Strings for F#-B-F#-B-E-G#-C# tuning (27" scale)

• Thread starter cGoEcYk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I finally got my first 7 string and kept it in B standard for a while. I tuned it down to what I normally use (drop B/C#) with the B string tuned to F#. It sounds awesome having an F# but tension is so low with stock strings/stock setup I can barely play.

I searched the forum for info on strings for this tuning and it looks like people are generally coming up with their own solutions for F# by buying a string individually or even using a bass string.

I was wondering if anyone had recommendation for a full set that could be used in this tuning or if anyone can recommend a Set + F# that is fairly easy to get. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Full set? no. You could always use a set you are comfortable with in drop B and add something like a 74 depending on the tension you like. if your low B is a .052, the .074 @ F# will match its tension.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
I would say to try something like an 11-54 with say a 66 or maybe a 68 for the F#. I currently use a set consisting of 11-15-22p-30-42-54-64 for my C# w/ G# 7-string, a set of 13-66 for my C w/ low G 7-string, then a set of 10-56 w/ a 70 for my 8 string (all are 25.5" scale...). The string guages are even throughout yet are a happy medium playability wise - not too thin, loose and floppy and not too tight that you can't bend with them. Not to mention that with a set like the 11-54 and then maybe like a 66 or 68 for the F# on a baritone, it should be pretty damn good and just right tension wise and tuning stability as well.

Unless your a really hard and heavy player and you beat the fuck out of your strings when you play, then there's really no need for something 2, 3 or 15X bigger than what you really need to get the job done. It'll save you in the long run too by cutting down on pre-mature nut grinding also from using such duke-ass strings grinding out the nut and killing the action at the nut side (I've had to replace the nut on 4 out of 6 of my guitars already due to this issue from previous owners...).

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Get an .80 for that F# (or a .74 as some have suggested--I use that for drop E @ 28 5/8"). Should tighten it right up. Are the rest of your strings at satisfactory tension? JustStrings.com is a great place.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I ended up combining two sets. I found some cheap GHS strings locally with a .070 for the F# and used a .056 B (with high C# at .011). Still not ideal (with an "E" string tuned to F# and an "A" tuned to B... not sure if that is bad for the neck), but at least now I can hear how this guitar actually sounds and get a little chunk/sizzle out of it. I'll have to continue experimenting and eventually get a professional setup.

Nautilus

Lefty supremacist
Reaction score
My 2 cents- try different gauges out yourself. Only you can truly know what feels right for you. Tonally, there will be a difference depending on the string gauge you pick. There is also the playability and practically of whatever you chose to consider.

Unfortunately there's no right answer mate. Just go with whatever you find best works for you and you alone ;)

IbanezShreds

Reaction score
I usually set mine up in drop G, and the guy at the local shop kinda helps me out (after I blow his old ass mind with drop g tuning) with a custom gauge string set.

I usually put on a standard 6 string set, like usually .11 or so, then like a .60 or I believe like a .62 or some shit on my low B.

You will probably be best off with the thickest set of 6 strings you can find, and light bass string on the low

Latest posts

')