Summer Budget Build Challenge 2019

• Thread starter LiveOVErdrive
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I'm issuing a challenge:

Lets take this upcoming summer* and each build fully functional electric guitars for 100USD or less in parts and materials.

We can all post our updates in this thread.

Who is in(terested)?

*Winter for southern-hemisphere folks.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
I'm issuing a challenge:

Lets take this upcoming summer* and each build fully functional electric guitars for 100USD or less in parts and materials.

We can all post our updates in this thread.

Who is in(terested)?

*Winter for southern-hemisphere folks.

HAHA and take you on with your CNC machine?! :lol: but no really i would be down to try my hand at this! Any ideas on what the "rules" will be?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Off the top of my head:
- builds must be completed by... Some date.
- total cost of materials used should total to 100USD or less.
- relax and have fun. Use your best judgment for prices. If you use part of a gallon of paint, only count part of the cost. If you use a bridge you've had on a shelf for 20 years, look up what it costs used and use that. Ultimately the goal is to build with some kind of restriction, so if you have to goose the rules to suit you, that's okay! We're just here to have fun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
-I would say Sept 23rd cutoff (first day of fall)
-Only main parts count in the total cost (woods, PU's, bridge, tuners, frets, nuts, knobs, pots, switches). Dyes, stains, finishing can get very expensive depending on where you live.
-Should have a documented log of you build (either in this thread or your own with Summer2k19 Build Off in the title or something to that effect
-Maybe make the cut-off 200USD (To account for hardware)

I dunno just spit-ballin cause this gets me excited cause its right in my budget to do this kind of build.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
200 is probably still okay. You probably couldn't put two brand name humbuckers into the build for that (and have enough left to build the guitar) but you could do one. Wouldn't go any higher than that though.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
I like it. Now just to get some sponsorship deals to get the winner (Top 3?) some SSO swag!

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
My build will primarily be hand tools because that is what I have. Adapt and overcome!

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Im in. even though i have a cnc machine, i vote no cnc machines.
I have unlimited access to one of the biggest and best CNCs, but I still don't use them and wouldn't want to use them for a competition like this. That's aboslultey unfair for such a competition.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I get where you guys are coming from but I don't agree. A cnc machine is a tool. Granted it's a pretty impactful one, but it's still a tool. We all have different shops and different tools.

That's kind of why I'd rather this be a "challenge" than a competition. I just want to see what different builds we all come up with under the same price restriction. I've got no interest in competing with any of you for the "best" build. I just want to have fun.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I get where you guys are coming from but I don't agree. A cnc machine is a tool. Granted it's a pretty impactful one, but it's still a tool. We all have different shops and different tools.

That's kind of why I'd rather this be a "challenge" than a competition. I just want to see what different builds we all come up with under the same price restriction. I've got no interest in competing with any of you for the "best" build. I just want to have fun.
When you said challenge, I assumed you meant challenging each other, like a friendly competition.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
When you said challenge, I assumed you meant challenging each other, like a friendly competition.
nah the old home depot challenges were more a "test your mettle" kind of thing where people tried to build functional guitars with a very limited wood choice/budget. this is basically a newer version of the home depot challenge.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
nah the old home depot challenges were more a "test your mettle" kind of thing where people tried to build functional guitars with a very limited wood choice/budget. this is basically a newer version of the home depot challenge.
Gotcha, if that's the case then I'm okay with CNC.