Stuck between budget interfaces

blckrnblckt

Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple audio interface to get my guitar to my laptop. I've narrowed it down to

Focusrite iTrack Solo
Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Steinberg UR12

I assume both Focusrite products should be similar in quality, but are there any other differences besides the iPad capability of the iTrack? I have read about driver issues with the Focusrite products and people seem to recommend the UR12.

I can find these three used around the same price. I am not looking to get a better interface. I have set a limit of $65 for myself, so unless there is a very good reason, I will not be looking at products that cost more (used).

I guess to summarize, are there any quality differences between the iTrack Solo and Scarlett Solo, and is the UR12 better than those two? I will only be using the HiZ inputs on the interfaces. And if anyone tells me to search for information, I have and I can't find anything that compares these interfaces; they only suggest to buy the 2i4 or UR22.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Oh man, I know the feeling! One time I got stuck between budget interfaces myself. I don't know how I got wedged in there, but I kept yelling, "Help, I'm stuck between these two budget interfaces!" and finally these three dudes came over. They had to squirt a bunch of baby oil on me, and then one guy pushed one budget interface to tip it away from me, another guy pushed the other budget interface to tip it the other direction, and then the third guy pulled on my arm super hard until my greased up body slid out from between the interfaces. Super embarrassing, too, as I peed myself a little.

Kanye

Reaction score
Scarlett Solo would be my pick from that bunch

blckrnblckt

Reaction score
Then you should buy Scarlett Solo. Out of your options it's the only one with good Hi-Z specs, and actually very decent interface in general.

What would you say is the most important spec to look at for the HiZ input?

From the Focusrite website:

iTrack Solo instrument input
Frequency Response 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.2dB
THD+N 0.003% (measured with -1dBFS input and 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
Noise -87dBu (22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
Gain Range -10dB to +55dB
Max Input Level +2dBu

Scarlett Solo instrument input
Frequency Response 20 Hz - 20 kHz ± 0.1dB
Dynamic Range 106 dB (A-Weighted)
THD+N <0.02% (minimum gain, -1dBFS input with 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
Maximum input level +13 dBu
Gain Range 50 dB
Impedance 1M &#937;

UR12: can't find specs on website.

Danklin

Reaction score
Honestly nothing will beat the price and quality of focusrite.
I personally recommend the 2i2 because of it's power amp for condenser microphones

blckrnblckt

Reaction score
Honestly nothing will beat the price and quality of focusrite.
I personally recommend the 2i2 because of it's power amp for condenser microphones

I'm not going to mic anything, I know that for sure. Also, I believe all of the products I've listed have 48V phantom power.

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
What would you say is the most important spec to look at for the HiZ input?.
For me they would be in this order:

Maximum input level (more on that below)
Signal to noise ratio (pretty much self-explanatory)
Impedance (1 MOhm is standard, other values will affect frequency response)

Maximum input level on Scarlett Solo depends on generation/revision. I believe first gen had +16 dBu, which is better and should be enough for most pickups. Second gen +13 dBu is a bit worse, most likely will clip with hot pickups/very aggressive playing, but this generation has a bit better latency (it's not like it was very problematic on first gen, though). If you see something like iTrack Solo's +2 dBu - run away and don't even consider.

Hope this helps.

Also, like for Hollowway.

blckrnblckt

Reaction score
For me they would be in this order:

Maximum input level (more on that below)
Signal to noise ratio (pretty much self-explanatory)
Impedance (1 MOhm is standard, other values will affect frequency response)

Maximum input level on Scarlett Solo depends on generation/revision. I believe first gen had +16 dBu, which is better and should be enough for most pickups. Second gen +13 dBu is a bit worse, most likely will clip with hot pickups/very aggressive playing, but this generation has a bit better latency (it's not like it was very problematic on first gen, though). If you see something like iTrack Solo's +2 dBu - run away and don't even consider.

Hope this helps.

Also, like for Hollowway.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll stay away from the iTrack Solo.

Low Baller

Reaction score
I can't give any opinion on focusrite but I hear great things. I personally use a steinberg UR12 my reasoning was it came with cubase AI. For what I do it is perfect, I have a full time job I do want my recordings to sound professional. However I was on a budget and didn't have a DAW so $100 gave me everything I needed right out the gate. Despite playing for 17 years producing is new for me. Personally I am happy with the sound quality someone who has been producing a long time may give better insight for me it is good I would love to hear a pros opinion of the UR12.

It runs smooth which is really import when I get time to record it is limited and planned out. The last thing I want is to have technical issues. I have had it for a year and it seems like a good no frills solid interface.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Oh man, I know the feeling! One time I got stuck between budget interfaces myself. I don't know how I got wedged in there, but I kept yelling, "Help, I'm stuck between these two budget interfaces!" and finally these three dudes came over. They had to squirt a bunch of baby oil on me, and then one guy pushed one budget interface to tip it away from me, another guy pushed the other budget interface to tip it the other direction, and then the third guy pulled on my arm super hard until my greased up body slid out from between the interfaces. Super embarrassing, too, as I peed myself a little.

I ....ing love you man.

Henry Terry

Reaction score
I do not know anything about the other choices, but I can speak for the Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I bought one about a year and a half ago. I use it with GarageBand on my MacBook Air (mid 2013 model). I have had no complaints about it. I have used a condenser microphone through it and two guitars. One guitar is a Jackson SLSMG with an EMG 81 at the bridge and an EMG 81 at the neck. The other guitar is a parts guitar Telecaster clone with a Seymour Duncan Hotrails at the bridge and a Fender Telecaster pickup at the neck.

Several months ago, I read that some people were having trouble with overloading the inputs of the Focusrite Scarletts, especially with active pickups. My EMG 81s are active, but I have not experienced any such problems.

Also, I have had no driver issues.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
The new scarlett solo is great. Lowest signal to noise ratio of them all and a better dynamic range.
Its not a tough decision beyond that

Splenetic

Reaction score
Here's one to consider if you wanna go even cheaper. (in brand at least, far better features though) ...Behringer UMC404HD ....

I had a Presonus Audiobox 1818vsl before, bought the Behringer cause I wanted to try it, and I liked the idea of a smaller interface and bucks in my pocket....compared recorded sounds...both myself and several other friends found the Behringer sounds being fuller and overall better. Sold the audiobox, never looked back. This thing has volume pads (something the audiobox, and certain versions of the scarlett don't), and is built just as well as the audiobox. Completely unnecessary but still there: supports up to 192kHz recording.

Only downside: no on/off switch. That downside is kinda balanced out by the err..upside, feature, that it can be USB powered with up to two of the four inputs. Generally, I can't praise this thing enough.

Cost me $125 Canadian with tax thanks to a best buy sale, and that was over a year ago. I bet you could find it on a similar sale now.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score

Latest posts

')