Strings

• Thread starter js75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

js75

Reaction score
Time to change out my strings.What are all you pros using out there.Got DDT drop tune 11 to 65 on my guitar right now .Looking for some suggestions.Guitar is PRS SE 7 tuned to drop A.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asphyxia

Reaction score
Time to change out my strings.What are all you pros using out there.Got DDT drop tune 11 to 65 on my guitar right now .Looking for some suggestions.Guitar is PRS SE 7 tuned to drop A.

Pros use whatever company pays them to use or at least say they do.
Most youtube pros use elixir because elixir can only afford them.
Top pros most all use Ernie Ball or Daddrio.
I use ernies, on my six string I've got 12 to 60. tuned C standard. On my seven string I use regular slinky with a 66 on top tuned drop A flat.
I might try out Kaliums next though.

robski92

Reaction score
I get mine from Stringjoy usually because I can customize the sets however I want. If I am in a pinch and I go to a store I just grab some Daddarios.

Djep

Reaction score
Every D'addario and Ernie Ball sets I've played later one have been way better.
They last double time and clarity stays longer.

I broke few D'addario 1st string while tuning I cannot remember that with EB (in same guitar and gauge).

That said EB Slinkys are my go to strings.
Hellraiser C7 09-46+60

Mathemagician

Reaction score
The Ernie ball cobalts are ....ing amazing. And I didn't not like slinkys. I use the 10-62 sevenstring set in B standard. And they're awesome. Ring out so good. I'd like a 10-60, but I'm not going to sweat 2mm on a set I can buy on Amazon/etc.

Djep

Reaction score
The Ernie ball cobalts are ....ing amazing. And I didn't not like slinkys. I use the 10-62 sevenstring set in B standard. And they're awesome. Ring out so good. I'd like a 10-60, but I'm not going to sweat 2mm on a set I can buy on Amazon/etc.

How do they compare?:wavey:

Mathemagician

Reaction score
They last a very long time, longer than the 2-3 weeks I get out of a regular pair of strings when playing regularly. Enough to be "worth" the roughly 1.8x price. They feel a little denser as well, so the tension is nice if you like it tight. That's about it really. Strings are a preference thing, NG really going to hangs someone's life, but worth checking out IMO.

Baconjerky

Reaction score
I can also vouch for the cobalts. They're really smooth feeling and I also feel like they last longer. All I use lately

Bearitone

Reaction score
I just use Stringjoy.

Its the only place I can find a .009 through .074 set for my 8 string.
If I go anywhere else I have to buy multiple packs to get the right strings, or go to kalium and pay more.

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
Kalium for 7-8 strings. GHS Boomers for 6. If GHS made the sets I use I'd probably just use their strings exclusively tbh

js75

Reaction score
Is Kaliun new,never heard of them.I live in Canada if i order out of the U.S. it gets pricey.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Used cobalt slinkies for quite a while, switched to d'addario nyxl and couldn't be happier. Much more stable tuning wise. Expensive to get the bottom string for a 7 string set though. 9-46 + 56 for my wuss fingers.

areyna21

Reaction score
I like to bounce around and try different strings but my fall back is daddario. Right now I just bought a bunch of the boomers. They recently came out with some decent 8 string sets. They have a 10-80 and a 11-85 which I think would work well for people drop tuning their 8 strings. I wish daddario would come out with something similar but the 09-80 set is just not quite right for me.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
My 7 is an Ibanez SIR27FD in drop A

Strings are EB Hybrid Slinky with a .067 from Kalium for the low A.

Nothing dull over here :cool:

Desolate1

Reaction score
For my 7's I use the DR DDT 11-54 set with an added 70 for the seventh string. My 7's are 26.5" scale and I tune to Ab standard. I tried the DDT seven string set but the 65 for the 7 was too floppy for me and did not feel balanced with the rest of the set. This works well for me since I use the 11-54 set for my 6's so I can buy the sets in bulk and save money.

js75

Reaction score
Where are you all shoppin for your single low B strings?
:hbang:

')