Suggestions for a first seven string?

• Thread starter incinerated_guitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
To start it off, my budget is about 1K, but Id like to keep it a little under if possible. My first pick has been a new LTD AW-7, but I would like a baritone. My other pick is a used Dean URC7X, but I HATE EMG's, but thats nothing that I cant swap. What suggestions would you guys have? Obviously I'm not opposed to used guitars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
there's a whole bunch of "baritones" that you can find either new or used for under 1K.

if you consider 26.5" scale to be baritone, you have the Ibanez RGDs, the Schecter Hellraisers and Blackjacks, and the Jackson X series Soloists.

And for 27" scale, there's pretty much only the LTD Stephen Carpenter models(SC-607B and SCT-607B), or if you're VERY lucky you might find someone selling an RG1077XL or RG2077XL

hope that helped ;)

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
i recently picked up the AW-7 and i love it. Well worth the money and plays great!

Mike

Reaction score
it really shouldn't be so hard to find a baritone for under a grand, but alas it is. I hate emg too haha so I know exactly what you're going through as I just had the same dilema. I ended up getting the AW-7 and it is incredible. I couldn't be happier with the DA7's. All of the whitechapel ESP sigs are at or just above your price range. They're all fantastic guitars, but none are baritone sadly. I really like the SCT-607B. I'd get that, then just swap the pickups later. Honestly, unless you do custom, or semi-custom like carvin, you're never going to hit all the features you really want in a production 7.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
replacing EMGs is easier now that Seymour Duncan makes a bunch of soapbar-sized pickups for 7 and 8 string guitars.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Agile makes some good guitars under 1k. But you have to deal with emgs. I think they are ones with blackouts too. And they 27in scales.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
if he wants a baritone, maybe stop suggesting standard scale ones... if he didn't care about the scale length, he wouldn't have mentioned it :shrug:

:2c:

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
he said he would "like" a baritone. its never a bad idea to just give a guitar a try out. dont get your panties in a wad.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I guess it would just be best for me to go out and try what I can for now and see where that takes me (alas, theres not very many erg's in my area, so its kind of hard to get a big selection:squint:)

And as for what im playing right now, my main guitar live is a 2001 Ibanez Rg420EX. It gets the job done, and it was (from my understanding) one of the higher end guitars ibanez was producing at the time that werent prestige.

GiveUpGuitar

Give Up the Goods!
Reaction score
I recently purchased an RGD7421 (gas) and I have to say, it puts up with all of my high end Ibanez's. Only thing it needs is pickups, but I'm sure anyone would tell you that. The neck is fast, its fretted very well, and it looks sexy as fvck. I would suggest it to anyone.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
incinerated_guitar said:
To start it off, my budget is about 1K, I HATE EMG's, but thats nothing that I cant swap. What suggestions would you guys have? Obviously I'm not opposed to used guitars

A Schecter SLS with passive Seymour Duncans factory standard. The blueburst preferably. Drool.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

esvarianzza

Reaction score
I'm quite fond of 2013 Jackson ERGs spec-wise, haven't had a chance to taste them yet.
DKA7 has 26,5" scale length, D-Activators from factory (which have some resale value incase you want to for BKPs), is well under 1k and pretty sleek looking :cool:

gf29UPo.jpg

As you said, trying out a few different models will lead you in the right direction.

')