Swamp Thangs - Disappointing

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I got an Eminence Swamp thing in the mail yesterday for a 2x12 I use when i don't feel like moving my Splawn 4x12. These speakers get tons of love all over the net, but when i hooked everything up and tried it out, it's definitely not my cup of tea. Practically no mids, boomy low end, and fizzy highs - sounded like a bad modeler. I have a B52 AT1216 in the same cab that sounds 10x better. I'm wondering if it just needs some break in time to open up a little more. It really added a plasticy "modeling" sound to my tube amps, which is no good as i plan to use it with a Pod HD at times.

I'm also thinking the Swamp Thang might need to be pushed harder to open it up more. It might turn out as good pairing with another more mid heavy speaker like the B52 or a Wizard, but alone it was just too scooped for me.

This is the first eminence i've not liked much. Pretty sure i can't return it as i've already put screws through the holes. I'm hoping it will get better with time and volume.

I'd love to hear some other opinions or experience with the Swamp Thang. Tell me it's going to be OK! :lol:

flint757

Reaction score
I matched my Swamp Thang with a Tonespotter. Nice balance between highs and lows.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fromeasttowes

Reaction score
Texas Heats compliment great with Swamp Thangs. They fill in everything that's "missing". Also, the swamp thang is a 150w speaker.. Its gonna need some serious power to drive it hard.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
You definitely need to break that sucker in for 10 hours at high volumes before it loses its brittleness. The ST sounds ok at lower volumes, but for it to really impart some nice character, it kinda needs to be driven fairly hard. I had one paired with a Tonker and it sounded really nice, but only when I was pushing volumes that aren't conducive for keeping your hearing.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the input everyone.Ill definitely give it some time to break in. The at1216 should be a great compliment as its really focused on the high mids. Loved texas heats when ive used them too. When testing it I was using each speaker by itself to really compare em, need to blend both and break it in it sounds like. Thanks again. Ill report back in a few weeks on how it is.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
I didnt notice much difference after the alotted break in time. You need to push them(they are 150watts a piece) and as was mentioned, they work best when coupled with a high/mid speaker. I paired mine with v30s and they compliment each other perfectly. I could see where a v30 fan woudlnt like the swampys alone. I'm into dark tones, so i am a fan of the swampys and dont like high/mid speakers. But yea, just blend it with another like speaker. As was mentioned above, texas heats are a good pairing too.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
I love my Swamp Thang in my amp.

I loved my two Swamp Thangs paired with my Governor and Wizard in my 2x12's. I had one ST in each cab with the Gov in one and the Wiz in the other.

I didn't like them to start with as they sounded very stiff for a bit before they had significant break in time (as did the Gov and Wiz).

Now, you'll have to pry my Swamp Thang out of my cold dead hand... :scream:

But, it might not be your cup of tea!

I did throw both of my Swamp Thangs into one 2x12 to see, and it was very dark. The other cab with the Gov and Wiz was very bright. Switched it back and it was an awesome blend. With that being said, the ST in my ISP Theta Combo sounds amazing, but it's long since broken in...

What amp are you using?

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I definitely enjoy my Swamp for a massive (and dark/fizz reducing) sound out of a 1x12. I really want to see what's up with the Tonespotter/Texas Heat/Gov combinations. Does anyone know what the different between Tonespotter and Heat would be?

It definitely needs some break-in. I think I'm still breaking mine in since I mainly push it with lunch box heads and can only crank/terrorize my neighbors in small doses, but little by little it sounds better and the mids are coming out easier.

I'd consider exploring/adjusting new EQ settings since it has such a particular voice of its own.

My point of reference is: Hate harsh/fizzy speakers, especially when rockin' bright/fizzy heads.

sear

Reaction score
I have a Swamp Thang and the thing definitely required some break in time. Out of the box I was a bit disappointed - it was nice but mids were lacking and it was harsh in the highs. After about a week or two however, it balanced out much more. To me it's a very honest-sounding speaker - a little bit scooped but not with huge peaks accentuated like V30s and a few other popular speakers. There is still a bit of fizz to it - but as an American-voiced speaker that is to be expected.

I will say that while it sounds okay at lower volumes, it really needs to be cranked to sound its best. It can sound a bit too dark and even one-dimensional when you've got it at low/practice volumes. Crank your amp up to something approaching a live band volume and all of a sudden it becomes massive and full-sounding.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I love my Swamp Thang in my amp.
I loved my two Swamp Thangs paired with my Governor and Wizard in my 2x12's. I had one ST in each cab with the Gov in one and the Wiz in the other.
I didn't like them to start with as they sounded very stiff for a bit before they had significant break in time (as did the Gov and Wiz).
Now, you'll have to pry my Swamp Thang out of my cold dead hand... :scream:
But, it might not be your cup of tea!
I did throw both of my Swamp Thangs into one 2x12 to see, and it was very dark. The other cab with the Gov and Wiz was very bright. Switched it back and it was an awesome blend. With that being said, the ST in my ISP Theta Combo sounds amazing, but it's long since broken in...

What amp are you using?

Man lots of great info and responses from everyone. Honestly ive been lazy, only tried it with my at100 out in garage. Have a dual rec and pod hd in my practice area but havent moved the cab in there yet. But I know that b52 better than any amp so its a good test amp for other gear. The low end is def there - from an amp lacking low end.

Ive heard people say swamp thangs are just texas heats with bigger magnets, but they sound way different. The heats have nice present and smooth mids. The swamp mids are muffled (for now at least). Thanks again fellas

vick1000

Reaction score
The Swamps are more scooped than the Heats, if you like Heats, you won't like Swamps much. But they do compliment each other well, since the Heats can be a little harsh on the high end, and the Swamps harsh in the mids. Bother are meant to be pushed hard though, their character at lower volumes is not all that impressive.

sear

Reaction score
Man lots of great info and responses from everyone. Honestly ive been lazy, only tried it with my at100 out in garage. Have a dual rec and pod hd in my practice area but havent moved the cab in there yet. But I know that b52 better than any amp so its a good test amp for other gear. The low end is def there - from an amp lacking low end.

Ive heard people say swamp thangs are just texas heats with bigger magnets, but they sound way different. The heats have nice present and smooth mids. The swamp mids are muffled (for now at least). Thanks again fellas
Remember too that if you have a reference tone for your amp you might just expect it to sound a certain way, either from an album or based on your own setup. Speakers vary the sound of any setup dramatically and the character of the Swamp Thangs may either be not what you are used to, what you want, or something that require some time to appreciate or some setting changes to get sounding how you expect.

WarMachine

Reaction score
As for the break in time you could always run some music through it, like something from a computer (if you have any recording programs) and just cover that sucker up with a blanket or something. That's what i did when i first got my governors. Left the shit running before i went to work and when i came back it sounded like a whole different cab lol. Really smoothed out the sound. And like Fromeasttowes said, if those puppies are 150w a piece they definitely need the extra drive to push those lows out. Good luck man, i hope they turn out for ya!

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
I have to also add, and perhaps it is my particular set up, that I LOVE the sound of my ST at low volumes. I like it loud too, but it sounds great to my ears. I think that's what makes Eminence speakers so awesome... so much character.

Keep us posted!

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Update - the Swamp Thang has broken in a bit and has lost some of that cardboard/plastic tightness. It's still a very different sounding speaker. I've paired it with an Eminence Legend but that needs to break in now too - it's not all that different from teh Swamp Thang initially which really surprised me. I'm beginning to wonder about the cab (it's an older peavey 2x12 close back front vented)

What sounds killer is pairing the Cab with my Splawn 4x12 (which is my favorite cab i've owned). It's like running a dual amp setup since the two cabs are so different sounding. Really fills out the entire range - which may not be the best thing for a band but sounds killer at home!! Anyway, starting the like the Swamp Thang more. Still not a tone of hours on it, maybe 10-15 tops (i dont normally gig with it), so i imagine it will break in some more

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
eminence is a brand that is known for needing to be broken in quite hard before they really come into their own. I used to use my 600w Technics home theater receiver and cd changer and gradually increase the volume while playing them 8-10 hours a day for about 5 days. It made quite a bit of difference between that and an out of box speaker.