Sunn O)))) can someone tell me the point?

• Thread starter Dethyr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails In Your Coffin

Reaction score
After compressing the piss out of it, and applying a boost at 1.4kHz.

Even if it wasn't compressed, I still wouldn't have very high expectations. Most of these guys today just sound like they're vomiting into microphones or clearing their throats. It's immediately clear who the professionals are and aren't. While I'm sure the younger generation here will fight til death over who's good and who isn't, if this were the 80s, I can't imagine very many (if any...) of these "Metal" bands today would have made it out of the garage. Again, maybe it's just my age showing, but I fail to hear the talent in most of them.

What's really funny to me is that I picked up the latest issue of Guitar World, and Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance got higher marks for their playing than Dave Mustaine and Chris Broderick. Anyone who's ever picked up an instrument would laugh, so it just goes to show what Guitar World's clientele have become.

Despite having hardly a modicum of respect for today's Metal bands, they're okay in my book. I'd rather see kids today listening to Avenged Sevenfold and Asking Alexandria than Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stresspill

Sig Addict
Reaction score
More so than 'sound texture' it's about the immersion of it. After a while of highly focused listening to this sort of stuff it becomes like a trance.

For me this style really makes sense when you see it live, you're deafened by it, and it shakes your entire body.

Harsh noise anyone?
Purge | kevin drumm

Nails In Your Coffin

Reaction score
More so than 'sound texture' it's about the immersion of it. After a while of highly focused listening to this sort of stuff it becomes like a trance.

For me this style really makes sense when you see it live, you're deafened by it, and it shakes your entire body.

Harsh noise anyone?
Purge | kevin drumm

Okay, I'm gonna go "listen" to Sunn-O again...

oddcam

Reaction score
^ I wouldn't waste my time if I were you. You can't force yourself to like this "music" (I'm being generous here). Dethyr (OP), if there is something you aren't "getting" about this "band," that might be a blessing.

And as long as we're using invalid metaphors to belittle each other, remember there are also people who enjoy rape.

Rape.

How's that for your strawberry ice-cream.

Nails In Your Coffin

Reaction score
^ I wouldn't waste my time if I were you. You can't force yourself to like this "music" (I'm being generous here). Dethyr (OP), if there is something you aren't "getting" about this "band," that might be a blessing.

And as long as we're using invalid metaphors to belittle each other, remember there are also people who enjoy rape.

Rape.

How's that for your strawberry ice-cream.

Here's the thing. I won't listen to them again with intentions of liking them, but I like to gain an appreciation for music, even if I don't like it. If they write their own "music," then I can appreciate that, even if it's Justin Bieber. That doesn't mean I like it, I'd just respect the fact he wrote his own stuff. Anyone who writes his/her own material deserves at least a few cool points, regardless how good or bad the music is.

IMO, anyone who has the guts to share his/her music with the world is deserving of respect. It's not always easy to have enough confidence in yourself to share your creations with the world. :yesway:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Finally sat down and really listened to these guys... my headphones are 100% incapable of getting loud enough to get the full effect, and they normally get extremely loud. Very cool stuff - must see them live.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Actually strawberry ice cream has nothing to do with berries,since it's made by adding the cream to a particular essence tasting of berries but obtained from an australian tree.

That's why it sucks.

:scratch:

Ingredients
  • 1½ cups fresh strawberries, hulled*
  • ¾ cup whole milk
  • ²∕³ cup granulated sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 1½ cups heavy cream
  • 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Instructions
Put the strawberries into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Pulse strawberries until rough/finely chopped (depending on preference). Reserve in bowl. In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed or whisk to combine the milk, sugar and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Stir in reserved strawberries with all juices. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or overnight. Turn on the Cuisinart® ice cream maker; pour the mixture into the frozen freezer bowl and let mix until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
*Frozen strawberries may be substituted if fresh strawberries are not available.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
It's low brow for sure but there isn't really anyone else doing it so I'm not mad about it. I respect it.

Edit:

Lost it HARD over the ice cream debate.

Dethyr

Banned
Reaction score
It was only a few days, not a big deal.

Anyways... lol I listened to a bunch of this band and my conclusion is that it's really not at all my thing but I can find positives in it. Still can't see why so many people are into them but I get the point of the music.

Nails In Your Coffin

Reaction score
It was only a few days, not a big deal.

Anyways... lol I listened to a bunch of this band and my conclusion is that it's really not at all my thing but I can find positives in it. Still can't see why so many people are into them but I get the point of the music.

I gave'em another listen last night and eh...not my thing. I honestly don't know anyone who likes'em, but to each his/her own. One of their "songs" wasn't too bad, but I still just dunno what to make of'em.

Dethyr

Banned
Reaction score
I am gonna start a band where I compile 50 amps onstage, all different bands, sizes etc, turn them all up to 10 on every dial. Then get a guitar with one string and play it through 17 different delay pedals and drone the open string and 14th fret over and over while I laugh like Fran Drescher with flange effects on my vocals. I will wear a hazmat suit that glows. It will be called MOON{{{{{{{ . I will play one show and then headline a random tent at Coachella.

(adds this to bucket list)

:hbang:

celticelk

Reaction score
I am gonna start a band where I compile 50 amps onstage, all different bands, sizes etc, turn them all up to 10 on every dial. Then get a guitar with one string and play it through 17 different delay pedals and drone the open string and 14th fret over and over while I laugh like Fran Drescher with flange effects on my vocals. I will wear a hazmat suit that glows. It will be called MOON{{{{{{{ . I will play one show and then headline a random tent at Coachella.

(adds this to bucket list)

:hbang:

Except that then we'll *know* you're trolling. The genius of Sunn O))) is partly that the motivations are more nebulous.

Also: is it really so hard to understand that some people like shit that you don't? Some people can't stand chocolate; I cannot personally grasp the viewpoint of these people, but I understand that it's a thing and can go on my way without belaboring the point OMG WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR NON CHOCOLATE ASS!

Dethyr

Banned
Reaction score
I was kidding not trolling, bored sitting in a communications class gets my imagination going hahah.

I agree with everything you said. From the beginning I have noted that Im aware that everyone likes different stuff.

stevexc

Reaction score
Except that then we'll *know* you're trolling. The genius of Sunn O))) is partly that the motivations are more nebulous.

Also: is it really so hard to understand that some people like shit that you don't? Some people can't stand chocolate; I cannot personally grasp the viewpoint of these people, but I understand that it's a thing and can go on my way without belaboring the point OMG WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR NON CHOCOLATE ASS!

If I don't like something, then there's no reason anybody else should. And if nobody likes it, why does it exist?

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
')