Suitable cab for a single rec?

• Thread starter ss22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ss22

Reaction score
Hello,
Was hoping I could get some advice from all you knowledgable folks.
I've been lusting after a nice high gain metal amp and I simply love that crushing rectifier sound. So that's sorted. The only trouble is that I live in relatively confined quarters and by relatively limited means, which means that a 50W single rec is really my only choice. Yes I know that the single rec only has diode rectification etc etc, but it's simply the price I have to pay. With approaching middle age I have enough sag in my life anyway!
My question is, what cabinet would best suit a single rec? Given space constraints and my poor back we can pretty much rule out quads. What's good in a 212 capacity? I hear good things about Orange 212s. Can anyone confirm that or make another suggestions? The sound I'm chasing is the kind of high gain chugga chugga from bands like Fear Factory, Meshuggah and Strapping Young Lad. Never been much of a lead player, but decent cleans would be nice.
Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I have a couple setups, one of which is a solo50 and rect 212(older 140w cab). Sounds great and the heads rubber feet also perfectly straddle the side of cab if you choose to turn cab vertically and place head on top. Find a little square of foam rubber to prevent slippage and absorb vibrations.

Xherion

Reaction score
For what it's worth, my brother has a Mesa Rectoverb (single rec combo with reverb) and honestly it sounds a lot better with the built in Black Shadow than the 212 Rectifier cab with V30s. I don't know if it's the open back cab of the Rectoverb or the speaker, but it just sounds a whole lot more open with the built in speaker vs. the rectifier cab. Don't get me wrong, I personally love my 212 Rectifier cab for my 5150, but I would maybe try different cabs with something other than V30s to see what sounds best.

ss22

Reaction score
I'll keep my eyes open for a rectoverb, but I'm trying to buy second hand and they don't seem to come up very often. I'm in Aus so shipping a Vader cabinet halfway around the world might be a little expensive. :lol: I've seen Vaders for sale in Aus, but like all things American, they basically mark it up by 150% from the US price (even though our dollar trades higher than yours now!)

groph

Reaction score
I bet something with Greenbacks might sound killer. The single recs are known to be the more "tame" of the Rectifiers (but that's like saying that the Balrog is tame compared to Belphegor or Satan himself I'm sure). You might get a killer vicious tone with the speaker breakup along with the saggy characteristics of a Rectifier amp. Super dirty. I'd be curious to hear that combination, I don't know how Rectos couple with Greenback cabs. I bet the result would be fizz, but killer sounding fizz.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'd give a stiletto (Mesa) 112 a go. A single 12 will carry less than a 212 cab, but be more than loud enough for a small gig, you'll be mikibg up wherever you go anyway. It will also mean you can really crank the nuts off the head without going deaf.

I think the Stilettos are a little brighter and effort than the recto 112's, hence...

Stiletto 112 :D

ss22

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread from the inky depths, but there's been a significant development and I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Browsing through the local music store today and I chanced upon a second hand rectifier recording preamp. It's going for $1700AUD which is pretty good for Mesa gear here in Aus because everything's so darn expensive ($5.5K for a brand new Mark V, no, I'm not joking). Given my limited funds and space, is this a better option than a single recto (which seem to sell second hand at about the same price or a bit cheaper)? I currently play/record through powered studio monitors anyway, so at least the preamp option lets me play relatively quietly and avoids the need for an attenuator.
Is the tone out of those recording outputs as good as the Mesa website claims?
Will be returning to the store with guitar in tow in a couple of days and will definitely be trying the preamp through some monitors and then a 2:100 poweramp.
Cheers!

meisterjager

Now available in HD
Reaction score
The Mesa rectifier recording pre isn't all that good, from what I've heard. It does excel, as expected, when used with a power amp through a cab, though.

If the Single Rec has a preamp out (I can't remember, but I'm sure it does), then it's pretty much the same deal as using the recording preamp.. I think?

ss22

Reaction score
Hmmm... I see what you mean. There seems to be a wealth of feedback out there indicating that the rectifier recording preamp is pretty dissapointing, even when paired with a tube poweramp, and certainly the recording outputs don't live up to expectations. "mushy and fizzy" seems to be the common theme....hmm.

ss22

Reaction score
No, I've already got a GNX4 with the MFX supermodel patches. No more modelling, it's definitely got to be real tubes!

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I'd give a stiletto (Mesa) 112 a go. A single 12 will carry less than a 212 cab, but be more than loud enough for a small gig, you'll be mikibg up wherever you go anyway. It will also mean you can really crank the nuts off the head without going deaf.

I think the Stilettos are a little brighter and effort than the recto 112's, hence...

Stiletto 112 :D

Thiiiiiiiiiiiss.

Or on the cheaper end of things, look into Avatar, you can get pretty much any speaker's you want in those.

')