Swapping magnets for the stock pups on a Parker Fly Deluxe

• Thread starter Metalus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
So this dude on the Parker forums suggested i swap out the current magnets from my stock pups on my Parker fly deluxe for some Alnico 8 magnets saying that they could probably help me achieve a more "metal" tone with them. I was originally intending on getting some extensive routing done and installing some blackouts, but seeing as thats gonna be a big financial (and not to mention painful :lol:) burden, ive decided to hold off on that for awhile. So with that said, what magnets do u guys recommend i look into?

Alnico 2,3,4,5,8 or ceramic magnets? What are their tonal characteristics? The type of tone i want is a mix between Killswitch Engage (The end of heartache), Jeff Loomis (Zero Order Phase) and Unearth (The March).

I also heard that i could get a preamp installed to achieve this. Something like an EMG Afterburner or EXG perhaps?

Thanks in advance for the responses guys. :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Racerdeth

Reaction score
Do you absolutely have to use your Parker stockies? Just given the sounds you mentioned my first instinct would be to put some EMGs in the badboy!

Cheers
Nick

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Do you absolutely have to use your Parker stockies? Just given the sounds you mentioned my first instinct would be to put some EMGs in the badboy!

Cheers
Nick

That was my first option lol. But theres so much shit behind putting EMG's in this guitar that its not even funny. Theres extensive routing that would need to be done, the neck pup might snap through the body, the guitar may become structurally weak etc. etc.

This is straight from Parker themselves. Theyre the ones who advised me against it. It can be done but i havent found too many people that can. I know one person who owns a shop in Arizona that can do it (Heres the link: Parker Guitars Forum - Seymour Duncan Blackouts scroll down till u see the black fly deluxe. This is the exact model i have. They have blackouts instead of EMG's but its basically the same thing), and one person in Illinois but i dont feel very comfortable shipping my guitar to someone i dont knw. Im trying to weigh my other options. Any suggestions?

lobee

vicioustabbing
Reaction score
You can get them rewound by Bare Knuckle Pickups if you're willing to spend the cash(and the time without pickups).

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Seems pricey but worth it :D Thanks guys :yesway:

Would a cheaper solution be an EMG afterburner? How about an EMG EXG?

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
A BKP rewind is definately the way to go. One of these days I'm gonna send off the Duncans in my Mojo to Tim and the boys to work their magic on. The stock Duncans wound to Warpig specs should be pretty awesome.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
A BKP rewind is definately the way to go. One of these days I'm gonna send off the Duncans in my Mojo to Tim and the boys to work their magic on. The stock Duncans wound to Warpig specs should be pretty awesome.

I heard that because of how small the original dimarzio gen1's are, a rewound would be a bad idea because they will end up overwound and muddy sounding or something like that no matter what u do:scratch:. Is this true?

For now im planning on just replacing the magnets. Is this possible considering how much smaller the dimarzios r compared to regular pickups?

Im planning on buying this: http://www.wymoreguitars.com/Magnet-Alnico-8-Humbucker_p_325.html

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Sorry for necrobumping, but can anyone give me some advice on the magnets in the link I posted above?

EDIT: Nvm. apparently they dont sell them anymore :(

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
i used to have a fly deluxe as well. i was just thinking a blackout modular preamp would be cool in it. it would require some interesting rewiring but it seems to be what you want.

')