Suggestions for in ear based rehearsal setup?

godfleshfan53

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm curious about how you would form an in ear based rehearsal setup for a 6 piece band consisting of 2 guitars, 1 bass, drums, vocalist and a DJ.

Reaction score
  • You'll need a mixer/audio interface with at least 8 input channels and several stereo and programmable outputs
  • You'll need one or 2 headphone amplifiers so everyone can receive their mixed sounds
  • Having a digital drum set from the start would be nice.
  • As for the guitar/bass amps, either go with multiFX or have a loadbox to send to the mixer/audio interface.
  • The DJ can also send its sounds into the mixer/audio interface
  • The vocalist sends its sounds directly into the mixer/audio interface.
  • Every fucking one needs their own set of headphones, vocalist included.

godfleshfan53

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
  • You'll need a mixer/audio interface with at least 8 input channels and several stereo and programmable outputs
  • You'll need one or 2 headphone amplifiers so everyone can receive their mixed sounds
  • Having a digital drum set from the start would be nice.
  • As for the guitar/bass amps, either go with multiFX or have a loadbox to send to the mixer/audio interface.
  • The DJ can also send its sounds into the mixer/audio interface
  • The vocalist sends its sounds directly into the mixer/audio interface.
  • Every fucking one needs their own set of headphones, vocalist included.
thank you, I thought as much

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
@godfleshfan53
... The loadbox is to be placed between the amp and the mixer/audio interface. Preferably one with cab simulation, either analogue or digital/IR loader.

The 8 channel mixer or audio interface goes for:
  • 2 channels for a pre-mixed drum set.
  • 1 channel per guitar - 2 minimum
  • 1 channel for the bass
  • 1 channel for Vox
  • 1 or 2 channels for the DJ.
Minimum in my counts is 8 channels. Do note that stereo channels in mixers count as 2 channels with 1 fader.
  • If your guitar players like to go stereo each, more channels to add.
  • If anyone wants to have better control over what comes from the drums, then 2 channels for a pre-mixed drum set isn't enough.
Given the actual offer on audio interfaces, I'd go this route instead of with mixers, only because you already have a base setup for multi-track recording right under your fingers. You can record and then listen to the recorded product and think and interact about it. It will also give you the possibility to rehearsal with a programmable tempo click if you so want to...