Struggling with djent tone (almost got it)

• Thread starter Glimpsed-AM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Glimpsed-AM

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've got my half stack at my drummers place, so I'm stuck practicing at home with my old Line 6 Spider III which I only kept around for it's ability to use headphones. Now I know most of those bands that use the 'djent' tone use Axefx and blah blah blah. But I have this tone so close to perfect... for my liking at least.

I'm learning Letter Experiment by Periphery and my sound is almost spot on, my only problem is that when I hit palm muted chords they still tend to sound a bit crunchy and blended if that makes any sense, I'm looking to make them sound crisp and clean like they sound in that song. I'm on my Jeff Loomis signature 7 string. I want to know what I may be able to tweak on the amp to get those crisp/clean sounding chords, since I have had no luck.

Since my studio headphones are in the amp I have to tweak it a little differently to match the smaller speakers that are on my headphones, so my settings are looking like this: Drive - 9.5, Bass - 3, Mids - 1.5, Treble - 6, and my channel volume is all the way up with the master volume having all the control.

EDIT: I just remembered, this guitar has EMG 707s in both positions. Could that be causing the chords to sound muddy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/beginners-faq/219326-guide-djent-tone-updated-28-11-12-a.html

Check out that guide. Specifically though the technique portion.

When you use number to tell us the settings, is that like 9.5 o'clock or 9.5/10? If it's 9.5 out of ten you're doing it wrong.

You will never get a Line 6 Spider III to sound that clear and defined. That being said, things that can be causing this are pickups (I find EMG's muddy and so do others, but many others would also disagree, so grain of salt etc.), the amp itself, and your technique. I think this problem is only going to be solved outside of the amp itself. I recommend either new pickups that are more defined, an EQ pedal to cut out any mud (100Hz and below, also a notch out somewhere between 200-500Hz depending on the guitar) or possibly using a compressor.

')