Super heavy bass tone...whatchu know about dat?

• Thread starter jsaudio
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jsaudio

Reaction score
I have actually changed this mix a bit since this post and it sounds much better especially guitars will post an update if anyone is interested

Flemmigan

Snoofin' your gear
Reaction score
Do it man! The first one sounded killer so I can't even imagine how this one will sound.

sh4z

Reaction score
sick... :metal: will be waiting for the album! could use a bit more bass in the mix (imo). other than that awesome work!

alexdinky

Reaction score
killer work, man! The musicality part is really awesome, I'm listening to your track for 6th time already and will throw it to my iPod definitely ;) Although I think you need proceed working on the sound - imho the first part of the track is a bit muddy and not as intense as it should be. Actually all the atmosphere melodies are a bit muddy and lacking bass. The middle part is great and heavy as shit. Try to play around with the sound to make it more tight.

jsaudio

Reaction score
Thanks for the input man! Actually on the record it won't be 1 continuous song. The first like 1:30 is just an album intro then then the chord progression really comes in that is the beginning of the next song. Not sure why it seems muddy but I'll def look into it. Thanks.

This isn't like the final mix/master or anything as I plan to write 40 mins of continuous music within the same project window I'm just kinda mixing/mastering as I go along to see how I can make it sound I'm sure by the end I'll have it tweaked in just right. I appreciate the feedback

SomeChump

Just a Chump
Reaction score
I love the Bass Tone / Drum Kit Clip. And I love the Second clip you posted with the guitar in the mix. However, on the Sample with the intro and other things, it doesn't sound as good for some reason. If you can get that quality you have over the Second clip On you entire album, I'll buy your album.

jsaudio

Reaction score
I love the Bass Tone / Drum Kit Clip. And I love the Second clip you posted with the guitar in the mix. However, on the Sample with the intro and other things, it doesn't sound as good for some reason. If you can get that quality you have over the Second clip On you entire album, I'll buy your album.

Thanks for checking it out, the reason the first clip sounds "better" to you is because the instruments are a bit brighter thus making everything pop a little more. But if you listen to the difference in the guitars between the first and second clip the first the guitars have too much fuzz in them.

After comparing to other professionals mixes i.e Brian Hood, Sturgis mixes the second clip is actually much more comparable to their mixes. After cutting out the high end in the guitars primarily a little more everything is MUCH more balanced in the second clip. it may seem a bit "duller" to you but is has created a much better balance in the instruments overall and it more accurately comparable to the level/style of mixes im going after, or at least i think so as of now but im sure i will have this changed slightly after its all done!

jsaudio

Reaction score
sounds killer dude! is that an ibanez with the barts? also, on the grind track did you run a cab after screamer and cali d?

Not sure about the ibanez i just know they dont make it anymore, but yea run the treadplate cab with 67 condenser on it for the grind track

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
Love the music dude. You definitely have a vision and a color of tone in mind. The song oozes with vibe and atmosphere. Everything sounds really operatic, monolithic even. The only gripe I'd have is that the mix suffers from a lack of "body". While you can clearly hear everything that's happening, it's almost as if there is a lack of girth to the overall tonality of the piece. The dynamics just don't really exist there. Again, I love the track, but the mix could use a tiny bit of work. Great job though. Looking forward to more stuff! :)

jsaudio

Reaction score
Love the music dude. You definitely have a vision and a color of tone in mind. The song oozes with vibe and atmosphere. Everything sounds really operatic, monolithic even. The only gripe I'd have is that the mix suffers from a lack of "body". While you can clearly hear everything that's happening, it's almost as if there is a lack of girth to the overall tonality of the piece. The dynamics just don't really exist there. Again, I love the track, but the mix could use a tiny bit of work. Great job though. Looking forward to more stuff! :)

Hey thanks so much for listening and i realy appreciate how you described the tune as that is exactly what i want. I am trying to capture hans Zimmers sound but in metal lol to an extent at least.

when it comes to the mix, i think i am going to bring the bass up more i am working with 5 inch monitors so i tend to go really lightly on the bass to be safe. and i think that will add that girth we are looking for. When it comes to dynamics it could be the mastering because i essentialy make my stuff as loud as possibe without it sounding bad lol. Anymore people just like their stuff really loud and its not "professional" unless its damn near -7-8 RMS thanks to guys like sturgis. so it may help if in the master i would back off the limiter a bit.
If you have any other suggestions i would love to hear them.

Thanks

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
Hey thanks so much for listening and i realy appreciate how you described the tune as that is exactly what i want. I am trying to capture hans Zimmers sound but in metal lol to an extent at least.

when it comes to the mix, i think i am going to bring the bass up more i am working with 5 inch monitors so i tend to go really lightly on the bass to be safe. and i think that will add that girth we are looking for. When it comes to dynamics it could be the mastering because i essentialy make my stuff as loud as possibe without it sounding bad lol. Anymore people just like their stuff really loud and its not "professional" unless its damn near -7-8 RMS thanks to guys like sturgis. so it may help if in the master i would back off the limiter a bit.
If you have any other suggestions i would love to hear them.

Thanks

Word! :)

See, I wish we could go back to the days of old school mastering, where the loudness didn't swallow every ounce of life out of the recording. I'd kill to hear stuff like this all across the board without thinking over compression is the answer. You have some beautiful ideas hiding in there that should be seen :)

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
I tried it and I like the sound of it, trying to get it in there without it giving me a headache after a while ;).. Kind of ironic, I have learnt more from this place than Gearslutz in a day or two...

Really helped me get a phater bass tone.

jsaudio

Reaction score
I tried it and I like the sound of it, trying to get it in there without it giving me a headache after a while ;).. Kind of ironic, I have learnt more from this place than Gearslutz in a day or two...

Really helped me get a phater bass tone.

Good man, that should be the point of this forum is helping others get better. Also on your bass bus, try a cut at 4k that should help is not be so harsh. Basically you will want to treat the bass distortion as you would the guitar distortion

')