Success! (Blackout 7s Arrived)

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Will do.

BTW, if I were you I'd order the both the bridge and neck model and see which one you like most, then sell/return the other. Both models work in either position. They have the same specs/output, one just has a ceramic magnet (ala an 81) and one has an alnico magnet (ala a 707). So, if you're used to the 707 model, I'd go with the neck one in the bridge.

i definitely will if i can swing it.

i'd love to get the set and install it, but my seven is an HxS config, so i would need to route out the neck pickup slot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Do these have the same "quick connect" system as EMGs?

Yes if its going in a guitar that already has EMGs you can use the quick connect, but otherwise you just wire it in the old fashioned way. They include 4 pots (I guess in case someone has a 2 tone/2vol guitar), battery clip, etc.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes if its going in a guitar that already has EMGs you can use the quick connect, but otherwise you just wire it in the old fashioned way. They include 4 pots (I guess in case someone has a 2 tone/2vol guitar), battery clip, etc.

Is the battery clip already soldered onto the output jack? I always hated that EMG did that.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Is the battery clip already soldered onto the output jack? I always hated that EMG did that.

Nope! The battery clip and output jack are completely separate. BTW the output jack is a Switchcraft :metal:

04.jpg

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
And I figure that all of the connection wire is included?

I didn't add my own wires to that pic no :lol: What's in that pic is what comes with these. There's also a bag with a zillion screws/washers which is hard to see in the pic.

BTW my spare pickup is now taken.

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
how much were they???
i never switched em out cause i was waitng for these cause i didnt want to mess up the pickup cavity on it
once i have the $$ imma either put these in or modify my Dean ML with some and emg 85 in the bridge and 89 or 81 in the neck

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't add my own wires to that pic no :lol: What's in that pic is what comes with these. There's also a bag with a zillion screws/washers which is hard to see in the pic.

BTW my spare pickup is now taken.

Okay, I need to order some wire anyways, so I guess I'll get a spool or two.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Okay, I need to order some wire anyways, so I guess I'll get a spool or two.

Huh? Bro, the pickups come with absolutely everything you could need.

have you had any experience with EMGs, nick?

Shawn yeah, I've been using EMGs off & on ever since I've started playing. Had many guitars with them, be it the 707, 81, 85, etc. Love/hate relationship really, they have flaws but they're cool sometimes. The Blackouts are better.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score

Shawn yeah, I've been using EMGs off & on ever since I've started playing. Had many guitars with them, be it the 707, 81, 85, etc. Love/hate relationship really, they have flaws but they're cool sometimes. The Blackouts are better.

Really? Even the wire for the pots and switch?

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score

could you describe how they're better?
i've read all of the promotion mumbo jumbo, i just want to hear it coming from someone who's actually uses them.

do the blackouts have better cleans than EMGs?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
could you describe how they're better?
i've read all of the promotion mumbo jumbo, i just want to hear it coming from someone who's actually uses them.

do the blackouts have better cleans than EMGs?

I've talked about it in depth in other threads, but I'll try to summarize:

1) Everything the 'promotion mumbo jumbo' says is true. 12-14db less noise than EMGs. More output. Deeper lows. Richer mids. Juicier leads. More dynamics. No EMG-81 nasally characteristic. No EMG 85 dry peaky attack. It's a warmer sound yet super clear. They're just... better. But also very unique. You would need to readjust some settings with your amp, including the channel/master volumes as these are considerably louder than EMGs.

2) The bridge model destroys the 81 in the clean department. The EMG 85 I thought was pretty good for cleans, as is the Blackout neck model. I'm not sure which one is better, but the signal w/ Blackouts in general is cleaner and fatter so I would side with these over EMGs w/ cleans.

Unfortunately all I can offer up is those clips made w/ my Behringer last week for the time being. Beyond that I can just give you my word that Blackouts are everything they're cracked up to be. I can't wait to track w/ them and the VHT.

Ryan

Reaction score
Nick, do they have that razor sharpness that EMGs have? That's one of the things I liked most about the 81. That articulation is important to me.

Latest posts

')