Suggest a 7 string BKP for me

• Thread starter MikeSap
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
To me, Bareknuckles have a very distinct boutique, hand wound sounding quality to them that I really like. And all of my guitars nowadays have dimarzios or SD's in em and I'm not insanely fond of them to be honest. The bkps I've tried have always gone above and beyond with impressing me. Especially when it comes to tracking. So I wanted to throw a set of BKPs in this new build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun

Reaction score
What scale your guitar has? I had a lot of BKP in different woods. For mahogany and low tuning I say Aftermath, Black Hawk or Cold Sweat. Black Hawk is brighter and deeper than Aftermath, Cold Sweat is scooped a bit, Aftermath has a focused sound not too bright, not too deep it works well with longer scale and lower tuning. If you have a longer scale your guitar has brighter tone and then go to the Aftermath. Cold Sweat not as agressive like the other two but it is very tight. Now I have a Black Hawk with 26.0 inch scale and swamp ash body and dropA tuning. I love it. Jugg is not for you. It works well with bright woods not mahogany.

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
What scale your guitar has? I had a lot of BKP in different woods. For mahogany and low tuning I say Aftermath, Black Hawk or Cold Sweat. Black Hawk is brighter and deeper than Aftermath, Cold Sweat is scooped a bit, Aftermath has a focused sound not too bright, not too deep it works well with longer scale and lower tuning. If you have a longer scale your guitar has brighter tone and then go to the Aftermath. Cold Sweat not as agressive like the other two but it is very tight. Now I have a Black Hawk with 26.0 inch scale and swamp ash body and dropA tuning. I love it. Jugg is not for you. It works well with bright woods not mahogany.

Scale length is 25.5". I've had an aftermath and a cold sweat before in a mahogany body guitar and I wasn't too big a fan. Great sounding but just not what I was looking for.

From what I've been finding, I've been very impressed with the ceramic nailbombs. So I'm ordering them next week. If they don't suit my needs, I'll most likely go with the Blackhawks.

Shotgun

Reaction score
C-bomb has more mids and more classic sound and I think it is not the best choice for low tuning btw it can works very well in the perfect wood. Black Hawk will be great for you I think.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
C-Pigs are some of th emost massive and tight high output pickups available, and they sound stupendous in my Daemoness. I've played them in Mahogany and they absolutly crush. You would be satisfied. Painkillers are great in Mahogany too, since they are bright and crisp. Both sets are very focused. More grinding mids with the PKs, more grinding low end with the C-Pigs. But both are super tight and articulate.

Reaction score
I've played with a few BKP pickups before, but honestly the Juggernaut is the only ones that have grabbed me. it's not that other BKPs are bad, I just think they build too much towards a "style".

The comments about high gain output are pretty much what im talking about, ignore guitar dynamics with a BKP, turn it up and get that "style".

That's not necessarily bad either, just not what I'm into.

(roundabout way of saying it but yeah, if you go BKP it would be Juggernaut for me.)

Albek

Reaction score
Have a black hawk set on my custom Rusti's with mahogany (you can see in my avatar) and I love them. At the moment I don't think to switch them for a loooong time :) . I've also tried a ceramic nailbomb on a Carvin 727 with koa body but still prefer the blackhawk set.
When I ordered my custom I asked a pickup suggestion directly to bkp so if I were you I ask them a suggestion.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
It's funny I have the Juggernauts in a mahogany bodied 7 and they sound spectacular! Really full and huge sounding but super clear as well. They clean up like nothing else. I think people that don't like them are used to hiding behind pickups with a massive output and don't know how to control their playing dynamics.
I tend to use their lower output pickups like the black dog and I just cant get along with the jugg. they are clear and full, but lack some of the low end body I crave and that the black dog and most of their other offerings give me, but a djentster I am not, so YMMV. :)

Pandaonslaught

Reaction score
I have Juggernauts in my Mayones regius and do not like them very much. they're "ok" to me. They sound ok, but they don't respond as well as the Aftermaths in my ibanez do. and they aren't as clear and precise as the joe bardens in my jackson SL2H-mah. Someone earlier mentioned they sound like they had a blanket over them, and that's exactly how i would describe it. I personally want to try the cold sweats or black hawks.

')