Studio monitors?

• Thread starter subatomicsatan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
Jerich, had that been directed at anyone other than me, you'd be taking a three day nap right now. Disagreeing on gear is one thing - stooping to personal "oh, I'm a pro, I know way more than you do" attacks is a completely different one. Quite simply, you're being an asshole. Disagree all you want, but keep it civil. Consider this a formal warning.

Three day nap?? I really do have to go to M.A one day :lol: :lol: :lol: we do need beer together! Both us must work a little too hard...to take anything said on a board seriously...Drew we always disagree...I expect it from you, sorry if i went to far!! but i stand by what I say as a statement no fact or foe...

If everyone tried a ADAM's at zero reponse you would never go back! Eq/mix/guitar world magazines and others who Rave about them cannot be wrong ..But of course I am I know i know!!!:nuts:

The Delivery was wrong not the facts!!:wavey: :wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Three day nap?? I really do have to go to M.A one day :lol: :lol: :lol: we do need beer together! Both us must work a little too hard...to take anything said on a board seriously...Drew we always disagree...I expect it from you, sorry if i went to far!! but i stand by what I say as a statement no fact or foe...

If everyone tried a ADAM's at zero reponse you would never go back! Eq/mix/guitar world magazines and others who Rave about them cannot be wrong ..But of course I am I know i know!!!:nuts:

That is true ADAMS are truly INCREDIBLE i worked on with them once at Blackstar studio in Miami FL.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

I'm a sucker for beers, dude. :yesway:

That was kinda my point. t's one thing to disagree with someone, but another to make statements like "I'll keep making money off mine while you sit at home." That's not disagreeing, that's just being a cock.

I'll gladly explain the difference to you over a few beers sometime, though, in as much detail as you want. :fawk:

Santi, honestly, that's the first time I've had anyone tell me Behringers are "hyped." :lol: The best I've heard is that they're a good buy for the price, while most people just say anything with the Behringer name on it is crap.

I grabbed 'em because they're cheap, because they're not amazing monitors but they're hardly bad, and because when I do eventually upgrade to a better pair, I can just give them to my dad, so they won't be a complete waste.

One day I'd love to grab a really nice set of monitors, but the sad reality is when I bought these, I didn't have a grand sitting around to play with, and on my recording budget I'd rather err on the side of buying more expensive mics and cheaper montiors, since my personal philosophy is that a great mix starts with great source material, and no amount of polishing, no matter how good your monitors are, will salvage a bad tone. Clearly something's working - Chris loves my acoustic tone. :lol:

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for beers, dude. :yesway:

That was kinda my point. t's one thing to disagree with someone, but another to make statements like "I'll keep making money off mine while you sit at home." That's not disagreeing, that's just being a cock.

I'll gladly explain the difference to you over a few beers sometime, though, in as much detail as you want. :fawk:

Santi, honestly, that's the first time I've had anyone tell me Behringers are "hyped." :lol: The best I've heard is that they're a good buy for the price, while most people just say anything with the Behringer name on it is crap.

I grabbed 'em because they're cheap, because they're not amazing monitors but they're hardly bad, and because when I do eventually upgrade to a better pair, I can just give them to my dad, so they won't be a complete waste.

One day I'd love to grab a really nice set of monitors, but the sad reality is when I bought these, I didn't have a grand sitting around to play with, and on my recording budget I'd rather err on the side of buying more expensive mics and cheaper montiors, since my personal philosophy is that a great mix starts with great source material, and no amount of polishing, no matter how good your monitors are, will salvage a bad tone. Clearly something's working - Chris loves my acoustic tone. :lol:

I agree its good to invest in good mics but don't forget good mic pres cause what is goint to tape should be the best possible signal. Your sound will only be as good if you signal path is as best as possible. going mic straight into lets say digi 002 or any interface is crap. You wont get much head room that way.

And I understand that $ wise it is cheaper to go down the Berhinger monitor route.

Unfortunately studios are money pits : )

But I know for myself now that my signal path is pretty killer I can now dump some $ into great monitors.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Nooooooooooooo shit. :lol:

I want to grab a decent large diaphram condenser first, but better pre's are in order at some point. :yesway:

save your money get either a Heil PR 20, 30 or 40.

Danny Carey uses the 30's on overheads. I just used them on Cymbals & Percussion recently came out killer.

The 30 is great on vox, Guitars, Toms, the 40 is great on Bass, 20 is greta on vocals , snares.

www.heilsound.com

Santiago

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Intersting... I'll be using it occasionally as a cab mic, I suspect, but mostly on acoustic guitars and vocals, if I ever find a vocalist to work with. I'd been eyeing an AKG Perception 400 simply becase I've been blown away by their C1000S's (my current go-to acoustic mic), but the Heil PR 30 looks like it could be an awesome cab mic...

Thanks for the suggestion!

KaLeVaLA

Sir Mix-A-Lot
Reaction score
I would (and actually going) go for Genelec or Dynaudio.

Both of them are studiostandard all over the world.
They can be alittle expensive, but they are def. worth the price.

BUT...no matter how you look at it...you got to buy monitors that sounds good to YOU...and that you think is comfortable listening to for several hours.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Intersting... I'll be using it occasionally as a cab mic, I suspect, but mostly on acoustic guitars and vocals, if I ever find a vocalist to work with. I'd been eyeing an AKG Perception 400 simply becase I've been blown away by their C1000S's (my current go-to acoustic mic), but the Heil PR 30 looks like it could be an awesome cab mic...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Cool deal,

Seriously its an AMAZING mic. You will find that you wont want the typical sm 57 /421 combo anymore on heavy gtrs nor if you have it the royer.

10,000 days , and the new aghora album is a testiment to that mic on guitars & Toms.

Bob Heil is a real genious.

It gives that sweet balance between agressive and smooth.

It has more attack than a 421 but smoother at the same time.

Killer ON TOMS!

Peace

Santiago

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's on the "to buy" list, dude. :yesway: Granted, that's a list that'll cost me nearly a grand, but oh well. :lol:

subatomicsatan

Reaction score
MY KRK RP-6's arrived today!

I am re-doing my music room, so I set them up in my livingroom for testing purposes. Damn, these mothers are loud!!!

My set-up was:

Helraiser C7 -> Presonus Firebox -> MacBook Pro -> KRKs (via the Firebox)

I played around with Guitar Amp Pro in Logic Pro and Guitar Rig 2.

They sound fantastic; both highs and lows are clear and well represented sonically. I barely cranked the volume for fear of blowing away my upstairs neighbors (not to mention my own ears ;) ).

I'll post more as I use them more, but so far, I am quite happy with these behemoths! :)

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
I have a pair of the behringer truth 6" monitors and they sounds fuckin awesome! especially for the price, i compared them to 1000$ monitors and they sounded just about as good and i payed 550. Behringer basically takes others technoligy and sells it for cheaper, kinda says :fawk: thanks for the idea and sells it at a good price for us money tight musicians. So if your lookin to not spend alot and still want good quality id recommend these for sure.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a pair of the behringer truth 6" monitors and they sounds fuckin awesome!

Well, the guy already decided on a different brand. But I agree with ya. I've been using the 2031A's for many years now and my mixes are awesome. YES, the Behringers (2031A's) do come out of the box hyped in the treble range, quite a bit hyped. But hey, there are switches on the back to compensate. Once I set my pair to -4db for the hi's everything was perfect for my acoustically treated room. They are by no means crap :nono: . Sure they're not Dynaudio's but they are excellent monitors for the price. I chose them over the Mackies. In the very near future I plan to fulfill my dream of getting Dynaudio's (probably the BM15A). But man they cost $2550 for a pair! Anyhow, I'm only posting this for any possible future thread readers. My Behringers have served me very well for the past few years and have been worth far more than what I paid for them :yesway:

Rev.

')