Sugi Guitars

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Have you guys ever played Sugi guitars? Makoto “Nick” Sugimoto makes some of the best guitars in the world that no one has heard of. Best known for building some ultra high end customs for Ibanez, Strandberg, and others, this is an example of one of his own designs that I had him build to my spec. All about that 1 hum life. Finish is “June Berry Metallic”.

Anyways, if you get a chance to play a Sugi out there, check it out! It doesn’t get much better. I have some at the Axe Palace people can try or seek out your local shop/second hand models!

Attachments

• sugi ds496 1h magenta mettalic-3.jpeg
    sugi ds496 1h magenta mettalic-3.jpeg
    702.9 KB · Views: 12
  • sugi ds496 1h magenta mettalic-2.jpeg
    sugi ds496 1h magenta mettalic-2.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 10
  • sugi ds496 1h magenta mettalic-5.jpeg
    sugi ds496 1h magenta mettalic-5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • sugi ds496 1h magenta mettalic neck detail.jpeg
    sugi ds496 1h magenta mettalic neck detail.jpeg
    501.1 KB · Views: 10
  • sugi ds496 1h magenta mettalic-6.jpeg
    sugi ds496 1h magenta mettalic-6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
Sweet-looking guitar.

The transluscent backplate is a nice touch.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sweet-looking guitar.

The transluscent backplate is a nice touch.

Yeah lots of nice little touches like that. I also like how he uses super old pieces of maple that just sound wonderful and are very stable. Silky smooth too. You can feel the quality the moment you lay your hands on any Sugi guitar. It will be a shame when he retires, he's not a youngin'.

jco5055

Reaction score
I've played 3 total Sugis, with 2 being at the Guitar Shop in Brooklyn and one was used at Make'n Music.

Weirdly enough, the two in Brooklyn seemed completely meh, but the one at Make'n was on FIRE. I'd love to stop by the Axe Palace next time I'm around Boston to see the great stuff you have!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've played 3 total Sugis, with 2 being at the Guitar Shop in Brooklyn and one was used at Make'n Music.

Weirdly enough, the two in Brooklyn seemed completely meh, but the one at Make'n was on FIRE. I'd love to stop by the Axe Palace next time I'm around Boston to see the great stuff you have!
Sounds good. Surprised to hear that, but you never know!

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm sure Sugi guitars are high-quality and would like to try one eventually, but the prices are just nuts. $5k+ for a solid finish bolt-on from a small-name manufacturer just ain't it. Those are ESP prices.

Sometimes you see some good used deals pop up on Reverb though.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
')