Suicide Silence featuring Frank Mullen of Suffocation

• Thread starter CrownofWorms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
If it has been posted before; sorry.

It won't change my mind about Suicide Silence. But weather you like them or not, they have the Brutal Death Metal influence(like Garza said in another thread). And I think it is good to give ode to Suffocation this way. It would get kids who never heard of Suffocation kinda know where SS is coming from. If SS dropped Mitch, and got a guy that is more traditional, then I might actually enjoy SS.

Though I couldn't really tell Franks part most of the time except for the ed, but the song is meh imo

Discuss

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
omg, what is this world coming to.... frank mullen on a suicide silence song?

Steve08

Reaction score
Uh, this band would still utterly suck even without the repetitive genericore breakdowns, horrible songwriting and terrible vocals, because in addition to all that, their riffs are just entirely forgettable and mediocre, and they have the most vapid, half-assed guitar solos I have ever heard. There is not one legitimately redeeming quality to be found in their music... even the production sucks, really.

Instead of this band, I can opt to listen to deathcore that is actually good, with some examples of well executed "brutal deathcore" being Fit For an Autopsy - The Process of Human Extermination and Whitechapel - The Somatic Defilement. Or I can just cut the bullshit and listen to real deal brutal death metal in general. Like, okay, say you have three pizzas. Two are 2nd rate microwave pizzas bought at a supermarket. They cost the same, except one of them is just... better. It's put together more professionally and the individual ingredients are of greater quality as a whole. The third pizza is an actual oven-baked pie from a legitimate family-owned, non-chain pizzeria. Or maybe just Bertucci's. Top-tier shit, really. Also, the top-tier shit costs the same as the two pizzas bought at the supermarket.

Why should I go for the microwave pizzas when I can just eat the best pizza? In this case, the best pizza would be Suffocation-- not just because Mullen is in this song, or that they fucking RULE and are one of the best metal bands ever, but because they also pretty much invented and perfected brutal death metal-- or Defeated Sanity, or Cryptopsy, or Decrepit Birth's first album, or Disavowed, Wormed, Malignancy, old Decrepit Birth, Dysentery, Gutrot... I could go on.

Long story short, no reason to listen to Suicide Silence because they suck and there's way better out there. I place them almost on the bottom rungs as far as quality goes-- in my mind they're marginally better than something like that freaking Woe, Is Me band or whatever, because Suicide Silence's attempt at death metal is quite ham-fisted and insipid, at least it actually has some elements of death metal in it and isn't basically pop music dressed up as metal to appeal to a different audience (ie. scene kids).

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Uh, this band would still utterly suck even without the repetitive genericore breakdowns, horrible songwriting and terrible vocals, because in addition to all that, their riffs are just entirely forgettable and mediocre, and they have the most vapid, half-assed guitar solos I have ever heard. There is not one legitimately redeeming quality to be found in their music... even the production sucks, really.

Instead of this band, I can opt to listen to deathcore that is actually good, with some examples of well executed "brutal deathcore" being Fit For an Autopsy - The Process of Human Extermination and Whitechapel - The Somatic Defilement. Or I can just cut the bullshit and listen to real deal brutal death metal in general.
In this case, the best pizza would be Suffocation-- not just because Mullen is in this song, or that they fucking RULE and are one of the best metal bands ever, but because they also pretty much invented and perfected brutal death metal-- or Defeated Sanity, or Cryptopsy, or Decrepit Birth's first album, or Disavowed, Wormed, Malignancy, old Decrepit Birth, Dysentery, Gutrot... I could go on.

roughly translated:

Band X sucks for these reasons and all the bands I like are better because I think so.

Frank Mullen recorded this with them....so either he actually digs them or he's attempting to bandwagon jump for monetary gain or some other reason outside of actually liking them.....which would make him an opportunistic asshole. I'm going to go with the former of the two.

Reaction score
There was some interview I watched where Mullen digressed his disdain for deathcore in general but how they had to tour with those bands to make money.

I dont think it makes him an asshole because $ = $

Steve08

Reaction score
roughly translated:

Band X sucks for these reasons and all the bands I like are better because I think so.

Frank Mullen recorded this with them....so either he actually digs them or he's attempting to bandwagon jump for monetary gain or some other reason outside of actually liking them.....which would make him an opportunistic asshole. I'm going to go with the former of the two.
What's your point, exactly? All of that is entirely self-evident so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Hopefully this starts to dismantle the whole "Us vs them" Mentality when it comes to Deathcore vs. just Death metal. I like good deathcore, I like good death metal. That's all there is to it. SS might not be the best of the best of deathcore but if it gets the younger generation to explore the oldger greats like Suffo, MA and Gorguts it's all for the better. I know I liked bands (and still do) like Ion Dissonance, Sikth, Beneath the Massacre and DEP before I discovered the massive, delicious jelly donut of Techdeath.

groph

Reaction score

Instead of this band, I can opt to listen to deathcore that is actually good, with some examples of well executed "brutal deathcore" being Fit For an Autopsy - The Process of Human Extermination and Whitechapel - The Somatic Defilement. Or I can just cut the bullshit and listen to real deal brutal death metal in general. Like, okay, say you have three pizzas. Two are 2nd rate microwave pizzas bought at a supermarket. They cost the same, except one of them is just... better. It's put together more professionally and the individual ingredients are of greater quality as a whole. The third pizza is an actual oven-baked pie from a legitimate family-owned, non-chain pizzeria. Or maybe just Bertucci's. Top-tier shit, really. Also, the top-tier shit costs the same as the two pizzas bought at the supermarket.

Why should I go for the microwave pizzas when I can just eat the best pizza? In this case, the best pizza would be Suffocation-- not just because Mullen is in this song, or that they fucking RULE and are one of the best metal bands ever, but because they also pretty much invented and perfected brutal death metal-- or Defeated Sanity, or Cryptopsy, or Decrepit Birth's first album, or Disavowed, Wormed, Malignancy, old Decrepit Birth, Dysentery, Gutrot... I could go on.

Long story short, no reason to listen to Suicide Silence because they suck and there's way better out there. I place them almost on the bottom rungs as far as quality goes-- in my mind they're marginally better than something like that freaking Woe, Is Me band or whatever, because Suicide Silence's attempt at death metal is quite ham-fisted and insipid, at least it actually has some elements of death metal in it and isn't basically pop music dressed up as metal to appeal to a different audience (ie. scene kids).

I heard of this new death metal band called Ingested, is it okay if I listen to them?

Reaction score
I heard of this new death metal band called Ingested, is it okay if I listen to them?

yes because ingested is sick as fuck :hbang:
the song was meh at best I still don't like their highs very much, although I do think its good for the kids that only listen to shitty deathcore to get more into the bands that have inspired the bands we have today.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
That Suffocation band is always ripping off Suicide Silence trolololololololol

shredguitar7

Reaction score

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
im pretty new arouned here so I may be overstepping my bounds and I am not in defense of the band but more want to voice my opinion on the he sucks she sucks type crap. shouldnt it be ok for any band to write whatever they feel like as long as they are enjoying themselves and if people decide to like them well good for them too. If U dont like it shut it off!!!!!!!!!

')