Studio monitors?

• Thread starter subatomicsatan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

subatomicsatan

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
I'd pay attention to the freq range of each set. Remember that if you're a 7 string player, which im assuming you are, you're going to want something to cover a 50-something Hz range. (Which is usually in the 6-8" Driver catagory.)
I'm on the hunt for a nice pair right now also. I'm looking at M-Audio's and Event's offerings. Check em out ;D

hirah

Contributor
Reaction score
i have the krk 5s. they sound great imo.
i also have the krk 6" passives.
the passives have a bit more bass and less high end definition. the 5s sound more balanced and full range. although there is a little "hole" in the low mids.
still they sound great.
i wouldn't worry too much about the low end. i usually roll off guitar tracks below 80-100 hz.
just remember, monitors aren't supposed to sound good.
they are supposed to sound accurate.
i would guess that well more than 200-500 million cds have been sold that were mixed on yamaha ns10s.

D

Desecrated

I have the behringer, they sound good, if you can afford it, go for the slightly bigger 2031a

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to be a moniter snobb here but anything behringer make is pretty much...no very good!,,KRK V8's are awesome..You are looking for powered right? M-audio price per product have great deals and you could do three setups for different mixes..I could not live without my Yamaha NS-10's with Bryston amp...
Bx5 -300.00
bx3 -200.00
Pro 4's -100.00
all by M-audio

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
the Maudio's I bought for backup (bx8a I think) did not live up to the KRK V6s I have, so much so that I returned them...and I think they just lowered the prices on the KRKs

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
Behringer b2030a ...nice overall sound ..they don't color that much quite flat response ..no problems to this day and it's been a year since i got them paid $475.99 .good price I think .

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to be a moniter snobb here but anything behringer make is pretty much...no very good!,,KRK V8's are awesome..You are looking for powered right? M-audio price per product have great deals and you could do three setups for different mixes..I could not live without my Yamaha NS-10's with Bryston amp...
Bx5 -300.00
bx3 -200.00
Pro 4's -100.00
all by M-audio

couldn't agree with you more...

cheap decent mon's ...event

more pricey....Tannoy gold 12" & KILLER

ADAMS....I WANT!

Jerich I am going to be recording the MANDRAKE soon. Hitch is gonna make me some almost Flat Monitors to high specs to play with.

santiago

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I hate to be a moniter snobb here but anything behringer make is pretty much...no very good!,

Perhaps, but there's a lot of people on this board, myself included, who will disagree with you on that. ;)

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i have the krk 5s. they sound great imo.
i also have the krk 6" passives.
the passives have a bit more bass and less high end definition. the 5s sound more balanced and full range. although there is a little "hole" in the low mids.
still they sound great.
i wouldn't worry too much about the low end. i usually roll off guitar tracks below 80-100 hz.
just remember, monitors aren't supposed to sound good.
they are supposed to sound accurate.

Those KRK's kick-ass. I think it's those or the Tannoys for me...

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps, but there's a lot of people on this board, myself included, who will disagree with you on that. ;)

will not be the 1st ...will not be the last! like our butthole we all have one....:lol: :lol: :lol: i just make money with mine? while you sit at home!:bowdown:
Drew we always agree to disagree it makes it so much fun!:hbang:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
i just make money with mine? while you sit at home!

Jerich, had that been directed at anyone other than me, you'd be taking a three day nap right now. Disagreeing on gear is one thing - stooping to personal "oh, I'm a pro, I know way more than you do" attacks is a completely different one. Quite simply, you're being an asshole. Disagree all you want, but keep it civil. Consider this a formal warning.

Shikaru

Mechanical Thunder
Contributor
Reaction score
Mnemic's "The Audio Injected Soul" sounds pretty damn good to me, and that was mixed on Behringer 2031As, as far as I know :shrug:

I think it's possible to do great mixes on anything if you're used to them and you know how they translate to other mediums. I mean Bulb does amazing mixes on headphones, for example.

:2c:

D

Desecrated

will not be the 1st ...will not be the last! like our butthole we all have one....:lol: :lol: :lol: i just make money with mine? while you sit at home!:bowdown:
Drew we always agree to disagree it makes it so much fun!:hbang:

I make money on mine. I make my living with mine. Dammit my productions makes a living for about 2-3 clients of mine to. Damm you :D

subatomicsatan

Reaction score
Well, I placed an order...

*drum roll*

A pair of KRK RP-6's.

thanks for all the input, everyone!

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score

They may be good for starting out but you should eventualy get monitors that are not "Hyped" and ones that have better speaker/cab construction etc.

It is better to get for the price m audio or events or KRKs.

I dont have the best speakers in the world but they aren't the worst. My events have beeen very durable and handy though out the years. I am waiting to get some tannoy's12" or Adams. First I have oter stuff I want to oinvest in since I am used to my monitors and I get great sounds now with what I have got.

As was told to me...

"If you are used to what you have and it works....stick with it"

Although I am not a beringer fan even if i was I would stay away from their monitors for my studio.

I have worked on them I didn't like them I had a client track drums at my house and then take his tracks I did to his house and he asked me to help him mix at his studio. Tone was TOTALLY different than the tones I got on on a almost Flat monitor.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Mnemic's "The Audio Injected Soul" sounds pretty damn good to me, and that was mixed on Behringer 2031As, as far as I know :shrug:

I think it's possible to do great mixes on anything if you're used to them and you know how they translate to other mediums. I mean Bulb does amazing mixes on headphones, for example.

:2c:

tooly used behringer????

')