Suggestions on this mix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

svenlk

Reaction score
you need to edit out all the string noise to get more of a tight sound, also the kick just kinda gets to me, maybe too clicky? not enough "thump". and i cant hear the bass..
maybe just lower the drums a little bit as well. but altogether great tune to listen to :) i hope this helped a bit. cheers

svenlk

Reaction score
one more thing, when the solo comes in you should have it center and pan both rhythms.

Kontra5t

Reaction score
Exactly what I'm looking for. But yeah the more I listen that kick bugs me, I'm entirely new to superior drummer so still figuring out what freqs are hitting what in the mass scale of things, I definitely appreciate the feedback.

svenlk

Reaction score
no problem man, what kit on superior drummer are you using?? also are you multi tracking your drums. that helps define your drum sounds a lot and you have more editing freedom as well, this is actually a really important step in working with drums. have you ever messed around with sampling your drums? sometimes a re enforced sample on the kick and snare help a lot. let me know if your having any troubles with SD and i will gladly step by step help you out

Kontra5t

Reaction score
Just have the base kit right now no add ons..But in reference to multi tracking, I have superior running in multi-out with everything separately eq'd
I think my issue with it, is knowing what type of settings people are throwing on what,Have glanced at a few eq cheat sheets that got a good starting point,

But no never messed with the sampling portion how would you go about that

svenlk

Reaction score
you would just need a sample loader, (drumagog, or kontakt) i believe some daws even come with some sort of sample loader. route the drums to have their own individual tracks in your DAW, and then place the sample loader in the fx chain of the tracks you want to blend samples in. the great thing about that is there are a ton of free samples that sound suuuper good. THE METAL KICK DRUM | FREE kick drum samples for Metal

Stereodude

Karnivooler
Reaction score
Well, it's kinda hard to review the Mix if its already mastered. Would be easier to spot weak things, if you could provide a mix-only.

From what I hear, you already have a good and solid base mix. The mix lacks a "woop" in the deep frequencies and the snare could punch a lot more (but thats totally a matter of taste though).

I would play with compression on both elements too provide some punch. Also would add some volume around 50hz on basedrum and around 200hz on snare (just a bit). Make sure that the basedrum doesn't last too long or you will have problems with a muddy sound in fast doublebase parts.

As for the guitars: they sound good to me. i would add some gain around 1khz and increase the overall guitar volume a bit, because it's kind of hard to hear the riffs. When i mix solos, i tend to use another middle scope (usually deeper than ryhthm guitars), because else it bites with frequencies of the rhythm guitars, which will result in a not well hearable solo.

Hope it helps, keep going!:hbang:

Stereodude (first post, yay)

Latest posts

')