Suggestions for a 7 string?

• Thread starter Silverwolf90
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwolf90

Reaction score
My 21st birthday is coming up and my parents told me they'd consider buying me a seven string.

I'd be playing drop A.

My current guitar is an Ibanez RGA121 and it plays like a fucking dream. And something with a similar feel (but with an added string) would be ideal. But realistically I'm not too familiar with sevenstrings which is why I came here.

Definitely need a fast neck. I would probably prefer a 25.5" scale. But if it was multi-scale that works as well. I've never played fanned frets but I'm sure they would not be a problem. I'm a huge fan of natural wood finishes and would prefer something along the lines of the classic "superstrat" shape. I like subtletly in my guitars. But to veer away from that shape a bit is fine (IE: I fucking love Bulb's decibel guitar)

I play in a hard rock band (www.orisonband.com) and part of the idea of me getting a 7-string is that our singer sings really well in the keys of A and my bassist just recently acquired a 5 string Warwick.

So suggest away! Price range is around $1-1.5K

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
Trem:
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez RG7420
Ibanez RG7620
Schecter Jeff Loomis
Dean RC7X
Jackson SLAT3-7
EBMM JP7's (non BFR)
ESP/LTD H1007FR

Hardtail/TOM:
Ibanez RG7421
Ibanez RG7621
ESP/LTD MH417
ESP/LTD H1007
Schecter Jeff Loomis TOM

Pretty much everything (including multiscale):
http://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html

There's a lot more out there than I listed, so what are you able to try out? Do you prefer active of passive pups? Are you willing to swap pups down the road?

Djent

Obviously!
Reaction score
The Agile Pendulum Elite 72527 might be your best option for a multiscale. If you don't want a multiscale, the Jackson SLAT3-7 might be the best, but the natural finish option is hard to track down.

Silverwolf90

Reaction score
Trem:
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez RG7420
Ibanez RG7620
Schecter Jeff Loomis
Dean RC7X
Jackson SLAT3-7
EBMM JP7's (non BFR)
ESP/LTD H1007FR

Hardtail/TOM:
Ibanez RG7421
Ibanez RG7621
ESP/LTD MH417
ESP/LTD H1007
Schecter Jeff Loomis TOM

Rondo Music Electric Guitars

There's a lot more out there than I listed, so what are you able to try out? Do you prefer active of passive pups? Are you willing to swap pups down the road?

I prefer passives on the whole. I'll likely swap whatever is stock for Bareknuckles.

I'll probably want a hard tail but thats not that important. It might be nice to have a trem since my 6string does not. Thanks for the suggestions I'll check them out!

The Agile Pendulum Elite 72527 might be your best option for a multiscale. If you don't want a multiscale, the Jackson SLAT3-7 might be the best, but the natural finish option is hard to track down.

I was actually looking at those. They seem nice!

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
I prefer passives on the whole. I'll likely swap whatever is stock for Bareknuckles.

I'll probably want a hard tail but thats not that important. It might be nice to have a trem since my 6string does not. Thanks for the suggestions I'll check them out!

Sounds like a RG7621 would be pretty much perfect then :metal:

Reaction score
My vote is for the Ibanez RGD2127Z.

Reasons:

- The 26.5 scale will sound more full in A tuning (I play in A standard and have compared different scales)

- Your guitar is mahogany, but for lower tunings you might like the clarity of high quality Basswood.

- Block the trem, and you have basically a 7 that is similar to what you have playing wise, the neck is going to be larger, but will have a similar profile.

Silverwolf90

Reaction score
My vote is for the Ibanez RGD2127Z.

Reasons:

- The 26.5 scale will sound more full in A tuning (I play in A standard and have compared different scales)

- Your guitar is mahogany, but for lower tunings you might like the clarity of high quality Basswood.

- Block the trem, and you have basically a 7 that is similar to what you have playing wise, the neck is going to be larger, but will have a similar profile.

This guitar seems very promising.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
Anything Schecter that has EMG's or REAL duncans not that duncan designed nightmare.
C-7 Custom,
Damien-7,
Garza-7,
Hellraiser-7,
Loomis sig ( FR or fixed),
C-7 Blackjack (ATX or regular).

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score
ESP LTD SC607 or 607B natural.. if you can find one.. 607 is 25.5", 607B is 27".. will definitely clarify the low A.. comes stock w/ EMG's, but you will swap anyway. Mahogany. Mine sounded really dark (Natural Mahogany/EMG 707), but I'm sure the BK's w/ Mahogany body would give you a killer tone. just something to check out if you can find one.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of the 25.5" scale guitars listed, I will give my totally biased opinion that the only two really worth considering are the EBMM JP7 and the Jackson SLAT3-7. I can speak from experience with the SLAT that it should probably handle A tuning just fine - I run mine in Bb with no clarity issues. The neckthru design really seems to help with clarity without going to the longer scale. The JP7 is substantially more expensive, but they're also the only basswood guitar I've heard sound good. :2c:

Reaction score
rg7620. if you want new, rg1527. dont let peope tell you that 25.5" scale wont do drop A without super thick strings because thats bullshit. my rg1527 has ernie ball .10-.46 gauge strings with a .58 for the low B (tuned to drop A as well) and its got great tension. guys here seem to like playing on the single tightest strings they can get. like, .12-.56 gauge for (6 string E) standard tuning. its insane

Wyldefan916

Reaction score
If it were me, these would be my top three choices...

1. Schecter Jeff Loomis FR Sig
2. Ibanez S7420
3. Jackson soloist 7-string

All are in your budget range if you wanna check them out.

Reaction score
rg7620. if you want new, rg1527. dont let peope tell you that 25.5" scale wont do drop A without super thick strings because thats bullshit. my rg1527 has ernie ball .10-.46 gauge strings with a .58 for the low B (tuned to drop A as well) and its got great tension. guys here seem to like playing on the single tightest strings they can get. like, .12-.56 gauge for (6 string E) standard tuning. its insane
we like our string tension just like we like our women
tight.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Trem:
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez RG7420
Ibanez RG7620
Schecter Jeff Loomis
Dean RC7X
Jackson SLAT3-7
EBMM JP7's (non BFR)
ESP/LTD H1007FR

Hardtail/TOM:
Ibanez RG7421
Ibanez RG7621
ESP/LTD MH417
ESP/LTD H1007
Schecter Jeff Loomis TOM

Rondo Music Electric Guitars

All of these are pretty sick. :yesway:

Levi79

Reaction score
I'd say an RG7421 or RG7621 is the obvious choice here. From the OP it's basically exactly what your looking for.

dacimvrl

ss.org irRegular
Reaction score
Out of the bunch, I would pick Ibanez 7621 in a heartbeat!! The build, the quality are top notch!!

')