Stupid noob question on double tracking

samu

Reaction score
Can I copy paste one track and pan them on different sides or do I have to record the same part again?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fleshwoodsteel

Reaction score
To get the sound you're looking for, you'll need to play the track again and then pan each take to the opposite side. Just copying and pasting it doesn't result in the transient differences that create that sense of space and depth that doubling a track does. While there are many debates on the topic, quad tracking, or playing the take four times and panning them either to the extreme left and right or some variation can result in a thicker heavier sound, or it can end up a pile of mush, ususally dependant upon how cleanly each take is performed and about 10 other factors.

Probably a longer answer than you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

theclap

Reaction score
no, it's the slight millisecond differences in the takes (pick attack, string mute, etc) that makes double tracking awesome. always record your takes, it's fucking hard you'll end up doing 20-50 takes on a simple track it's annoying but worth it. there are ways around it, for example, i use lecab 2 for my impulse loader and if it's way too hard or i don't remember how to play it, i will take one side, either left or right, and change the ms timing on one side, thus, simulating the differences. there are also some stereo imaging simulating vsts.

moral of the story: just record your takes, it makes you a better guitarist. Once you're ready, quadtrack.

edit: damn someone beat me to it:p. also, they don't have to be panned 100% to either side, 80-90 could sound better. Naturally, it completely varies from mix-to-mix

SLUG

Reaction score
What I do at times, is double track the guitars (allways double track), pan then hard left and right. Then copy those tracks, and keep those two more in the middle, panned like 20-30% (balance levels to taste). This has helped me get the guitars more out front and in your face more.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
What I do at times, is double track the guitars (allways double track), pan then hard left and right. Then copy those tracks, and keep those two more in the middle, panned like 20-30% (balance levels to taste). This has helped me get the guitars more out front and in your face more.

That way you're actually raising the volume of the tracks that are panned harder.You get the same effect by just raising the volume. However,if you nudge the two copied tracks by 12 ms , you get the haas effect , which is a substitute to double tracking.That way you can have the quad-tracking effect by tracking only twice.Hope that makes sense

HollowmanPL

Reaction score
If you're using impulses - you can record 2 tracks and duplicate them and use different ampsims/impulses. This can make your sound huuuge:)

')