Superior Drummer Q&A

• Thread starter Winspear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CassDarkwing

Reaction score
Sadly, you can't load custom samples in Superior Drummer so the samples you got won't work with it.

Yeah, unfortunately I have since figured this out for myself. Oh well, I can get my money back and go about my day. Would have been nice to be able to use them though!

Masoo2

Reaction score
Since the SDXs (except Progressive Foundry) are on sale, what are your favorite ones?

I'm considering either the NY Studios Vol. 3 or Metal Machinery, but I'd like some thoughts on other SDXs as well.

Going for a modern metal sound, but I'd like for the drums to sound "real," if that makes sense. Big and fat snares that still crack, full yet punchy kicks, and nice cymbals that aren't too bright or piercing, etc...

Random3

Reaction score
Granted, these are the only two I have used, but I get great results from Metal Foundry and Metal Machinery. Blending those kits with the Avatar kit gives me basically everything I would want from SD.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

axemanrio

Reaction score
I seem to get better results with Metal Foundry than Metal Machinery... maybe that's because I've owned it longer and therefore used it more. I think it's important to layer the snare and kicks (using X-drums) to get a good sound with any of the kits however.

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
How do you guys blend them? Do you use Slate Trigger?

You would use Slate trigger if you wanted to blend in something that is not inside a Toontrack library, like a Slate snare for example, or your own sample.

To blend in an additional Toontrack sample you would use the x-drum feature and then simply adjust the volume slider for that new "instrument" you created.
You can also adjust how much of that sample goes into individual mics, like your overheads, rooms, and bleed.

Here's a very quick tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH3bVYSFMUU

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
You would use Slate trigger if you wanted to blend in something that is not inside a Toontrack library, like a Slate snare for example, or your own sample.

To blend in an additional Toontrack sample you would use the x-drum feature and then simply adjust the volume slider for that new "instrument" you created.
You can also adjust how much of that sample goes into individual mics, like your overheads, rooms, and bleed.

Here's a very quick tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH3bVYSFMUU

Ok, now I get it....tnx :)

Tomen

Genetically blessed
Reaction score
Since the SDXs (except Progressive Foundry) are on sale, what are your favorite ones?

I'm considering either the NY Studios Vol. 3 or Metal Machinery, but I'd like some thoughts on other SDXs as well.

Going for a modern metal sound, but I'd like for the drums to sound "real," if that makes sense. Big and fat snares that still crack, full yet punchy kicks, and nice cymbals that aren't too bright or piercing, etc...

NY vol 3 will not be your best choice for metal drums, i'd go with the MM. I have both FYI. :)

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
I really like the progressive foundry, takes alot of resources but once you print it, it's easy :)

jerm

Reaction score
^I pre-ordered it then my computer's motherboard took a dive the night before it was released :(

Drezik27

Reaction score
I'm really digging it. Couple producer presets on there that I think I can see becoming go-to presets for me.

Omega139

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately I have since figured this out for myself. Oh well, I can get my money back and go about my day. Would have been nice to be able to use them though!

Excuse me if this was already mentioned here, but I think SD3 now allows custom samples.

jerm

Reaction score
^Yes it does. Not multi-velocity samples but it does allow importing samples.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I need to read through this entirely but my questions are probably super basic.

Does the stock library seem weak or is it just me? I hardly have any presets available and the tap to find does not really find what my beat is. Drum Grooves is what I am speaking of.

I assume I have to buy expansions if I want some decent patterns?

Dang micro transactions smh. Thing was $400 to begin with and while it sounds way better, EZ1 seems much easier to use.

My other question. Can you efficiently use the piano roll to program each hit? I can see the roll but I cannot maximize it big enough to fit in all the hits in that I need.

Last edited:

jerm

Reaction score
^I don't like the MIDI roll inside SD3 so I'm still using the Reaper Piano Roll for now.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
^I don't like the MIDI roll inside SD3 so I'm still using the Reaper Piano Roll for now.
So I can drag the Midi from SD3 into Reaper and edit? Sorry I am very new with SD3 and have not had much time with it. I tried to double click the Midi item in reaper and nothing.

I will have to try and figure this one out. I do plan to buy some Midi packs but I really need to figure out how to edit my own as well.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I read through all of this now and have noticed that there is not much talk since SD3 has been released.

My only other question is are the packs cross compatible? I have been debating on which pack to get and Metal Machinery appeals to me the most but it looks like this will only work for SD2?

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
I read through all of this now and have noticed that there is not much talk since SD3 has been released.

My only other question is are the packs cross compatible? I have been debating on which pack to get and Metal Machinery appeals to me the most but it looks like this will only work for SD2?

Yes, they are. All my EZx and SDX's from SD2 work on SD3. I have metal machinery, which is cool, but the Prog Foundry is the best sounding of all to me. 17 snares and all the shells sound great.

Latest posts