Suggestions for a good all purpose delay

• Thread starter desmondtencents
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
Hello out there,

I'm looking for some opinions on delay pedals. I'd like to have something pretty versatile for different styles of metal. A while back I bought an MXR Carbon Copy and have only messed around a little with it. It might be everything I need but I just wanted to see what some of you thought.
I've noticed that a lot of players use digital delays and the MXR is analog. What are your thoughts on the differences between the two circuit types? Pros, cons, benefits or disadvantages.
I'll probably use it in the loop of my Egnater Vengeance if that helps any. I'm working outside of the country right now so I can't go downstairs and try anything just yet. I'll be home for a break in a couple of weeks though and want to do some experimenting.
Cheers :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
i really really liked the hardwire delay, dl-8, the flashback is also good and about in that price range (160 or so?) anyways either one of those for digital modeling type delays, carbon copy is great or so i hear, i can only speak for the two i listed above

if you want more expensive, just get a damn timeline by strymon, amazing stuff there,

if not that a timefactor by eventide, but i didn't really read much of your post because i'm kind of retarded, so if you said that those high-end items are just out of range then get a damn hardwire that delay is awesome

regards

o

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Cheap: Used Digitech DigiDelay (my personal favorte delay)
Middle: TC Flashback, Boss DD6 or DD7
Expensive: TC Nova Delay, Line 6 DL4, the previously stated Strymon Timeline, Boss DD20

Out of the above, I'd go for either the DigiDelay, Flashback, or the Timeline.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'd be all over the Carbon Copy if only it was a bit longer. Believe it or not, 600MS is too short for my needs. :lol:

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
It may not be the best, but I think the Boss DD-7 does it's job well enough. 6.4 seconds of delay available, a couple types of delay, plus it can do 40 seconds of looping with overdub.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
I had the Carbon Copy, and I loved that silly little box to death. It sounds so so so good and it does its job well. The only thing I have ever disliked is that it didn't have a damn tap tempo. The Hardwire Delay is pretty dandy though, but if you have the bucks for a Strymon Timeline, then you'll never need another delay again.

4Eyes

Reaction score
eventide timefactor, strymon timeline, tc flashback x4 - that's what comes in my mind when somebody says allpurpose delay unit...

troyguitar

Reaction score
Bad thing about Carbon Copy is that you cannot precisely set the tempo, other than that it sounds great. I'd get something with a tap tempo option.

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
One pedal that I think gets overlooked alot is the line 6 M5. You can run any single effect you want including 19 different delay models plus you can also run a Gate or Noise reduction effect along with that. I usually avoid L6 gear but the stomp box modelers are seriously hard to beat, especially for the musician who gets bored easily like me. Plus the m5 is right around the same price if not a little bit more than a single effects pedal that only does one thing. Just something to think about.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
If you're lookin to save some cash while doing so...
I just picked up one of these...

Time Core|nuX|nu-X|A Product of Cherub Technology co.,Ltd

7 Modes, 40 second looper function, tap tempo, stereo ins/outs, preset recall, and tails? Its actually pretty awesome for a price around 75 on ebay. Quality is just as good as a DD7 as well.

If you're looking to a high end delay, go strymon for sure.

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
That's why I love this place. A bunch of good suggestions in a short time. I appreciate all of the feedback and I'll definitely be trying out some of the pedals mentioned while I'm home.
For those who mentioned it, the tap tempo option does seem like it would be worth buying another unit for.

mongey

Reaction score
Boss dd20 is a great option. You can have 5 presets , has a bunch of great sounds and for an amp effects loop it has -20db and + 4 db settings for line level. Which for allot of amp loops can make or break. The only down side is although you can use the tap tempo with out one you really need to buy the external momentary switch to make the tap usable live

I recently replaced my 8 year old dd20 with a strymon timeline which is just a kick ass unit if you love and use delay allot. It's not cheap but if you use delay more than a little it's worth it.

That said for allot less money the dd20 is a great unit. it sits in my not to be sold pile just in case I need it again

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
The Carbon Copy sounds amazing for that warm analog delay sound, but it won't do precise, crystal clear repeats like a digital delay. I'll keep my Carbon Copy forever, but I'd like to pick up a digital delay eventually also for different tones.

The TC flashback looks like a nice versatile delay and would be a good all in one unit, but from the comparison vids I've seen, I don't think the analog simulation can quite capture the magic of the true analog Carbon Copy; which is why I'd say go for both!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
DL4! It does everything and for decent money, they barely cost anything used!

metalguy_hk

Reaction score
i am a metal palyer as well and i am using tc flashback at the moment. its a pretty pedal but too many functions to me, because i only.need slighty feeback only. if u ask me i will vote cabon copy all the way
between is anyone know is the tiny sliver button in the middle of the pedal, i have tried to switched both sides but the sound is the same to me, thank

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
I would recommend the Line 6 M5. It has multiple delay models on it, along with a bunch of other effects, just in case you get bored.

')