Suhr Modern

• Thread starter angelo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angelo

novice noodler
Reaction score
could use some suhr pointers. been really interested in the suhr modern. really the andy wood and guthrie govan sigs.
i was just wondering if anyone is familiar with the moderns' pros and cons.
and possibly giving me a neck carve likeness to any other brands.
i can't get my hands on one without first ordering it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Yesterday, I played the Andy Wood and Guthrie Govan anitque model.

I have no complaints about them whatsoever, they sounded and played awesome.
Though I want to say the GG model was more comfortable.

The neck I would say is similar to a Carvin maybe or Strat like?

Othewise they were both great guitars!

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    691.9 KB · Views: 92

angelo

novice noodler
Reaction score
thanks for the info. never played a carvin before. familiar with strats so thats good. i can relate to the neck.
you're fortunate to have found a couple to try out.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
thanks for the info. never played a carvin before. familiar with strats so thats good. i can relate to the neck.

Yeah it was good neck, I think's better not to even say near a Carvin shape.

I say more of a smaller strat neck, v or c shape?

Maybe somebody on here who has one chime in a little more?

angelo

novice noodler
Reaction score
absolutely beautiful! nice quilt top. Hope you get years of enjoyment out of your modern.

AfroSamurai

Reaction score
I have a pro series, with the .780 to .830 neck (like the andy wood). From all the guitars I've played the ibanez ultra profile is the closest> My esp sc (basically an horizon) feels similar, just a tad thicker.

Hope that helps.

angelo

novice noodler
Reaction score
okay. i've had an ltd ec 1000 a few years back. that was a comfortable neck for me. not to thin. no offense to anyone but, i can't do ibanez thin necks.

angelo

novice noodler
Reaction score
well, i guess i'll steer toward the any wood sig. i see tone merchants has one available. where to get the $3800.00:scratch:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Little late, but even so.

I like the necks quite a lot, the carve isn't like anything else really, very unique feel, but the size is chunky strat-like, not tele baseball bat at all, but broad. Very comfortable indeed. The frets feel amazing, I don't know if the one I tried had stainless steel, but it certainly felt like it.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Little late, but even so.

I like the necks quite a lot, the carve isn't like anything else really, very unique feel, but the size is chunky strat-like, not tele baseball bat at all, but broad. Very comfortable indeed. The frets feel amazing, I don't know if the one I tried had stainless steel, but it certainly felt like it.

Depends on what neck options you want. I played one once with a Jackson-esque neck and almost died at how well it played. THey have a whole list of neck choices.

Seriously dude, if you have the money and patience get your own Custom Suhr Modern in stead of a Guthrie or Andy Wood Sig. Nothing wrong with either guitars for Suhr you can get your own custom spec'd

Also I recommend Rocket Music if you want one. I took lessons there when I went to Virginia Tech and they always have some awesome Suhrs in stock. Having played a few they are great guitars with stellar craftsmanship. I also called Suhr once with a few questions and they were very helpful, even asked if I wanted to talk to John himself! I declined, because all I was asking was info for on a Pro Series M1. Definitely one of my top companies. Then again I have like ten top companies lol.

angelo

novice noodler
Reaction score
definitely a good point. it appears as though there wouldn't be much of a difference pricewise either. i just hate to wait when i've decided i need something i probably don't need

')