Stuck Between 2 Fretlesses

• Thread starter Van
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Van

Banned
Reaction score
After listening to Michael Manring, Cynic and Archspire, I've Decided I need a fretless. Narrowed it down to these 2:
Brice HXB-406
Brice HXB-406 Nat Spalted Fretless at RondoMusic.com
LTD B2055sm-FL
LTD B205SM-FL FRETLESS 5-String Electric Bass Guitar

being a not-too-experienced bassist I'm not sure if lines would be better to have as I read that they end up being limiting. I like the 6 strings and longer scale length of the Brice, but I don't know if starting without lines and on a longer scale is feasible. Any thoughts/suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would jump into fretless on a 6. Aside from that, the LTD is likely going to be a superior product.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I personally don't like lined boards so I'd hit up the Brice.

Fretless isn't hard or scary (lined or unlined). Don't believe the hype.

I've been playing guitar 15 yrs, bass 3yrs and I've owned an unlined fretless for 2 months. I don't even touch my fretted one anymore.

Tyghor

Reaction score
I'd recommend the LTD, you'll get more quality. I own a brice fretless bass and it need a lot of adjustment and some upgrades before beginning to feel good.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I own a Douglas fretless. Even cheaper. New strings and intonate. Don't you typically set up new guitars anyway? Ppl like throwing around words like "quality" and "needs work" but hardly provide support to substatiate claims. :2c:

Moreover it's possible for one to see "quality" where you do not (hence sentimental value and the like).

My fretted bass is a BTB405qm. I bet you'd say that one is "better quality." So.why don't I play it?

Tyghor

Reaction score
I was just stating my own opinion. My brice bass had some issues, still does. When I said quality, i meant the overall construction. I still cannot bring the neck to a good playability, I dislike the tone coming out of the pickups, among many things.

I'm not the one who is judging the quality of the instrument only by its characteristics, i only wanted to share my poor experiences with a rondo fretless. Lucky you that you've got a great playing instrument, i didn't got so lucky.

Also, I own another rondo, one of the lowest priced basses on the catalogue and i love, so it's not a price thing ;)

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
The brice is a decent bass for the price..as are Douglas. But the LTD is still a superior option. Better electronics, better pickups, better QC.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I had a fretless for a while, and I will say, it's not that bad, as long as you can do the stretches, as you need to be far more precise in fretting the notes. Personally, I'd go with the lined one, unless you have a good ear, or are very experienced on bass, which you have admitted you are not. The fact that it's a 5 or 6 string shouldn't be that bad, but the lines will be extremely helpful. Of course, the only way to tell which will work for you is to play both, and see which you prefer. However, I'd go with the LTD. Better QC, better electronics, plus the lines will be extremely helpful.

And remember, when playing fretless, you put your finger ON the line to get the correct note, not between like a regular fretted instrument. My friend was making that mistake for a while, and he always wondered why it sounded horrible.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I had a fretless for a while, and I will say, it's not that bad, as long as you can do the stretches, as you need to be far more precise in fretting the notes. Personally, I'd go with the lined one, unless you have a good ear, or are very experienced on bass, which you have admitted you are not. The fact that it's a 5 or 6 string shouldn't be that bad, but the lines will be extremely helpful. Of course, the only way to tell which will work for you is to play both, and see which you prefer. However, I'd go with the LTD. Better QC, better electronics, plus the lines will be extremely helpful.

And remember, when playing fretless, you put your finger ON the line to get the correct note, not between like a regular fretted instrument. My friend was making that mistake for a while, and he always wondered why it sounded horrible.

Precisely why I prefer lineless. The side dots are on the $

Van

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone. Looks like the Brice isn't even available anymore on the website, so Ltd it is then. I was leaning a bit more towards it anyway haha

')