Suhr Guitar Vs. John Petrucci Models

• Thread starter Johngalt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Johngalt

Reaction score
Good evening fellas:

Let me preface by saying I am new the forum and I hope I'm not beating a dead horse with this question. But does anyone have input on what would be a more solid purchase between a JPXI or BFR vs. Suhr ?

I know many responses will entail "they are both good guitars, you cant go wrong" which I am sure is true, but I was hoping to find someone who has played both and can give their input on them. For the record, I have played a JPXI and like it, however, the more I read about Suhrs (have not played) the more I want to consider them before I make a huge purchase.

I am looking for a versatile guitar as I enjoying play music/sounds from ACDC, Metallica, Dream Theater, Greenday, Godsmack, Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, Dave Matthews, Disturbed, System of a Down, Linkin Park (everything lol). The other thing I want to add is despite being 6'2, I dont have very big hands so if the neck is really wide, that makes things more difficult but not unbearable.

Since becoming a new member, I have posted a few questions in theory and was blown away by the prompt and thorough responses. I hope I am able to get similar feedback on this. Thanks in advance, you guys truly kick ass.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind, Suhrs can be ordered with just about any specs (within reason/John Suhr's ideals) you can imagine. Things like pickups, neck profile, materials, hardware, etc. Based on that fact alone, I'd go with Suhr as you can make it your own.

Both guitars are built incredibly well (on average, I'd say Suhr is just a hair better, but that might just be me), and if you're already considering a BFR, the pricing isn't too far off.

Johngalt

Reaction score
Thanks Metal, one thing to add is i plan on buying either of them used but in "like new" condition. So the custom ordering isnt really on the table for me at the moment. Thanks again.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even used you'll find hundreds of different configurations of Suhrs.

Think of it as picking your favorite shell out of the ocean. :lol:

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
I'd say your budget would dictate your choice for the most part. JP models are more readily available on E-bay and CL than Suhr Guitars. And in my searches Suhr are a tad more expensive than the JP models.

That being said I was able to get lucky and score a Suhr M1 guitar and its hands down the BEST guitar I've played. The action and setting is awesome, the tone is really really good and it provides the split coil capability that makes it pretty versatile. Not sure if JPMs offer split coils.

petruccirocks02

EBMM/MESA User
Reaction score
Good evening fellas:

Let me preface by saying I am new the forum and I hope I'm not beating a dead horse with this question. But does anyone have input on what would be a more solid purchase between a JPXI or BFR vs. Suhr ?

I know many responses will entail "they are both good guitars, you cant go wrong" which I am sure is true, but I was hoping to find someone who has played both and can give their input on them. For the record, I have played a JPXI and like it, however, the more I read about Suhrs (have not played) the more I want to consider them before I make a huge purchase.

I am looking for a versatile guitar as I enjoying play music/sounds from ACDC, Metallica, Dream Theater, Greenday, Godsmack, Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, Dave Matthews, Disturbed, System of a Down, Linkin Park (everything lol). The other thing I want to add is despite being 6'2, I dont have very big hands so if the neck is really wide, that makes things more difficult but not unbearable.

Since becoming a new member, I have posted a few questions in theory and was blown away by the prompt and thorough responses. I hope I am able to get similar feedback on this. Thanks in advance, you guys truly kick ass.

I have owned about 20 JP's over the past 6-7 years and 1 custom Suhr Modern. I took a gamble when I went with the Suhr since I had never owned one. Mine was a one off paintjob, custom features, etc. When I ordered mine, I was not aware that Suhr can do custom neck shapes (if you send them a neck to go off of).

The quality of Suhr guitars is second to none. I was given regular updates during my build. The finished product blew me away, but there were things that I missed about the JP's. specifically the piezo, the JP bridge, and the neck shape.

You may get along with the Suhr. Your best bet is to try out both if you can and see which one suits you better. With Suhr, your budget and imagination are really the only limits which isn't the case with the JP's where certain models only come in one color, etc.

-Phil

Reaction score
Get the one that will inspire you to play guitar the most.

This. :agreed:

I've owned the JPXI and have played numerous Suhrs (Modern, Pro series, Govan model ). I find that I dig the Suhrs more, solely based on the options and how it inspires me to write!

Symbolical

Reaction score
;) Suhr for a long run as long as you know what you want, that SOUND that will inspire you. Or JP model if thats the sound of that guitar inspire you more.

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Finding used may be the best, I personally know a hand full of cats that ordered custom through suhr & didn't get exactly what they ordered in the end. I mean these cases could be isolated, but it has seemed a lot to the different guys I know, so...I would say best bet is either work hand-in-hand to your best of abilities with suhr, communicating on a day to basis through email or whatever have you, or buy used. :)

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Depends on what you want in a guitar. I am a huge jp fanboy so I say try to find a rosewood n.eck jp

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Pretty sure you can get a brand new JPXI for like around 2000$ too if you wait for one of Musician's Friend's 15-20% off coupons. IMO it's a great price for a whole lot of tone and guitar, but like the others said it is a set fixed sound. The Suhr will give you more variety to pick from since each model varies.

')