Studio & recording documentaries

• Thread starter Stiman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stiman

Reaction score
In an effort to combat the number of non-guitar/music related threads, I thought I'd start a thread about studio documentaries.

There is no other genre of TV that I love more than studio documentaries. I LOVE to see music being created and captured. I've sometimes become a fan of a band because I watched a documentary. For example, I had never listened to a single Mastodon song until one day, the YouTube algorithm fed me the Hushed and Grim studio doc. I fell in love with the band from watching it and they are now in regular rotation. It's often such a great way to get to know a band fairly quickly. You get to know the people behind the music which can strengthen your bond to their music.

The problem:
They are generally tough to find, especially the lesser known artists. They typically don't have the words "studio" or "documentary" in the video titles. Often they are titled "the making of..." which is only useful if you know the name of the album you're looking for.

I'd love to be able to discover new bands by watching studio documentaries, but you can't exactly search for a band's studio documentary when you don't know of the band's existence yet. sometimes you get lucky and just stumble upon them.

Goal:
Post links to studio documentaries that you've really enjoyed in this thread so that others can discover new bands. hell, if you have videos of you're own music being written/recorded, share it here.

-------------------

I'll start us off with the documentary that I mentioned already, which is excellent IMO

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stiman

Reaction score
Oh, I wanted to say that the doc I'm most looking forward to is the new DT album. I have really high hopes for this one.

tedtan

Reaction score
Are we talking metal studio docs here specifically (given the site demographics), or music in general?

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And YouTube just suggested Metallica - Making of Death Magnetic. I didn't think I'd dig it, but 30 seconds in I got hooked 🤣

Stiman

Reaction score

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Dang what timing. Was looking up Montserrat on Wiki and found AIR studios was there back in the 80s with a bunch of big names and popular albums were recorded. Someone made a doc not long ago. I'll try to find it.

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
Any of the Periphery ones are done really well. Just YouTube "Periphery the making of" and you'll see I think four of them? I'll post my favorite so I'm not just spamming the thread.

There's also a series of several short ones from Vola documenting their latest album Witness, which are great, and the band is stellar - they don't get nearly enough attention. First of four posted below.

Stiman

Reaction score
Any of the Periphery ones are done really well. Just YouTube "Periphery the making of" and you'll see I think four of them? I'll post my favorite so I'm not just spamming the thread.

There's also a series of several short ones from Vola documenting their latest album Witness, which are great, and the band is stellar - they don't get nearly enough attention. First of four posted below.

I've watched the Periphery ones at least twice for each one, so so good.

Just finished watching the Vola ones, really love that type of music, thanks for sharing, I'll be checking out that album now.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Depression Sessions EP documentary - Thy Art, Fit for an Autopsy, Acacia Strain:

Zer01

Reaction score
I used to watch bits of the first tape of Metallica’s Year and a half every day way back when.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
')