Suggestions for a longer scale 7?

• Thread starter jalan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jalan

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm a noob here and am looking for some insight/advice (and yes, I did search the forum first) :)

I'm looking for a seven string that can handle the lower stuff (down 1 1/2 steps, 7th string dropped to F#) and could use some advice. I know a longer scale (more than 25.5) would help, but I don't know what's out there.

Could you guys give me some suggestions on specific brands/models, where to find them, how much, etc.? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ibanez RG7421XL is a nice one but rare. You might one to try a Schecter hellraiser as it is a baritone but its neck is pretty thick.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You should stated your budger (if any) and your previous playing experiance with 7s (ie: what kinda neck you like etc).

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
The Ibanez 7421XL was a good suggestion. I have two, and they're my favorite guitars. The ESP Stephen Carpenter models that were mentioned was a good suggestion, too. The Agile Interceptor has a 27" scale, and it's easier to find and cheaper than the 7421XL and SC models respectively.

jalan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick responses! Yes, I should've mentioned my budget -- the cheaper the better, unfortunately. I don't really wanna go above $800 and half that would be much more ideal.

I don't have a lot of experience with 7s. My only previous experience resulted in a tuning problem (I play hard and tend to knock strings out). I figure with a longer scale and some thicker strings, I can make it work. I like the Ibanez wizard-style necks, but don't mind thicker.

I'll check out the current suggestions, but fee free to keep them comin'. :hbang:

Pericles

Reaction score
Yeah man, the Interceptor is half of that. It's a great guitar and the sound of the extended scale is more than worth what they make you pay for it. Mine is far from perfect. The alignment of the nut and the neck wasn't too good, but can be changed with a little work. If something isn't right with it, you can spend the rest of the money replacing pick-ups and doing whatever else. and you'd still have a few hundred left. But, If you don't like trems, i woulden't go anywhere near it...lol

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
although i have some issues with their quality control... agile interceptors are hard to beat for the $ if you're willing to do some work on them. when set up properly, they're damn good guitars.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
with your budget, the suggestions so far are right on...

the RG XL's don't pop up very often, but that would be a great choice...

the LTD SC models would be good as well, those will have EMGs

Schecters will have slightly shorter 26.5 inch scale than the 27" on the RG XL or the SC, you could ask around to see if anybody has experimented with tuning as low as you're talking about...this would be a really good choice as you could pretty much buy a new one, but if you like the Ibby neck the Schecter neck might be a putoff...you can read for days on here about neck profiles

the Agile would likely be a good choice as well, although I've never actually seen one so can't talk from experience

')