Strings for RG8

LosingSleep

Reaction score
My best friend just ordered an RG8 and I want to buy him some strings. (I owe him for getting me a personally signed copy of Parkway Drive's newest album when he met the band.)

It's a brand new RG8 and I'm not sure how large he can go without having to file the nut. I was thinking of getting him some GHS 11-85. Is that too big for a stock nut? The next ones in line would be the EB Skinny Tops 9-80

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
I can't comment on the nut filing, my lowest string is a 75 i think and it fits fine in the nut. HOWEVER, I did need to drill the tuning peg hole wider to fit it so i'm sure something will have to be done in your case too.

LosingSleep

Reaction score
I can't comment on the nut filing, my lowest string is a 75 i think and it fits fine in the nut. HOWEVER, I did need to drill the tuning peg hole wider to fit it so i'm sure something will have to be done in your case too.

What are you tuned to if you don't mind me asking. 75 seems small af

exo

Reaction score
I'd get the NYXL 9-80 set. To me, 11's for the high strings on a 27" scale is super freaking tight. IIRC, that'll be almost twice as much tension as the typical high e on a standard 6 string.....

Whichever set you go with, It won't take much work on the nut, just run a little of the excess low string thru the slot a few times carefully, and unwind a bit of the outer wrap to get it thru the tuner hole. It's really not a lot of work at all.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
just get him the 9-80. It's a good starting point. Like exo said an 11 is very tight on a 27" scale, unless you downtune a fair amount.

LosingSleep

Reaction score
just get him the 9-80. It's a good starting point. Like exo said an 11 is very tight on a 27" scale, unless you downtune a fair amount.
Will do. I'm assuming the 11-85 would be good for
Drop D and the 9-80 would be for Drop E.

Also, I see you're a combat medic. Props.
I'm an EMT-B.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Will do. I'm assuming the 11-85 would be good for
Drop D and the 9-80 would be for Drop E.

Also, I see you're a combat medic. Props.
I'm an EMT-B.
thanks.
EMT is one of the most most overworked and underpaid jobs around. keep at it brother.
Back OT, 9-80 will be totally fine for drop e.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
The stock strings on an RG8 are the following:
.009/.011/.016/.024/.032/.042/.054/.065

Of course this set is really quite light, especially on the lower strings. Odds are your friend will have to file the nut, unless they are ok with that very small gauge. What brand(s) does your buddy normally use? Getting them an 8-string set from their fave brand is probably the best route to take, if possible. Otherwise, the easiest 8-string set to get is likely a 10-74 or 9-80 set. Ernie Ball is a solid choice. D'addario make a 10-74 set as well. If you want a 9-80 D'addario set you have to get the NYXL's and their 9-80 set differs from the Ernie Ball set on some of the strings, just fyi.

I don't know many 8-string players but most I hear of tend to grab the 9-80 Ernie Balls set.

LosingSleep

Reaction score
The stock strings on an RG8 are the following:
.009/.011/.016/.024/.032/.042/.054/.065

Of course this set is really quite light, especially on the lower strings. Odds are your friend will have to file the nut, unless they are ok with that very small gauge. What brand(s) does your buddy normally use? Getting them an 8-string set from their fave brand is probably the best route to take, if possible. Otherwise, the easiest 8-string set to get is likely a 10-74 or 9-80 set. Ernie Ball is a solid choice. D'addario make a 10-74 set as well. If you want a 9-80 D'addario set you have to get the NYXL's and their 9-80 set differs from the Ernie Ball set on some of the strings, just fyi.

I don't know many 8-string players but most I hear of tend to grab the 9-80 Ernie Balls set.
The EB skinny tops (9-80) are probably gonna be best. He loves Ernie Ball. I was considering the boomers, but he should try Standard, F Standard and Drop E before he goes down to Eb, D, and C#.
I'm sure in the future he will file the nut and do something ridiculous like the 9 string slinkys :nuts: (105-11 on an 8)

')