Strings of the Pros

• Thread starter JosephAOI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Max Dread

Reaction score
(Quick OT: thanks mods for merging the posts. It's good to get all the info together in one thread. Not 100% sure this is the best forum for it though? What do you think?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine_Rooster

Reaction score
Hi,
I understand that lee malia from bring me the horizon
uses 11-80 guage strings but is there a 11-80 gauge
packet or is it custom and if it is custom what gauge
is all the strings? I have been trying to find out for
litteraly years and all I know is that he uses ernie ball
strings gauged 11-80 please help?
Thnx

Aymara

Reaction score
One of my all time favourites is Geordie Walker from Killing Joke.

He always played a Gibson ES 295 hollow body strung with a .58 string set and tuned to standard D.

I find it still stunning, what kind of tone he generates with a hollow body.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Steve Vai - 7 string (From the Passion & Warfare tab book)

Standard Tuning (25.5") - 9, 11, 16, 24, 32, 42, 53

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
Dave Grohl: D'Addario EXL115 (11-49) set but the A and low E strings are replaced with thicker ones, so 11-14-18-28-42-60. Tuning is Drop D. He uses Gibsons most of the time so their neck's scale length is 24.75".

Polyphia: Jim Dunlop Super Bright (9-42) in Drop D on their 6-string Ibanez (25.5"). Not sure about the 7th and 8th string gauges but they likely use the same set for their high six.

Tom DeLonge: Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom (10-52) in standard on his old Fenders (25.5") and Gibsons (24.75"). He had some custom baritone Fenders tuned to C# standard for Adam's Song and Obvious live so he probably used the same gauges and the longer neck makes them less loose.

Kerry King: Dunlop 9-42 strings tuned to D# standard on his BC Rich (25.5"), 10-46 in C# standard (the 46 is replaced with a 52 for his Drop B tuning).

Unearth: Pre-2011 save for a few songs live, Dean Markley Blue Steel 10-60 7-string set for B standard/BEADGBE (Their guitars are 25.5"). They currently tune to Drop B (a whole step above Drop A/AEADGBE) so they're probably using DM's 9-56 set since a 10 isn't possible for the high F# string and the tension would be similar to the old tuning.