Stuff you can get away with when making guitars (Building hacks)

• Thread starter moikey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

moikey

Reaction score
One thing I've always wondered, but not really seen documented anywhere is the stuff you can "get away with" when making a guitar. After spending the best part of a year reading about stuff and dabbling, I've found ways to do and not to do stuff and picked up many little "clever" bits and pieces I never thought of before. Many of the build threads I see are very clean, without seeming mistakes, but I've always wondered if there are common mistakes or common things which pop up which are easily fixed that might worry a newbie. Also, I was wondering if there are any neat "hacks" which builders use to make things nice and easy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
What I learned here on SSO is steaming out a small dent in blank wood with a wet cloth and some ironing. A small scuffmark in a light stained natural finishe can be made virtually invisible by rubbing a walnut over it. (the inside content of a walnut, NOT the shell of course)

As far as getting away with something, I think you can't when making a guitar.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
+1 to that - Not taking time to do things right the first time ends up taking more work to compensate for later.

dankarghh

Reaction score
In that case I too would like to know some short cuts...

To be honest, i've only made a few guitars but you get better at it really quick, and you get much quicker as well. I read a lot, mostly stuff from this forum, and i watched youtube videos. You have to learn the rest by doing. My 2 cents anyway.

Hywel

Reaction score
A list of stuff in no particular order that someone might find useful...

1. Steam dents in wood rather than filling them if possible

2. If you can't steam it out, superglue and wood dust works really well on darker woods. If you're doing a job that makes a lot of dust (i.e. radiusing a fretboard) save the dust in a pot to use later. This technique is also useful for filling fret slot ends etc...

3. Razor blades make excellent mini scrapers.

stanley-knife-blades-6264-p.jpg

4. Always make templates for routing. If a jobs worth doing, it's worth making a decent template.

5. If you're designing a headstock with straight string pull, remember fretfind2d doesn't show proper nut spacing.

6. You can use M2 machine screws to direct mount pickups without drilling the tabs if you thread the wood directly with an M2 tap and harden the thread with thin superglue.

7. Blue painters tape makes an excellent depth stop for drill bits.

8. If you use a radiusing block for fretboards, you can make sure it stays straight by sticking some wood either side of the neck to keep in in line. Change sides and direction often.

c21xqwml.jpg

9. The plastic edge of the microplane rasp with changable blades works really well as a safe edge to easily rasp in volutes and heel transitions with much more control.

32015_600.jpg

10. USB 2.0 wire is the same as 4 conductor wire for pickups, but MUCH cheaper. Equally, the tape around the outside of pickups can be a pain to find in the EU but TESA Fabric Tape 51026 seems to be the same stuff and is easy to get hold of for a reasonable price.

11. To make an extra tight neck pocket, wrap a single wrap (or more if needed) of electrical tape around the router bit bearing so it will make the cut the tape width smaller than the template.

12. If you mess up or are getting tired, stop working and come back later.

And not really a tip but Youtube has loads of great tutorial vids from LMI, Stew-Mac and lots of luthiers so if you can't work something out, it's always worth a look on there.

:D

moikey

Reaction score
Those are great, Hywel! Thanks!

Yeah its not about shortcuts at all. I've learned that the proper way to do things is to take plenty of time, plan, and work slowly. Well that works for me at least. It was more of some cool little tips and tricks you have learned along the way, and maybe some things that can turn a disaster around! I had no idea about steaming or walnutting(?) a dent out. Makes perfect sense but I would have just tried to sand it out!

moikey

Reaction score
I think he's asking for shortcuts rather than "bodges", guys. Just poor phrasing.

Not really shortcuts, just things along the lines of rectifying bad situations, things that have went wrong for you and the lighbulb saved you, Things you have learned that have made things easier to do etc. Most of this is common stuff, jigs, templates etc, but I reckon there are tons more out there undiscovered.

VanDewart Guitars

Reaction score
I don't have a spiral cut bit, so when I am routing out my body shapes with the templates, I'll leave the tips of the horns untouched. I've had way too many grabs/blowouts. I sand them down to final shape.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a spiral cut bit, so when I am routing out my body shapes with the templates, I'll leave the tips of the horns untouched. I've had way too many grabs/blowouts. I sand them down to final shape.
I remember seeing a picture that showed how to do downhill routing to minimize tear out, but sanding the final shape is also a safer bet.

One thing I learned recently from a member here is to put down painter's tape on the fretboard before you spray glue the fret template onto it and cut the fret slots. This makes it much less of a pain in the ass to sand off the glue/paper mess that's left behind after you're done slotting. I don't remember whose build thread it was so feel free to chime in and take credit for it. :lol:

moikey

Reaction score
I remember seeing a picture that showed how to do downhill routing to minimize tear out, but sanding the final shape is also a safer bet.

One thing I learned recently from a member here is to put down painter's tape on the fretboard before you spray glue the fret template onto it and cut the fret slots. This makes it much less of a pain in the ass to sand off the glue/paper mess that's left behind after you're done slotting. I don't remember whose build thread it was so feel free to chime in and take credit for it. :lol:

Holy ...., I am about to do this! That is perfect!

')