Superbowl Halftime show

• Thread starter JoeyBTL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nats

Reaction score
:lol: I love Iron Maiden so much more now.

The best is how the producers already have these special shots and angles set up for certain parts of the song for dramatic TV effect and the band's trolling them so hard completely screws it up. They cut to a specific shot for a specific guitar or drum part and the person isn't synced up or even in the shot. It's comedy gold :lol:

Misfit

Reaction score
I'f I was told that I had to fake a performance, I think I would back out. The nirvana thing is a good idea too, but... integrity.

Igotsoul4u

Reaction score
I say its BS to fake it......ever!! People play stadiums all the time and have done so since the beatles played shea stadium! I just hate the fact that not everyone realizes the show was pre-recorded and goes around saying how great they were at performing. eff that!

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
This is just the norm nowadays. I heard it once rationalized as "there is a certain standard that people expect" but I really feel that is like expecting all women to have implants.

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
Sad fact is majority of people don't care if it's pre-recorded or not, nor do they probably ever even question it. They just want famous people on the stage.

Leveebreaks

Dooooooooom
Reaction score
They had 5 minutes to construct and move a stage into position. The Chilis sounded so good live that I knew right then and there they were faking :lol: because when I saw them at Maine Rd they were awful. Maybe they shouldn't have had James Brown as support though, it made them look even more amateur.

Back to topic though...not a fan of Bruno Mars but his band were awesome.

flint757

Reaction score
I posted this awhile back on Facebook, and a buddy commented saying:
I mean, perhaps the bands are told to do this?
One thing is for sure, Bruno Mars PLAYED LIVE.
The Red Hot Chili Peppers did NOT play live. (Chad was doing fills on drums when it was just a straight simple beat. Klinghoffer was going nuts on the guitar, without his hands even on the fretboard, for the solo. And Flea forgeo his dummy wireless unit.) Yeah...

I know the guy who manages Kid Rock and the same shit occurred for them when they played the Super Bowl. According to the story I heard Kid Rock made a big deal about it and they allowed only the guitarist to be plugged in.

I imagine if you wait to the last minute to make a stink about it they would have no choice, but to oblige, right?

They are told to do it though.

As for drums, if you know your parts well I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between a mimed drum set and the real deal. People only notice when the drummer is clearly not playing along.

flint757

Reaction score
Actually, I don't think anyone gets paid for the Super Bowl halftime at all.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I just think it's an unnecessary worry that they are avoiding. There is so much technical stuff going on during the Super Bowl and so much that can potentially go wrong with a large-scale live event like that, the last thing they need to worry about is micing everything up and mixing the sound of live instruments for the tv and stadium audience, when 9/10 people watching couldn't care less.

it's a corporate event, nothing more.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I'm against bands who uses playback during shows where people pays to see the band perform. Here, people were there for a football game, in that case I really dont mind personally

sartorious

a good lurking guy
Reaction score
I just think it's an unnecessary worry that they are avoiding. There is so much technical stuff going on during the Super Bowl and so much that can potentially go wrong with a large-scale live event like that, the last thing they need to worry about is micing everything up and mixing the sound of live instruments for the tv and stadium audience, when 9/10 people watching couldn't care less.

it's a corporate event, nothing more.

Pretty much. I can understand the motivation for the corporations involved to minimize risk.

It's also an event with quite a bit of nationalism. A similar motivation would exist from this camp to ensure things go according to plan.

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
I'm against bands who uses playback during shows where people pays to see the band perform. Here, people were there for a football game, in that case I really dont mind personally

I agree with this. If you're going to a concert to see a band, that band should actually be PLAYING. However here you're going to see a football game and the halftime "entertainment" is somewhat understood (through the years) to look good - if you're actually playing or not is secondary. I'm guessing the RHCP did it as a goof - not plugging in - sort of a weak protest.

And for all the people who say they wouldn't do this, if told "you must fake your playing - you won't actually be plugged in" - well, good for you. It really is good that you have high moral standards & I commend you on that. But I'm a realistic person - if I got a big paycheck for this one event I'd do it (I'm not a rich person so I can say this). All the rest of the time @ concerts I'd actually play - because THAT would bug me, since people come to see YOU at a concert.

When I watched the Super Bowl I thought I was seeing things, because I could tell they weren't plugged in. I was disgusted. But after I thought about it I figured the RHCP really probably didn't have any control - either you play by our (NFL) rules or we find somebody else. So actually I really didn't care much.

Nats

Reaction score
People are there for the Super Bowl, not a 15 minute performance by today's hottest/worst pop stars. The NFL isn't going to sell/not sell tickets based on who's performing. If powers that be are so afraid of technical snafus then just let whoever the top of the nation college marching band is play. For some reason people eat that stuff up. Or is that just in the south?

I'm sure it will mean so much more to a college marching band kid, whose life is destined to just being a high school marching band teacher once they graduate, than some pop group who is already super famous.

Bear R.

Bear R.-
Reaction score
You'd think they'd at least plug in a cord..ha,ha..oh well.the system gets away w/whatever they want.so why not them..America isn't the same anymore..our American pride is dyin...and bitchin isn't gonna change nothin.their gonna do what they want.and whats worse,some people love it . even though there out there fakin it.and oh well is what we have to say..man,thats what gonna kill this country..wow.sorry guys I usually don't even get involved in this kinda thing...all I can say is what the DUDE says..what a bummer man..what a bummer.and we all know the dude abides..ha,ha..God Bless..Barry.

')