Sunn O))) guitar cabs for metal

• Thread starter Cameron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Reaction score
I know the heads are loud but not very good for metal, but how are the cabs? Would I be safer just getting Vader?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on the metal you want to play. They rule for sludge, amps and cabs. I personally wouldn't use the cabs for much in the way of technical or chuggy stuff unless you want a raw vintage sound. The head you are using will make a big difference too.

Last edited:

Cameron

Reaction score
I play out of a 5150 with an Agile EMG baritone 7. My band plays mostly dissonant heavy stuff, but we have a little technical parts here and there. Do the cabs have a good enough sludge sound to not have to worry about the tech parts sounding so-so? I'm sure I could work with the knobs a little to get something decent for them.

jerm

Reaction score
^what do you mean by do the cabs have a "good enough sludge"? Do you want them to sound sludgy?

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
I think they could pull of a converge like sound if that is technical enough for you. Your gear sounds like it *should* be ok with it. The active pickups should bring out enough clarity for it. not sure how the 5150 would work though... it may get too fizzy at some settings, i know mine can and that is with a recto cab, granted mine is the plus/II so that doesn't help.

')