Sugi Guitars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I keep trying to like Sugi but it doesn't happen. Rare that I lust after some picture of a guitar enough to go out to a shop and try it out, and then not bring it home, but with Sugi it's happened at least 3 times. I know Nick obviously loads them up with other pickups for customers a lot of the time... I wish I could try one out with better pickups through a better amp than the typical JP shop. Seems like a quality build but they've all seemed a bit lacking.

Love my Sugi-built universe though!

I dont think Ive ever played a guitar at a Japanese shop through an amp. Just not worth it. I think Sugi's stock pickups sound great personally, but pickups are irrelevant to me as I almost always replace them anyways.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I dont think Ive ever played a guitar at a Japanese shop through an amp. Just not worth it. I think Sugi's stock pickups sound great personally, but pickups are irrelevant to me as I almost always replace them anyways.

I should start bringing a laptop, headphones, and interface. It's hard to judge through a Jazz Chorus.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I should start bringing a laptop, headphones, and interface. It's hard to judge through a Jazz Chorus.
Personally I think you can tell without plugging in if a guitar will sound good. If it's somewhat resonant and is enjoyable to play, it can be made to sound awesome with the right pickups.

')