bklixuz

Reaction score
im looking for suggestions on what guitar that has these specs:
-maple fretboard
-fast/slim neck (shredder type)
-alder/ash body
-SSS or HSS config
-with trem (no floyd)

dont suggest me a fender or a fender-ish/ stratocaster look.
I like you guys to give me other brands.
im currently looking into EBMM's but those single coils they have are out of my budget and mostly their guitars are basswoods (no basswood hate but im looking for a change)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So you don't want a Fender style instrument, but you want all the specs of a Fender? :lol:

Since you didn't give a price, I'd suggest looking into an recent (couple years ago) Ibanez SA.

- Mahogany body
- H-S-S pickup config (factory set to be tap-able)
- Necks on the thinner side.
- A few models with maple boards.
- Two point (Wilkinson style) trem.

Most can be had for around $300 or so, which leaves enough wiggle room budget wise (I assume) to upgrade pickups, etc.

If you're budget is closer to the $1000 range, take a look at some of Carvin's offerings such as the Bolt Plus, Contour 66, and DC135, all can be spec'd out to your liking (for the most part).

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I agree with Max. The first thing I thought of was Carvins.

bklixuz

Reaction score
yeah... what I wanted is weird hahaha...
yes budget is close to $1500
im really liking the ebmm axis sport I wish they have a hss config...
thanks for your input max. I have looked into the carvins and liking it. :)

jl-austin

Reaction score
Might look into the G&L Invader. Although, it might be a little to "Fender like" for you. Oh wait, I am not sure you can get a vintage tremolo on those, sorry.

There is the Godin Progression and Velocity. Although those aren't alder/ash, and their necks (although very comfy) aren't slim.

bklixuz

Reaction score
its alright bro. im just looking for a guitar with maple fretboard with a single coil on the neck position and the specs above are an added bonus :) still no fenders hehehe...

this thing is gorgeous I wish they have a ssh version of this and in ash.
love the headstock and body shape:wub:
Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 625 MN Nat at RondoMusic.com

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Carvin. For under $1500 you can get a sweet Carvin with all those specs.

Guitar Asylum

Reaction score
How about a G&L Legacy HB?

Starting price is $1125, locking tuners are $35, ash body upgrade comes with premier finish ($75), #1a neck is a really slim C shape (another $35 upgrade)

Total would be $1270, essentially a better fender built in 6-8 weeks to your specs

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't call G&Ls standard profule (.83 - .96) slim at all, but I really like the feel of it.

Carvins have a slimmer neck, my C66 is king of the stable, but I do love my ASAT (with #3 neck) dearly.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
PRS EG from the early 90's should come under 1k and my friend's is a really great guitar.

It's a flat top too so looks kinda qwerky. He swapped the white pickguard for a black one though, looks a million times better.

This is the basic guitar, this particular one has a kinda JEM colour scheme going on and the wrong pickups, but you could get a new pickguard and some DiMarzio Area pickups in there to smarten it up a bit :yesway:

PRS Paul Reed Smith EG-3 Electric Guitar OHSC - eBay (item 290512766013 end time Dec-21-10 20:47:38 PST)

I'd just buy a strat TBH, the USA Standards are so good these days...

Charvel So-Cal? Again with a new pickguard, but you'd get a decent bit of cash out of selling the stock pickups anyway. It's pretty much a Fender though. I'm just thinking aloud now...

bklixuz

Reaction score
thanks so much for the inputs guys I really appreciate it :)
keep em coming...
im also looking at ebay. as far as comfort on the guitar, looks is also what im looking for. I want a guitar that does not look common... (ugh.. I wish I can have a custom made)

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
thanks so much for the inputs guys I really appreciate it :)
keep em coming...
im also looking at ebay. as far as comfort on the guitar, looks is also what im looking for. I want a guitar that does not look common... (ugh.. I wish I can have a custom made)

Once again Carvin. For $1500 you can spec out a bolt however the hell you want. Nice maple top and all.

iff

Reaction score
PRS DC3 has everything you want...

Maple fretboard, alder body, SSS, vintage trem

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
Carvins > (insert candidate here)
no thanks.

a used suhr modern pro is what you are looking for. its an h/h pickup config but it coil taps. they come in floyd and vintage style trem. maple and rosewood. i have a custom modern and its AMAZAZXAZAZING

Guitar Asylum

Reaction score
I wouldn't call G&Ls standard profule (.83 - .96) slim at all, but I really like the feel of it.

Carvins have a slimmer neck, my C66 is king of the stable, but I do love my ASAT (with #3 neck) dearly.

The #1a is not their standard neck carve - the 1a is .82-.87. It's a world of difference if you've ever played the two back to back.

Guitar Asylum

Reaction score
no thanks.

a used suhr modern pro is what you are looking for. its an h/h pickup config but it coil taps. they come in floyd and vintage style trem. maple and rosewood. i have a custom modern and its AMAZAZXAZAZING
If he were to go the suhr pro route, I think something like an s3 or s4 would fit better, no? Vintage style trem, potential HSS configuration, still a slim c neck...

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
The #1a is not their standard neck carve - the 1a is .82-.87. It's a world of difference if you've ever played the two back to back.

You are right, I realized that after, it is a similar carve to my contour then, which is quite confy. although I think the contour tops at at .9 . Hard to believe a few hundredths of an inch makes a difference but they do.

')