Superior Drummer Q&A

• Thread starter Winspear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fr4nci2c0

Reaction score
Question about metal foundry vs. bulb avatar pack. Ok so I have the bulb avatar pack and I wonder if I have reached the limitations of it? and should drop cash for metal foundry. The other possibilty is I still suck a fat one at all aspects of recording music and bulb avtar pack can sound really good I just haven't EQd good enough. Thoughts? Opinions?

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
Question about metal foundry vs. bulb avatar pack. Ok so I have the bulb avatar pack and I wonder if I have reached the limitations of it? and should drop cash for metal foundry. The other possibilty is I still suck a fat one at all aspects of recording music and bulb avtar pack can sound really good I just haven't EQd good enough. Thoughts? Opinions?

I found the Metal Foundry to be quite a bit harder to mix than some of the other packs. It has an inherent sort of "thrashy" production to it that is not super flexible if that's not what you're going for in the first place.
It's very raw sounding compared to the Avatar, Rock Warehouse and Metal Machine packs, which I have.
So if you're using the "bulb" presets because you're not sure if you're mixing the drums correctly, I wouldn't spend the money on the MF kit. The cymbals are pretty awesome on it, but the shells are my least favorite of the packs I own.

noise in my mind

Reaction score

I think it just comes down to preference at this point. I find the avatar kind of thin sounding. I think The bulb preset is a good place to start, but try making some kits from scratch with avatar before throwing down $$$ on metal foundry. Avatar is pretty flexible. trust me the limitations are in your skill (no offense intended), not the avatar kit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Hey all
I'm stacking snares. In the overheads though, the X-drum snare I've chosen is appearing on the mid to hard left of the mix in the OH. This is nowhere NEAR where the regular snare is in the OH mix. How do I put the X-drum snare where the normal snare is in the OH mix? They sound together in the centre as a combined MIDI node, but I have no idea which mics they're going through to do that. I haven't got any microphones in assignment to spare except things like AMH Far.

Merge

Reaction score
I have a question for everyone, just trying to decide if I should buy a new computer. I bought Superior Drummer 2.3 yesterday, I haven't loaded it into my computer yet. I have 8gb of RAM, 1 TB hard drive, the processor is an Intel Core i3. Is all of this enough?? I think that the RAM is enough, my concern in the processor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
Just a quick heads up that CreativeLive is streaming a Superior Drummer class today. It's free while it streams and will hopefully contain some good info for everyone who uses it.

Miscreant

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting some phase issues on my snare in Superior Drummer's Metal Machine.

Any idea how I can fix this? I'm new to the software (and to drum sounds in general in my recording setup), and I'm still kinda wrapping my head around phase and how to deal with it, etc.

Any tips super-appreciated.

bensjjjammin

Reaction score
The SD 2.0 comes in 5 discs. So i loaded the first disk, i install the Sound installer exe., not even 2 mins there was an error, so i changed the destination folder to my Desktop/SD2.0 folder. it worked but then after it took some time to continue i put in the 2nd disc when it asked me to, then it froze and never continued. I tried loading the first disc after aborting but then the the first error showed up again. what to do?? I got it to work years ago when i just bought it...

bensjjjammin

Reaction score
im downloading from my toontrack account that i found on their site. i registered the serial # from the box back when i bought it. hope this works!! still downloading from toontrack!! maybe installing straight from the discs is outdated

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting some phase issues on my snare in Superior Drummer's Metal Machine.

Any idea how I can fix this? I'm new to the software (and to drum sounds in general in my recording setup), and I'm still kinda wrapping my head around phase and how to deal with it, etc.

Any tips super-appreciated.

That sounds kinda strange. Which mics are out of phase? Have you bounced the audio and looked at the waveforms?

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
I don't work for Toontrack, and you should really contact their support if you want real help, but for basic troubleshooting:

- do you have enough disk space for the install?
- Is your OS compatible with SD 2.0?
- is your disc drive working correctly?
- can you install other programs from the disc drive?
- does your system meet all the specs specified on the box?

If all of these are "yes", contact support.

I installed SD2.0 from the disc completely without problem, btw.

Miscreant

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, it is odd. I'm not sure which mics are acting up yet--I haven't really looked into it (not quite knowing how to, yet...).

I'm just put out feelers right now to see if anyone else has experienced this. The snare phase typically comes up when there are hits close together.

Laso

Reaction score
Hey guys, do u know how can i set a standard MIDI velocity on pro tools? It's set to 80 but i think it's not loud enough for drums.

MatthewK

Reaction score
Maybe the disc scratched or something? I've never had an issue with mine.

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
Copy all disks to a folder then try to install from it.
While copying you'll see if any disk is scratched or something.

CassDarkwing

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I just got these drum samples from Nolly https://gumroad.com/l/TeMD# and I am trying to figure out how to just simply.....use them ha. Normally I just do the Superior Drummer drums, as I also have Nolly's Metal Machine Presets, but I would like to know if it's possible to add the samples I just linked above to my SD2.0 GUI. I'm new to samples, normally I just stick with Metal Machine. I would really like to be able to utilize these samples within SD2.0.

I am using Cubase 8 Elements.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I just got these drum samples from Nolly https://gumroad.com/l/TeMD# and I am trying to figure out how to just simply.....use them ha. Normally I just do the Superior Drummer drums, as I also have Nolly's Metal Machine Presets, but I would like to know if it's possible to add the samples I just linked above to my SD2.0 GUI. I'm new to samples, normally I just stick with Metal Machine. I would really like to be able to utilize these samples within SD2.0.

I am using Cubase 8 Elements.

Sadly, you can't load custom samples in Superior Drummer so the samples you got won't work with it.

Latest posts