Strings really close the edge of the fretboard

• Thread starter dres_x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dres_x

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm putting together a partscaster and found out today while lining things up that the high and low e strings seem very close to the edges of the fretboard. They're perfectly parallel, with pretty much equal spacing on either side...just really close to the edge. I bought an american start spaced bridge from GFS thinking it wouldn't matter much since I haven't drilled holes for the bridge posts yet but will this be a problem? Should I get a tighter spaced bridge instead? Will post pics when I get home from work...stupidly forgot to take some >.<
Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

demonx

Searls Guitars
Vendor
Reaction score
Two options, wider board or skinnier bridge...

Which ones easier??

If you didnt check this, then chances are the poles on the pickups prob dont line up perfect either.

Another common problem with parts mutts is - did you measure the scale of the frets compared to the scale distance on the guitar? If its not the correct scale when you install the bridge then it'll be unplayable in that reguard also.

dres_x

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!

For the pickup, I got an F-spaced one...I assumed (stupidly :p) that the bridge spacing on "standard" fender bridges were all the same. Didn't check it with the pups yet though.

As for the scale, I didn't drill holes for the bridge yet but I know it's 25.5". That shouldn't be a problem.

My main concern is that if there will be any issues while playing that will come out of having the strings closer to the edge of the fretboard. The neck is a new one from Warmoth so if I change anything it'd be getting a narrower bridge. I'd like to know if this is just a matter of preference or if it's a necessity first.

Thanks!

demonx

Searls Guitars
Vendor
Reaction score
Well, it's preference, but thats because I prefer to be able to use my top and bottom strings!

If the strings are too close to the edge then you'll constantly be sliding off the board whenever using the higher frets on the top and bottom strings.

The guitar will still work, just wont be ideal.

dres_x

Reaction score
Hahaha yeah I see that...what should be the minimum distance from the edge of the fretboard? Right now this one is approx 2mm...my other guitars seem to be around 4mm...here's a pic

DSC02715.jpg

')