Super Hot 7 String Schecter (Japan only)!

• Thread starter mickytee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first one unfortunately doesn't do it for me. The body shape just looks...wrong, and the quilted top is quite dissapointing when you compare it to some of their other Japanese guitars finishes:
bktq.jpg

bkch.jpg

efb.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
and I bet 99% of those people couldn't hear any difference whatsoever between a 22 and 24 fret guitar with the same setup

It obviously depends on your playing style, but for example I have a PRS Custom 22-fret and a Schecter Hellraiser 24-fret, used to own a Blackjack which had Duncan's in it instead of EMG's. If you for example do chicken picking using the neck pickup, the difference is striking. The magic of a neck pickup appears when you put it under the would-be 24th fret harmonic, which is what lead Joe Satriani to say that on a 24 fret guitar, the neck pickup is useless (a bit of a stretch I'd say, but he's got a point). The sound of a 24 fret neck pickup is much, much more stale and harmonically dull. That doesn't mean you'll hear it in every note, but it makes a difference when you want to be dynamic and vary your picking to shape the tone character etc.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
and I bet 99% of those people couldn't hear any difference whatsoever between a 22 and 24 fret guitar with the same setup

Dunno about that, I mean if that were true then I wouldn't be able to tell the difference when I lower or raise the pole pieces from my Q-tuners so that it picks up on certain sections of string more than the others. And I can definitely tell the difference when doing so... So I would assume sliding the pickup farther down the body which would essentially make it pickup on different sections of string would definitely make a difference in tone.

Btw I started on a 24 fret guitar and prefer it for the playability along with having 3 octaves but I never touched the neck pup on that guitar because it plain didn't sound anything special, now when I got my old S series with 22 frets and dropped Q-tuners in it I can't get enough of the neck pup it just plain sounds amazing.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
efb.jpg

holy crap, if you wouldn't have said that's a Shecter, i'd have thought that guthrie govan has a new Suhr :eek: amazing!

Can someone comment on the pickups? those polepieces look massive

EliNoPants

Reaction score
The magic of a neck pickup appears when you put it under the would-be 24th fret harmonic

ooooooohhhh...finally explained, that actually makes sense...still don't like not being able to reach full octaves though

perhaps someone should deveop a pickup with frets above it so that it can be win/win or just epic win

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
ooooooohhhh...finally explained, that actually makes sense...still don't like not being able to reach full octaves though

Dont worry, it's not actually true. Its more to do with pickup placement and string vibration than any magic "harmonic" crap. If it were a harmonic thing, then it'd only make a difference on the open and 12 th fret.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
efb.jpg

holy crap, if you wouldn't have said that's a Shecter, i'd have thought that guthrie govan has a new Suhr :eek: amazing!

Can someone comment on the pickups? those polepieces look massive

These are the designs Tom Anderson did for them, including the pickups.

Here's an Anderson guitar:
7-String_Maple-Top-on-Basswood_Translucent-Purple-with-Binding.jpg

Look familiar? Alot of the 6-string Japanese Schecters are nearly identical to Anderson guitars.

I'm pretty sure this is why Schecter can't sell these designs in the US.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont worry, it's not actually true. Its more to do with pickup placement and string vibration than any magic "harmonic" crap. If it were a harmonic thing, then it'd only make a difference on the open and 12 th fret.

Hm, as much as I don't want to disagree with a Super Moderator, I think I'll have to :p

I'm not a physicist, but I'm a heavy neck-pickup user, and the notion that 22 fret guitars are more harmonically happening has not failed on me yet. If it has to do with the fact that it's under the 24th fret harmonic or not is beyond me, but I can't see any other reason for it. I even played a 22 with a DiMarzio D-Activator in the neck position, and even with all that output, more subtle harmonics were coming out than on 24 fret guitars. And I'm a sucker for that, so I immediately notice if it isn't there.

24 fret guitars are just more stale in their sounds, some people prefer it as it is more articulate, but there's a lot less variation in the sound.

EliNoPants

Reaction score

hm, this sounds like it's gonna wind up being a bolt/set/thru neck type of issue, when it's really more about the actual quality of the guitar/pickups...now i want scientific research done...oh fuckit, i'm gonna take a shower and go get a burrito

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's funny how people seem to find these things like once a year :lol: Nice looking guitar in the first post, wouldn't mind owning one.
These are the designs Tom Anderson did for them, including the pickups.

Look familiar? Alot of the 6-string Japanese Schecters are nearly identical to Anderson guitars.

I'm pretty sure this is why Schecter can't sell these designs in the US.
Why don't you read Schecter's tagline...the original california custom guitar...they are the ones who came up with it, Anderson worked for them and don't forget they are just fancy looking strats. They do sell them in the US but only as custom shop models.

troyguitar

Reaction score
hm, this sounds like it's gonna wind up being a bolt/set/thru neck type of issue, when it's really more about the actual quality of the guitar/pickups...now i want scientific research done...oh fuckit, i'm gonna take a shower and go get a burrito

It's not a subjective issue like that at all. It's actually a pretty simple idea if you sit down and think about it for a minute.

It has nothing to do with pickup placement vs. that particular harmonic node.

It is simply pickup placement vs. the effective string length of the note you're playing. When you're playing around the 12th fret (more or less where most leads are centered), the neck pickup is right in the middle of the effective string length if it's placed where the 24th fret would be. This "sweet spot" is where you will actually hear less harmonics because the fundamental is at its strongest in the middle of the string.

Moving the neck pickup further down toward the bridge just moves that sweet spot further along the neck a couple of frets.

If your leads (or whatever you use the neck pickup for) are generally played on higher frets, you'll probably prefer the 24-fret guitar both tonally and practically.

Korngod

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Contributor
Reaction score
as far as looks go, i like most schecters even though i dont care for how the necks feel. but im not so sure this one is my cup of tea.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
Theres something rather unsettling about this model, the neck looks way too big for the body, the fret board looks cheap and nasty,and the headstock looks like a ballerina shoe.

Arctodus

king of the monsters
Reaction score

Its not just a harmonic its a node on the string. The 24th fret also cuts the string into 4ths. 21 fret guitars have the node right under the neck pickup, 22 usually has the upper coil of the humbucker. But enough of that super laden bull shit it doesn't make you play any better.

Japan schecters are beast. I want that 7 string jag so bad :bowdown:

')