production items before.

F-Spaced neck hums are pretty odd. It sounds more like they used F-Spaced '59 bridge pickups. That would be a serious "oops". However, SD doesn't seem to do a "F-Spaced" 7 string PU. Odd.

Edit: I just cracked open the case to my Jackson, and there's a slight mis-alignment, too. Maybe it's just SD's PU width?

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
:scratch:
Can you really get 7 string pickups that are F-Spaced? I have been buying and changing out pickups for my guitars for years and years and whenever buying 7 string pickups have never seen an f-spaced option and was always told by tech's and stores that you can't get f-spaced 7 string pickups.

The pickups themselves have always been the same length as opposed to the visibly noticeable 0.2mm difference between the f-spaced and non f-spaced pickups you get on 6 strings.

Can someone direct me to a site that gives you both f and non-f spaced options for 7 strings because if they are available I have made a couple of mistakes:ugh:

j7899

Reaction score
Mind Riot said:

The 007 note definition isn't anywhere near as clear as that of the C7, when playing the big B the tone on the C7 is nice and tight, with good amount of thickness, the 007 is the opposite it is much more bassy, but sounds loose. The 007 is also heavier than the C7, just goes to show you the difference between same or similar instruments can be night and day. It is also possible the C7 I got was just luck and I got a really good one. I sure as hell do not want to chance it by returning it and getting another only to have it sound like the 007.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
j7899 said:
The 007 note definition isn't anywhere near as clear as that of the C7, when playing the big B the tone on the C7 is nice and tight, with good amount of thickness, the 007 is the opposite it is much more bassy, but sounds loose. The 007 is also heavier than the C7, just goes to show you the difference between same or similar instruments can be night and day. It is also possible the C7 I got was just luck and I got a really good one. I sure as hell do not want to chance it by returning it and getting another only to have it sound like the 007.

With mid-range production guitars, this is common - the wood isn't as carefully "graded" as in the high-end ones. Especially when you get into Korean or Chinese manufacture, play as many as you can - and don't pass on a "good" one. I remember I played 15 Japanese Charvels before I bought the 375 I had - it was a crappy color (pearl magenta), and the least-adorned, but it sounded much better than all the others that had the same construction...

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
I know how two virtually identical guitars can sound and play a bit different, but such huge differences are a bit less common.

Sorry you got a bad one, my 007 Blackjack is a total peach! :cool: But at least you'll hopefully have the option to snag the good one. :yesway:

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like the routing for the pickup was done poorly, as you can see the low end side of the pickup ring is further to the left than the other side.

Krypteia713

Reaction score
Mind Riot said:
I know how two virtually identical guitars can sound and play a bit different, but such huge differences are a bit less common.

Sorry you got a bad one, my 007 Blackjack is a total peach! :cool: But at least you'll hopefully have the option to snag the good one. :yesway:

Does your 007 have the same problem with the misaligned pole pieces????? Mine has it, it just sounds great anyway.

')