Suggestions for 15" guitar speakers for crusty sludgy doomy stuff

broj15

Reaction score
So I'm looking to put some new speakers in my other Peavey 2x15. I have one loaded with eminence betas that I'm currently using for bass but it seems to work well for guitar too. I Iike the betas, but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there designed specifically for guitar that would work better. Here's some of my requirements:

- big but "punchy" low end. I'd like the chugs to have a nice, weighty "thud" to them.
- high power handling at 4ohm. Atleast 300w but preferably higher.
- present, but smooth highs. That's my only complaint with the betas I have in my other 2x15. I suppose it's natural for 15"s to cut out a bit of the high end but if there's a speaker out there that can get the low end thump and still retain the highs then that would be perfect for our purposes.

Also, just to clarify, I won't be using this for prog/djent whatever. It will mainly be used for noise rock, sludge/doom, and crusty hardcore/grind/powerviolence, so if anyone around here is in that same wheelhouse it's your opinion I'm after.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want to retain the highs on a big speaker you're going to have to look at prp-audio stuff, which will probably eat into some of the characteristics you like, since they'll be much cleaner and less prone to break up (more efficient), but that's the trade off needed unless you feel like installing a tweeter/mid driver and crossover.

Alex79

Reaction score
There's very few 15" options for guitar out there and the ones that are aimed more at clean sounds; I haven't played any, but the description on this one sounds promising:
http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Wheel_House_200
Neodymium magnets should put some of those highs back in.

If you use two 8 ohms speakers of these you'll get 4 ohm and a combined power handling of 400.

broj15

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I was in a pinch as I needed to get the cab up n running for a show we we're playing and I decided to try out some eminence legends 1518's. So far I'm very very pleased with them. My guitarist just bought one of those squier jazzmaster baritones (30" scale tuned to drop A with a 14-64 set iirc) and it sounds absolutely massive through that cab.

Bearitone

Reaction score
One of the 15” speakers from the Weber ToneCvlt series.

The descriptions seem very much aimed at the doom crowd

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
For a really interesting texture, I really liked Hartke aluminum cone speakers. They have a great grindy industrial high mid, and a really textured low end that is both tight and fuzzy.

7 Stringer

Reaction score
A bit out of context but i use an ISP SL sub and my god, you keep all the crunchy mids and crisp highs but with massive, tight lows. Drop G and no flubb, at all. I am running a Revv Generator with an Empress Paraeq to fine tune all the frequencies and damn, such a wall of sound.

Carry on